Royal Caribbean raises VOOM packages!!

My way overly complex spreadsheet/eyechart comparing Voom pricing on board using C&A discounts versus advance cruise planner versus waiting to purchase on day two on board can be found below (slow day today).

Day 2 strategy involves waiting until day 2 to purchase on board.  With so much going on during day 1 do you really need Voom while in port and you possibly have cell phone data?   For non-US residents who don't have cell phone data while in the US the day 2 strategy may be less appealing.

Summary

Diamond Plus - Always cheapest to wait until day 2.  If you must have it on day 1 its cheaper to buy it on board except for 12 night or longer cruises.

Diamond - Cheapest to wait until day 2 except for 11 nights and longer cruises.  If you must have it on day 1 its cheaper to buy it in advance except for 5 night or shorter cruises.

Platinum/Emerald -  Cheapest to wait until day 2.  If you must have it on day 1 its cheaper to buy it in advance.

Gold - Cheapest to wait until day 2 except for 10 night cruises or longer.  If you must have it on day 1 its cheaper to buy it in advance.

Comparison does not take into account occasional Voom sale events.

If anyone has the on board offer letters for shorter cruises I'd like to validate some assumptions.  I tend to do longer cruises.

Voom Comparison Cruise Planner 15.99.pdf

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/10/2018 at 12:11 AM, twangster said:

My way overly complex spreadsheet/eyechart comparing Voom pricing on board using C&A discounts versus advance cruise planner versus waiting to purchase on day two on board can be found below (slow day today).

Day 2 strategy involves waiting until day 2 to purchase on board.  With so much going on during day 1 do you really need Voom while in port and you possibly have cell phone data?   For non-US residents who don't have cell phone data while in the US the day 2 strategy may be less appealing.

Summary

Diamond Plus - Always cheapest to wait until day 2.  If you must have it on day 1 its cheaper to buy it on board except for 12 night or longer cruises.

Diamond - Cheapest to wait until day 2 except for 11 nights and longer cruises.  If you must have it on day 1 its cheaper to buy it in advance except for 5 night or shorter cruises.

Platinum/Emerald -  Cheapest to wait until day 2.  If you must have it on day 1 its cheaper to buy it in advance.

Gold - Cheapest to wait until day 2 except for 10 night cruises or longer.  If you must have it on day 1 its cheaper to buy it in advance.

Comparison does not take into account occasional Voom sale events.

If anyone has the on board offer letters for shorter cruises I'd like to validate some assumptions.  I tend to do longer cruises.

Voom Comparison Cruise Planner 15.99.pdf

Any idea what the regular price is for the 2 device package? Why is there no one scoping when I need them, sigh.  LOL 

3 minutes ago, KathyC said:

Any idea what the regular price is for the 2 device package? Why is there no one scoping when I need them, sigh.  LOL 

Posted this in another thread today related to single day pricing.  This is on board pricing in 2018.  Ignore the green box, the multi-device plans are above it.

2 devices, Surf & Stream $18.99 per device per day, so $37.98 per day on board assuming you purchase it for the "Full Voyage".

Voom Day Pass.jpeg

Compare this to advanced pricing in cruise planner based on normal 20% discounts:

5a6fc7e1606f7_Voomadvancedmulti.jpeg.18c88f8ecc75dcb6ee6f7e7ad9e8ac1f.jpeg

2 devices, Surf & Stream $15.19 per device per day, so $30.38 per day in advance.

A savings of $7.60 per day compared to on board pricing.

23 minutes ago, twangster said:

Posted this in another thread today related to single day pricing.  This is on board pricing in 2018.  Ignore the green box, the multi-device plans are above it.

2 devices, Surf & Stream $18.99 per device per day, so $37.98 per day on board assuming you purchase it for the "Full Voyage".

Voom Day Pass.jpeg

Compare this to advanced pricing in cruise planner based on normal 20% discounts:

5a6fc7e1606f7_Voomadvancedmulti.jpeg.18c88f8ecc75dcb6ee6f7e7ad9e8ac1f.jpeg

2 devices, Surf & Stream $15.19 per device per day, so $30.38 per day in advance.

A savings of $7.60 per day compared to on board pricing.

Thanks!  We're following your lead and trying to do the math for our upcoming Adventure sailing.  We ordered a refreshment package for our 20 yr old, and the soda & stream for our 18 yr old. We planned on sharing the one device plan.  When they were home from college between semesters we were discussing the cruise, and both said they don't want the drink packages, but would prefer not to share a Voom. So we're cancelling the drink packages and trying to decide if we buy the package in advance or wait until day 2.  :D  We're platinum on that voyage, 7 nights.  I'm thinking it may be beneficial to wait until day 2?

4 minutes ago, KathyC said:

Thanks!  We're following your lead and trying to do the math for our upcoming Adventure sailing.  We ordered a refreshment package for our 20 yr old, and the soda & stream for our 18 yr old. We planned on sharing the one device plan.  When they were home from college between semesters we were discussing the cruise, and both said they don't want the drink packages, but would prefer not to share a Voom. So we're cancelling the drink packages and trying to decide if we buy the package in advance or wait until day 2.  :D  We're platinum on that voyage, 7 nights.  I'm thinking it may be beneficial to wait until day 2?

As Platinum your on board offer of 15% off also applies to the multi-device plans on board.

Your math is like this assuming a 7 night cruise:

If you purchase a 2 device plan the moment you board on day 1:

$37.98 * 7 = $265.86 less 15% C&A discount = $225.98

If you purchase a 2 device plan on day 2:

$37.98 * 6 = $227.98 less 15% C&A discount = $193.70

Savings of $32.28 by waiting for day 2.

If you buy a 2 device plan in advance in the cruise planner:

$30.38 * 7 = $212.66

Savings of waiting until day 2 compared to advance purchase is $18.96.

Here is an interesting tidbit from Anthem last week.  At 11:30pm on day 1 I checked the on board pricing and it was already day 2 pricing!  So I was able to get connected on day 1 before midnight and it saved me $20 in my case on a 1 device plan.  Worst case you wait until you wake up on day 2.  

23 minutes ago, twangster said:

As Platinum your on board offer of 15% off also applies to the multi-device plans on board.

Your math is like this assuming a 7 night cruise:

If you purchase a 2 device plan the moment you board on day 1:

$37.98 * 7 = $265.86 less 15% C&A discount = $225.98

If you purchase a 2 device plan on day 2:

$37.98 * 6 = $227.98 less 15% C&A discount = $193.70

Savings of $32.28 by waiting for day 2.

If you buy a 2 device plan in advance in the cruise planner:

$30.38 * 7 = $212.66

Savings of waiting until day 2 compared to advance purchase is $18.96.

Here is an interesting tidbit from Anthem last week.  At 11:30pm on day 1 I checked the on board pricing and it was already day 2 pricing!  So I was able to get connected on day 1 before midnight and it saved me $20 in my case on a 1 device plan.  Worst case you wait until you wake up on day 2.  

My husband's math agrees with you!  I'm going to confirm with both boys when they come home for spring break that they truly do NOT want to drink packages (just to make sure) and I think we're going to go with the on board day 2 option.

6 hours ago, LetsTryThisTech said:

I'm a little confused right now. Did the price go up because I swear it went from 20% to 30% but its the same price it has been all week? Did I miss something?

RCI HQ actively participates in bring your kids to work for a day concept.  Often, they also let the kids do the work too.  Explains a lot.

11 hours ago, LetsTryThisTech said:

I'm a little confused right now. Did the price go up because I swear it went from 20% to 30% but its the same price it has been all week? Did I miss something?

My per day price went down $4.  On this sailing only...my others are still the higher price.