Royal Caribbean raises VOOM packages!!

May 2018 Adventure $15.99 S&S no Surf only offered

October 2018 Serenade $12.79 Surf and $15.99 S&S

Anthem July 2019 Nothing in the cruise planner yet

We bought a bundle during the Black Friday sale. I have a question (little confused at the wording) - do I have surf or surf & stream?  Adventure is not currently offering Surf only in the Cruise Planner...

"Sip, save and stay connected all cruise long with a bundle of two great favorites. We are bundling our Classic Soda Package with VOOM® high-speed internet, so you can enjoy unlimited soda in your Coca-Cola souvenir cup, while streaming all your favorite music, movies and sharing your unforgettable moments in real time. When you book now, you’ll save over 25% off the onboard price. *All Beverage Packages exclude any beverages served inside licensed Starbucks® stores."

Twice (for different ships) I have called asking for a clarification on the description...Voom packages all being listed as "Voom Surf & Stream" and the combo beverage/internet being listed simply as "Voom".  Both times I have been told that there is no longer any different levels, its all one speed, the website labels are just holdovers.

They do not know what they are talking about. RCCL customer service only read a script and are located on Oregon. I'm currently on the Rhapsody of the Seas and I inquired at the internet cafe and I was informed that Surf gives you .5 mb dl while Surf & Stream  will give you 4 mb dl. I became chummy with the internet cafe manager and he let me test both packages and I concur with what he previously stated. Also, you can upgrade/downgrade once if you wish. Hope this clears up any confusion.

17 hours ago, PRC said:

Twice (for different ships) I have called asking for a clarification on the description...Voom packages all being listed as "Voom Surf & Stream" and the combo beverage/internet being listed simply as "Voom".  Both times I have been told that there is no longer any different levels, its all one speed, the website labels are just holdovers.

The combo deal (Deluxe Beverage and VOOM) I got on my Majesty sailing was surf and stream.  They weren't advertising "surf" at all aboard the ship.  I think they're phasing it out.

Just logged on so I could share cost for Ovation in March and saw the items below - first time they have shown Surf and Surf & Stream as separate bundles - I have not actually seen the Surf only before! £7.90 is approx $10.60 per day.

I paid £9.57 per day for Surf & Stream (approx $12.80) but that is now £10.94 (approx $14.60).

Hopefully will drop to the $11.99 that seems to be showing elsewhere! Damn those different currencies! We should all be using bitcoins!

image.thumb.png.f8d140bb19b1ab02d02665ad7464423b.png 

On 12/25/2017 at 11:04 PM, twangster said:

This is the same pricing on Indy for the Christmas cruise.  $15.99 for Surf, $19.99 for Surf 7 stream.  The question is... is this just holiday premium pricing or a long term thing?  

My Nov 2018 Serenade sailing over Thanksgiving is at $19.99/day for Surf and Stream.  Nov 2016 it was just $8.99.  Ouch.

My current holdings:

Navigator January '18 - Classic Soda and Voom one device - $16.83/day

Independence February '18 - Classic Soda and Voom one device - $16.83/day

Oasis March '18 -  Classic Soda and Voom one device - $22.61/day

Freedom April '18 - Classic Soda and Voom one device - $18.47/day

The first 3 were purchased on the same day back in October...obviously there is/was a premium attached to Oasis-Class ships.

Freedom was purchased this past week during the latest "sale"... "sale" obviously being a relative term.  ;)

This is all just supply and demand.  More and more people need to be connected, so of course they are going to raise the prices.  And they will keep raising them until the total number of purchases tops out and starts going the other way.  With technology now a days, they can tinker with these things and instantly see the effects and adjust it accordingly.  And every one of us has a different breaking point at which we say, nah, it is not worth it to me now.  Raising the price of voom by just one dollar a day likely adds hundreds of thousands of dollars of pure profit per week to their bottom line.  And probably most everyone who wants to pay for voom will still pay an extra $7 per cruise for it.    

22 hours ago, JBC said:

This is all just supply and demand.  More and more people need to be connected, so of course they are going to raise the prices.  And they will keep raising them until the total number of purchases tops out and starts going the other way.  With technology now a days, they can tinker with these things and instantly see the effects and adjust it accordingly.  And every one of us has a different breaking point at which we say, nah, it is not worth it to me now.  Raising the price of voom by just one dollar a day likely adds hundreds of thousands of dollars of pure profit per week to their bottom line.  And probably most everyone who wants to pay for voom will still pay an extra $7 per cruise for it.    

Yet another reason to book a Grand Suite or above and get complimentary VOOM for the entire cruise!  :-)  It is very easy to get spoiled that way.....  Of course I'm sure that cost if factored into the price of the booking.......

Guest toodle68
22 hours ago, JBC said:

This is all just supply and demand.  More and more people need to be connected, 

Six of us just returned from a cruise and we had 1 connection between us. I had told the (adult) kids that if they wanted to pay $100 for internet, it was their choice. Me and the wife share 1 package since we need to be connected occasionally for house/dogs/sitter (and kids when we normally leave them home) etc..  Occasionally the kids used our phone for a few minutes to check something.

My daughter, who is normally the one who is heads down in her phone all day, said it was refreshing to be disconnected for a week.  

31 minutes ago, NeonD7 said:

Yet another reason to book a Grand Suite or above and get complimentary VOOM for the entire cruise!  :-)  It is very easy to get spoiled that way.....  Of course I'm sure that cost if factored into the price of the booking.......

@NeonD7 I'm with you all the way on that one!  Currently watching prices daily for that magic 45-60 day window for my Anthem cruise in March so I can get back into Sky class.  Complimentary VOOM is one of my selling points to my husband! lol

1 hour ago, Sabrinaklai said:

@NeonD7 I'm with you all the way on that one!  Currently watching prices daily for that magic 45-60 day window for my Anthem cruise in March so I can get back into Sky class.  Complimentary VOOM is one of my selling points to my husband! lol

We booked a crown loft again for the upcoming April Oasis cruise, we found a nice price dip that month.  Seems that after Spring break and before Summer vacation begins seems to be a sweet spot, we booked the same room last April for that reason.  The internet wasn't too bad, it was nice to have communication with the "real world" the entire time to keep up with our pet sitter and other family.  Sky class rocks!!  

3 hours ago, twangster said:

Odds are future sky class prices are already being edged up.  

This is particularly evident with Star Class. The price of the same cabin we booked in Feb 2016 (8330, 2 BR ATS...already VERY pricey) has doubled for our cruise in Feb 2019.

So you are absolutely correct.  The amenities are anything but free !

34 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

This is particularly evident with Star Class. The price of the same cabin we booked in Feb 2016 (8330, 2 BR ATS...already VERY pricey) has doubled for our cruise in Feb 2019.

So you are absolutely correct.  The amenities are anything but free !

Everyone needs to stop buying Star class so I have a chance.   Until then my budget limit is Sky class. ?

2 hours ago, twangster said:

Everyone needs to stop buying Star class so I have a chance.   Until then my budget limit is Sky class. ?

Same here! ?

Maybe Star class regulars like @WAAAYTOOO, @CGTLH will read this and have pity on us...it's on my cruise bucket list lol. I'm seriously taking @tiny260's advice and the next time I have a flexible year for cruising I will go through all the Oasis class itineraries and look for a dip one week in Star class. Hopefully that works.