Old San Juan Hotel Cancellations?

ErikaC

Way back in March I booked (using my United miles) the Sheraton Old San Juan for the night before our 1/7/18 Southern Caribbean Cruise.  I've been hearing rumors about last minute hotel cancellations in San Juan either due to hotel hurricane recovery issues or hotels housing relief workers instead (some sources are claiming the hotels get more $$$ from the relief funds).  I had not heard a peep from the Sheraton, but I decided to call today to check on my reservation and they advised me that they are not accepting guests until 1/8!  I have since been on the phone with United who is telling me that the Sheraton is attempting to secure a reservation for me at a comparable hotel. I will give them a day or two before I fully panic and start calling again, but I am feeling quite nervous.  Of course, I am very sympathetic to all the challenges and struggles that Puerto Rico is facing; still, I want to make sure we have a place to sleep that night!  Anyone else experiencing these issues?  Oh, and if you did the same thing as we did and planned to arrive in San Juan the day before the cruise, you may want to check on your reservation.... 

Yes, it's weird - Expedia also appears to be accepting reservations for 1/6, however, Sheraton's website has a statement posted that they are not accepting reservations until after January 8.  I have spoken with reps at both the Sheraton AND United Mileage Plus and both are advising me the same - no reservations allowed prior to 1/8.  But I had never received any notice of cancellation, so what if I had not called???   Feeling anxious.

I had reservations made well over a year ago for a stay at the Condado Hilton for March 7-10, three days before our scheduled cruise on March 10, 2018.  I was notified several months ago by email that my reservation was canceled.  I immediately started to research other hotels that were opened.  We like to come in three days ahead a time to avoid flight cancellations or delays due to weather.  (I live in Michigan)  Made reservations at the Stellaris Marriott Resort in San Juan.  They have been opened and have welcomed guests since the beginning of December.  I would caution anyone with reservations to doubled check with the hotel chain to make sure that your reservation still exists.

OK, Whew!  I think we're OK.  Since I was getting conflicting information about my reservation from both Sheraton (corporate) and United Mileage Plus, I did some sleuthing and finally found the following email address that goes directly to the hotel:  [email protected].  I also copied the hotel's general manager, Larry Vitale at [email protected].  I immediately got an email from Mr. Vitale and a phone call back from a reservation manager who is actually at the hotel in Puerto Rico and who reassured me that my reservation was fine.  I will cross my fingers that I can trust this.  I am sharing this email address in case anyone else is experiencing the same anxiety and confusion that I was.  The "Contact Us" option on Sheraton's website was only sending back generic Auto-replies, but I had not received any specific response.

• 2 weeks later...

Another suggestion based on what we've planned to do prior to our Adventure cruise - 

Check out Air BnB! There are a lot of locations in the heart of Old San Juan that could be more cost effective than a hotel, and are already located in the areas of the city that have bounced back. 

On 1/8/2018 at 7:52 PM, KLAconQueso said:

Another suggestion based on what we've planned to do prior to our Adventure cruise - 

Check out Air BnB! There are a lot of locations in the heart of Old San Juan that could be more cost effective than a hotel, and are already located in the areas of the city that have bounced back. 

...and much more character than a hotel!