Does ship fatigue happen?

mom2mybugs

Ok...so I did something crazy today and booked a cruise for July 2019....a 12 day to the Mediterranean on Vision.  This means my next two cruises (Freedom and Vision) are on 2 of the 3 ships I have already sailed.  Royal keeps moving ships and so every time I try a new destination, my ships seem to be following me!  Anyway, my goal on my first 3 cruises was to try new places and new ships.  Now that I'm repeating I wonder if the novelty of a ship wears off.  Do people find they get bored on the same ship, or is it happy familiar?  What do you do to shake things up?  We will be trying a new cabin type--ultra spacious ocean view--and a totally new area of the world, but I want to make sure I get that same "OMG I"M ON A CRUISE" that I've gotten befote!  Jane

I did Enchantment  4 out of my first 6 cruises and I never got tired of it. Different crowd each time, and with you doing different ports then it makes it different as well. And it was a nice a cpl times coming back on when one of the bartenders remembered me..and I know they weren't just saying it cause they remembered my drink of choice!

I don't tire of a ship.   Even my recent B2B I noted how the 2nd leg felt like a different cruise.   

I've done Freedom and I'm booked on her sisters.   All the same class.  I've done all Oasis class ships and I'm booked on Symphony.  

Each time I board on day 1 I have that silly grin on my face.  IT'S CRUISE DAY!!!!

I've been on Grandeur twice with a third one booked ..... same cabin for all three..... No, I'm not tired of it in the least ...... it's very comfortable being so familiar with where things are ...... When we board, we do a bee-line for the R-Bar for customary first drinks, then it's "Game-On" ----

I agree with everyone above, I've been on multiple ships multiple times and never seem to tire of them, I try and treat arch cruise as a new adventure.

I have noticed that ports of call are beginning to wear, like Cozumel, but it has forced me out of my comfort zone and i started trying new things that I might not otherwise try.

I've never experienced ship fatigue.... to me, fatigue implies time moving agonizingly slow.  Instead, I suffer from time compression.  Especially on my favorite itineraries such as Alaska.  It seems like I've just boarded the ship when suddenly the cruise is half over... and then *poof*, the entire week has flown by and I'm stuffing my suitcase full of dirty clothes for the trip home.  

As some others have noted with regards to individual ships, after repeat voyages you begin to feel like "home" on that ship.  You get to know some staff by name if your there often enough.  After a handful of cruises on the Enchantment in GS cabin 8540, it is a great feeling to open that door for the first time of each trip and walk into a familiar place.  To me, that feeling only grows stronger with each trip. 

I have never experienced ship fatigue either.  I would gladly sail a ship I like multiple times.  It's hubby that is against it.  We did however just sail the Disney Fantasy for the second time.  That was a first for us because normally hubby likes to try something different.  I must say, it was nice seeing former crew and chatting with them and the thing that I liked the most was the slow easy pace.  We did not feel the need to rush around and see everything because we already saw it.  This gave us time to enjoy the areas we liked the most.  And it was nice to know exactly where we were going right from embarkation.  I feel the same level of comfort when sailing the Oasis class too because they are all pretty similar.  I found Oasis of the Seas a bit overwhelming at first but I really enjoyed Allure and Harmony since I already knew the layout.  It gave me more time to enjoy areas like Central Park.

Thanks everyone...I'm dying to try some new ships (and unfamiliar little ones)  so I was feeling I will never get to!   I have to remember too that on a 12 day med cruise,  I will be off the boat more than on.  My husband has never been on vision and I think he will love all the sea views.  Jane

10 hours ago, mom2mybugs said:

Thanks everyone...I'm dying to try some new ships (and unfamiliar little ones)  so I was feeling I will never get to!   I have to remember too that on a 12 day med cruise,  I will be off the boat more than on.  My husband has never been on vision and I think he will love all the sea views.  Jane

I agree.  When we did the 12 night Mediterranean on Brilliance we barely saw the ship in the day time.  It was very port heavy as it should be.  Who wants to go on a Mediterranean cruise and not see the sights?  We spent almost every day from morning until all aboard time on land.  I do recommend a balcony for that cruise though.  The views are breathtaking.  Even during sea days.  Not sure what your itinerary is but the view from our balcony while sailing into Venice was worth the extra cost alone.  Have fun Jane.  It's going to be awesome!

I think we get more itinerary fatigue than ship fatigue.  Other than the European cruises we did we have been to most of the caribbean  islands numerous times.  We are close to diamond plus so when we hit that I think we will start trying Celebrity for some different length cruises and different ships.   On both of our European cruises we did pre-cruises that worked out good.  The mediterranean cruise we stayed in Venice for 2 days,  Florence for 1 day, and Rome for 2 days.  The baltic sea cruise we did Paris for 2 days and London for 2 days.   These are when a TA really comes in handy to help plan excursions, set up train travel, hotel stays, etc.  Jane,  look into some Pre-cruise travel.   This might be your one and only European vacations so get the most out of it.    Mike

18 minutes ago, mworkman said:

I'm fatigued just from booking these cruises....i just need them to start happening so i can relax :4_joy:

I know. Everyday I get up and start looking at cruises. My birthday is Jan 2 and my husband's is Jan 26. To be equal I guess we have to plan another cruise to celebrate our birthdays. Woohoo!!!!!

1 hour ago, mworkman said:

I'm fatigued just from booking these cruises....i just need them to start happening so i can relax :4_joy:

I feel your pain.... my wife and I have seven cruises lined up on the books.  I look at the calendar and its like watching paint dry as I'm waiting for the cruises to finally get here!!  

My cruise in February will be...2nd? My second cruise on Liberty, and the ports are all ports I have been to, as well. Not that excited about the ship. In this situation, I always go first to negatives about the ship because I've done it before. However, that's not really the experience I will have: I am sure I will love the ship. No ship is perfect, so this cruise just isn't our first date. As far as the ports, we are exploring excursions that are new for us. This should put a whole different feel to the port days. So, yeah: Ship Fatigue is a real thing. But it's not that big a deal. I sum it up with a slightly off color joke: Pizza is like sex. When it's good, it's really good. And when it's bad......It's still pretty good!

14 hours ago, Sabrinaklai said:

I agree.  When we did the 12 night Mediterranean on Brilliance we barely saw the ship in the day time.  It was very port heavy as it should be.  Who wants to go on a Mediterranean cruise and not see the sights?  We spent almost every day from morning until all aboard time on land.  I do recommend a balcony for that cruise though.  The views are breathtaking.  Even during sea days.  Not sure what your itinerary is but the view from our balcony while sailing into Venice was worth the extra cost alone.  Have fun Jane.  It's going to be awesome!

We just couldn't justify the extra 2000 for the balcony,  but for 600 we got the ultra spacious ocean view with 2 bathrooms and a tub, and a separate bunk bed room for my then 16 year old.   Our itinerary is med/Greek isles (Barcelona,  Cannes,  Rome,  Florence,  mykenos, Santorini, athens and Malta,  with 4 cruise days).  I'm so excited I will have to remind myself that 1. It's not till 2019  2. I have to figure out how to pay for it and  3.  I have my first visit to Europe (Paris) and a Viking river cruise on the swine to enjoy first!   Jane

14 hours ago, MikeK said:

I think we get more itinerary fatigue than ship fatigue.  Other than the European cruises we did we have been to most of the caribbean  islands numerous times.  We are close to diamond plus so when we hit that I think we will start trying Celebrity for some different length cruises and different ships.   On both of our European cruises we did pre-cruises that worked out good.  The mediterranean cruise we stayed in Venice for 2 days,  Florence for 1 day, and Rome for 2 days.  The baltic sea cruise we did Paris for 2 days and London for 2 days.   These are when a TA really comes in handy to help plan excursions, set up train travel, hotel stays, etc.  Jane,  look into some Pre-cruise travel.   This might be your one and only European vacations so get the most out of it.    Mike

We will definitely do a couple days in Barcelona first!   It will likely be the only time I visit spain. Jane

We did the Mediterranean in 2016 on Harmony, before she came to the Caribbean, on this cruise, if anything we felt the opposite of ship fatigue,  as @Sabrinaklai mentioned it was very port intensive, so we felt like we really didn't get to see Harmony, we are trying to figure a way to get back on her, but with 4 cruises on other ships through 2019 it looks like it might have to be 2020.

1 hour ago, tiny260 said:

We did the Mediterranean in 2016 on Harmony, before she came to the Caribbean, on this cruise, if anything we felt the opposite of ship fatigue,  as @Sabrinaklai mentioned it was very port intensive, so we felt like we really didn't get to see Harmony, we are trying to figure a way to get back on her, but with 4 cruises on other ships through 2019 it looks like it might have to be 2020.

I've always said to my husband (and I haven't changed my mind yet) that I am glad we did that 12 night Mediterranean on Brilliance as opposed to a larger ship.   Not that Brilliance wasn't great but I don't feel like I missed out on that ship as much as I would have if it was an Oasis class.  I also think (although I might change my mind when it finally does happen) that one day when we go back to the Mediterranean I would choose a smaller ship for the same reason and splurge on the excursions instead.

2 hours ago, Sabrinaklai said:

I've always said to my husband (and I haven't changed my mind yet) that I am glad we did that 12 night Mediterranean on Brilliance as opposed to a larger ship.   Not that Brilliance wasn't great but I don't feel like I missed out on that ship as much as I would have if it was an Oasis class.  I also think (although I might change my mind when it finally does happen) that one day when we go back to the Mediterranean I would choose a smaller ship for the same reason and splurge on the excursions instead.

When I was looking at Mediterranean cruises I noticed that the smaller ships have more choices of ports they visit, due to their smaller size, where as the Oasis class is limited due to their large size.

On 12/19/2017 at 11:57 PM, mom2mybugs said:

We just couldn't justify the extra 2000 for the balcony,  but for 600 we got the ultra spacious ocean view with 2 bathrooms and a tub, and a separate bunk bed room for my then 16 year old.   Our itinerary is med/Greek isles (Barcelona,  Cannes,  Rome,  Florence,  mykenos, Santorini, athens and Malta,  with 4 cruise days).  I'm so excited I will have to remind myself that 1. It's not till 2019  2. I have to figure out how to pay for it and  3.  I have my first visit to Europe (Paris) and a Viking river cruise on the swine to enjoy first!   Jane

I agree.  $2000 an expensive price difference esp. with Europe being expensive in itself. We had an inside cabin for both of our med cruises and I still had a blast! Like Alaska, there are plenty of great views from public decks and spaces with a 360 degree view!