Accident in Mexico

15 minutes ago, Boston Babe said:

I just want to say my prayers for those who were on the bus in Mexico with the Equinox and Serenade passengers. My heart is going out to everyone who may have lost a loved one or injured. Many prayers going out to those families.

Yes! Sending prayers!

Simply tragic.  You always have a worry in the back of your mind that something could happen, but these guys do this all the time, right?  The heart of the issue is 

that accidents happen, and that could be on an excursion or in your home town.  I feel awful for the families and loved ones of those who died, and pray that they 

survivors will recover fully, both physically and psychologically, as survivor guilt can be a terrible thing.

:44_frowning2:

This is not good news. With the volume of cruise excursions, I am absolutely amazed this doesn't happen more often. I am so sorry for everyone involved. I hope aside from the fatalities everyone is OK. And I pray that the families affected by fatality are handled carefully and are able to safely get home and find peace.

My wife drives a school bus as well as working at a school, she takes 77 young lives into her hands 4 times a day and realizes the trust that the parents put in her.

This was devastating news to her last night, almost to much for her.

She looked at the pictures and noticed the skid marks and thinks it might have been a blown tire. Just her guess though.

Prayers go out to all involved.

When we took our first cruise, on Freedom, I was confronted with just how massive the responsibility is for the Captain and his crew to keep his passengers safe, regardless of situation.

So, from then on, I've added ship captains, pilots, train and bus drivers to my prayers.  Really, anyone how is responsible for the well-being of another life.

I thought I had read somewhere that it was....guests from Celebrity and Royal on board....injuries for Royal passengers and fatalities for Celebrity passengers....when its a bus like that with hired with guides etc wouldn't that tend to make it seem like it was an organized excursion which makes me think it would have been?

16 minutes ago, monctonguy said:

guests from Celebrity and Royal on board

That's what lead me to believe it was a third party. Have you ever been on a RC excursion with other cruise line guests? Yea, Celebrity is owned by RC, but I've never heard of that kind of "mixing" happening on a RC excursion.  

I might be totally wrong.

Guest toodle68

On an excursion in January, we had a 60 min bus ride. Once we got out of the city it was a long two lane road with buses going top speed, passing other busses and trucks, and scarring the crap out of everyone.  No seatbelts, edge of the road stuff. With some over taking barely getting over before an opposing vehicle.  On the way back we were running late and it was worse. I am surprised this does not happen more often. Prayers to all those involved. 

My husband once did a health missions trip to Mexico.  He had said he needed motion sickness pills for those roads and he does not get motion sickness ever.  He described the driving there exactly as @toodle68 in the post above.  I was afraid for him every day he was over there.  Such sad news though...

6 minutes ago, Sabrinaklai said:

My husband once did a health missions trip to Mexico.  He had said he needed motion sickness pills for those roads and he does not get motion sickness ever.  He described the driving there exactly as @toodle68 in the post above.  I was afraid for him every day he was over there.  Such sad news though...

Exactly.  We took a cab from Costa Maya pier to Almaplena resort down the coastal "highway".  A two lane road; no shoulder.  On the straight sections we maxed at 150 kph (90mph) in a cab with questionable maintenance (based on appearance) and no seat belts.  The thought did occur that one little mistake and we were history.  

So sad for all involved; such a tragedy.

Just read on another board...someone who was on the bus behind the bus that crashed reported that "traffic was terrible, lots of cars passing at high speeds, only two lanes."  This poster guessed, "that a car might have passed the bus too close and the bus swerved and hit the side of the road and over-corrected."  They also commented that there were some EMTs on board who got off to help and that half the seat belts weren't working on their own bus. So sad for these people who lost their loved ones. Guess we all take for granted, to some degree, that we will all get back and forth from our excursions safely.

On 12/19/2017 at 6:33 PM, Boston Babe said:

I just want to say my prayers for those who were on the bus in Mexico with the Equinox and Serenade passengers. My heart is going out to everyone who may have lost a loved one or injured. Many prayers going out to those families.

To all reading this: A Go Fund Me campaign has been started to help the Fritz family bring bring back the remains of Andy Fritz and his wife Jody. Should you be able to donate here is the link:   https://www.gofundme.com/andy-fritz-family-assistance

It is unimaginable and heartbreaking that, according to the story posted, the parents have now lost 2 sons in 3 years.

May everyone affected by this somehow find some comfort and may those who passed rest in peace.

12 hours ago, monctonguy said:

which in all honesty is probably the norm....."driving at excessive speeds"......it was just his unlucky day to get caught for it cause of the accident and pay for it.

I thought the same thing.  MX wants a villan to blame.  Doesn't address the underlying issues but they can close the investigation and move forward without addressing the real issue.  

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/20/2017 at 5:42 PM, toodle68 said:

On an excursion in January, we had a 60 min bus ride. Once we got out of the city it was a long two lane road with buses going top speed, passing other busses and trucks, and scarring the crap out of everyone.  No seatbelts, edge of the road stuff. With some over taking barely getting over before an opposing vehicle.  On the way back we were running late and it was worse. I am surprised this does not happen more often. Prayers to all those involved. 

We had the same experience on St Maarten.  The bus driver was driving in the middle of a two lane road blowing his horn on every curve to warn people coming from the other direction.  I know my hand prints are still on the metal bar in the seat in front of me.   We wont be doing anymore of those.