Carnival offering social media package

Matt

Carnival announced today a new internet package that offers unlimited access Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, & Snapchat for a fee of just $5/day or $25/voyage.

I'd love to see Royal Caribbean offer something similar, especially for that kind of a price.  Would you buy it?

Carnival announced today a new internet package that offers unlimited access Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, & Snapchat for a fee of just $5/day or $25/voyage.

I'd love to see Royal Caribbean offer something similar, especially for that kind of a price.  Would you buy it?

For that price, absolutely. I am going to be buying the $199 Internet cruise package for my southern Caribbean cruise next month. Expensive but necessary.

Would buy it for sure, altough travelling with Carnival is not my idea of a cruise vacation. But that is indeed very cheap. I dont think we'll see Royal do something like that in short term.

I swore to never cruise Carnival again after our honeymoon cruise on them in 1996 as it in no way compared to Royal. However, we recently sailed them and were fairly impressed especially for the money paid. While I think Royal is a superior product, Carnival has improved enough that I wouldn't hesitate sailing on one of their newer ships again.

I swore to never cruise Carnival again after our honeymoon cruise on them in 1996 as it in no way compared to Royal. However, we recently sailed them and were fairly impressed especially for the money paid. While I think Royal is a superior product, Carnival has improved enough that I wouldn't hesitate sailing on one of their newer ships again.

I dont know if I'll ever cruise with Carnival (never did) But it's a good thing you gave them a second chance. Thanks for sharing with us. Things changes so fast I this industry.  I also beleive that Royal offers a superior product but I think they know it too. And that's when I'm affraid of maybe paying to much for an ameneties that other cruise line are offering at much lower customer friendly price.

In my oppinion, if they lower the price of some activities or packages,  they would sell more and overall make more money. Just look at activities on Labadee, everything not "included" are rather pretty expensive. 

I dont know if I'll ever cruise with Carnival (never did) But it's a good thing you gave them a second chance. Thanks for sharing with us. Things changes so fast I this industry.  I also beleive that Royal offers a superior product but I think they know it too. And that's when I'm affraid of maybe paying to much for an ameneties that other cruise line are offering at much lower customer friendly price.

In my oppinion, if they lower the price of some activities or packages,  they would sell more and overall make more money. Just look at activities on Labadee, everything not "included" are rather pretty expensive.

To be honest, the only reason I gave them a second chance was price and itinerary. I really wanted to do a Canada/New England cruise again and they were one of two ships doing it in June a couple of years ago out of Boston when we could go. Plus, their revitalization program was intriguing with new comedy clubs, Guy's Burgers, etc. what we really liked were the movies on deck, Guy's Burgers, cabin size, and the comedy club with four different comedians during the week and four shows per night. Their main showroom entertainment and MDR were inferior in my opinion to Royal as is their loyalty program. On their newest ship, I would argue that the buffet is better for lunch as are the additional daytime dining choices, but the WJ is much better for dinner.

My wife did feel that Carnival nickel and dimed you a bit more, but it wasn't excessive. I think our onboard spending wasn't much more than that on Royal. NCL is similar, with need to spend more for better dining. Of course, if that's not important to you, then you're saving money.

Believe RCI is out of step with lots of their pricing - Internet, wine, shore excursions, charging for kids, etc. Just ran numbers for 7nt Freedom Eastern Caribe, 2 adults, 2 children, balcony. $4600 compared to $1800 for competitor with comparable ship & itinerary, & amenities. They need to recognize that sound they hear is the competition foot steps. Quantrum rollout reviews aren't helping. The price of Loyal Royal is going up.

The pricing is part of the reason why my wife and I didn't cruise Royal after our son was born.  The third berth pricing was very high increasing the overall cost of the cruise.  On two of our cruises, we actually ended up on Disney as the price was actually cheaper than on Royal; the other two times it was comparable.  HAL also enticed us by offering free 3rd and 4th berth pricing as did Celebrity with reduced cost for the 3rd berth.  However, I recognize that Royal is publicly traded and owes it to its investors to charge as much as possible for their cabins and they have every right to do so if they can get it.

• 2 weeks later...

There's no way I'm paying $200+ for internet access on a vacation. But I would easily pay $25 for unlimited social media access. Royal would be money ahead by offering some of these more affordable options for their extra services rather than charging exhorbitant fees that only a few are able to enjoy.

• 6 months later...

This may be a bit of a Catch 22 for Royal.  Yes, paying $200 for a week of Internet access is a bit much for me as well but I believe that if they lower the price for access many more people would take them up on this offer and it would totally kill the bandwidth for everyone to connect and upload those great photo's they cannot wait to share.  I would pay the $25 once and then never again if it takes 15 minutes to upload a single photo. There would be a fine line with diminishing returns that Royal would have to consider to make it appealing for the business man/woman requiring to stay in touch using Internet access and the Cruiser that just wants to stay in touch with family and upload a picture. Neither scenario would create tolerable conditions for the other thus leaving the final alternative for Royal to increase the Equipment required to support a larger Network infrastructure to handle the increased demand for Bandwidth and we all know that the cost for this equipment means that it WILL be passed on to us.