Hawaii Excursions/Tours

islandgrandma

We will be on Radiance of the Seas in May when she will be in Hawaii.  We would appreciate recommendations for tours/excursions.  I bet there are lots of tours for the USS Arizona, but some must be better than others.  My husband is retired Navy.  Does anyone know if the base in Hawaii offers tours for the Arizona?  Like so many people, we want to cram  as much in as we comfortably can while we are at each location but don't want to take out another mortgage to do it.  Thanks for any help and recommendations.

Royal Caribbean's Hawaii cruises are well worth taking. Many passengers do them year, after year, after year. (Once you've gone, you'll know why) I would strongly encourage all here who are Loyal to Royal to book a room. After my wife and I went last year; I came home with a much, much different idea of what of our fellow state of Hawaii really is. I learned that it is as diverse in nature as it is ethnically. Once you get off the island of Oahu, Hawaii is stunningly beautiful around every corner. The trip really added something to the history of our cruising experience.

But, while you are in Honolulu, yes, you should visit Pearl Harbor. It's a National Park. Whether you go with a private tour operator, take a bus, or take a cab; I don't think it will make a lot of difference. My wife and I got on an early morning private bus and did a self guided tour. The National Park Service does an excellent job providing an interactive, museum-like experience explaining the events leading up to and what occurred on Dec 7 (much like the good job the National Park Service does at the book depository in Dallas--another two thumbs up by Susie and I). Then there is the US Navy boat ride to the Arizona (and really a free boat ride on a US Navy vessel). No matter how you feel about war or what side you were on, the Arizona memorial is a very somber place. You will never forget it. It does step on your vacation buzz but in the same breath I would say Susie and I are better people because we went there. A definite "must do."

I should not be breaking any news when I say Hawaii is a very expensive place for tourists. You should accept this before you pack your luggage. Are there ways to save money? Certainly! However, would I travel all that way and miss out on a quintessential Hawaiian luau?  Time on a beach overhearing the conversations of surfer kids who live in Honolulu?  A sunset dinner cruise while overnighting on Maui? Walking barefoot on an emerald and black sand beach on Hilo? Miss seeing the Waimea Canyon while on Kauai? Or, not buying at least one drink in Mick Fleetwood's bar on Maui? NO WAY!!! 

9 hours ago, islandgrandma said:

We will be on Radiance of the Seas in May when she will be in Hawaii.  We would appreciate recommendations for tours/excursions.  I bet there are lots of tours for the USS Arizona, but some must be better than others.  My husband is retired Navy.  Does anyone know if the base in Hawaii offers tours for the Arizona?  Like so many people, we want to cram  as much in as we comfortably can while we are at each location but don't want to take out another mortgage to do it.  Thanks for any help and recommendations.

I had a lot of really good luck with tours in Oahu this past May on groupon!  I did a photo tour around the island ( my husband and I were the only 2 on the tour), I did a byob catemeran sunset sail ( there was only 6 of us), and I did a hiking tour to makapuu lighthouse.  Hiking hawaii cafe picked us up and dropped us off at the port, and my husband and I were the only ones on the morning tour.  I highly recommend! 

2 minutes ago, cyndicruiser said:

I had a lot of really good luck with tours in Oahu this past May on groupon!  I did a photo tour around the island ( my husband and I were the only 2 on the tour), I did a byob catemeran sunset sail ( there was only 6 of us), and I did a hiking tour to makapuu lighthouse.  Hiking hawaii cafe picked us up and dropped us off at the port, and my husband and I were the only ones on the morning tour.  I highly recommend! 

Also on both of our hawaii cruises, we have had good luck renting a car on the big island and driving to the volcano park.  I also highly recommend purchasing the gypsy guide app for the big island.  It is like having a tour guide in your car who tells you interesting facts and where to stop.  They have them for all of the islands.  We also did a driving tour on the Kona side. We did the road to hana tour in maui last year.  It is a must see, but it was a really long day! Not sure I would do it again. Next time I go to maui, I plan on renting a car, and using the GPS guide to drive to O'o organic farms for their farm tour with lunch. It is near the base of Haleakaluh.  We tried to get in for our trip last year, but they were booked. 

8 hours ago, bobroo said:

Royal Caribbean's Hawaii cruises are well worth taking. Many passengers do them year, after year, after year. (Once you've gone, you'll know why) I would strongly encourage all here who are Loyal to Royal to book a room. After my wife and I went last year; I came home with a much, much different idea of what of our fellow state of Hawaii really is. I learned that it is as diverse in nature as it is ethnically. Once you get off the island of Oahu, Hawaii is stunningly beautiful around every corner. The trip really added something to the history of our cruising experience.

But, while you are in Honolulu, yes, you should visit Pearl Harbor. It's a National Park. Whether you go with a private tour operator, take a bus, or take a cab; I don't think it will make a lot of difference. My wife and I got on an early morning private bus and did a self guided tour. The National Park Service does an excellent job providing an interactive, museum-like experience explaining the events leading up to and what occurred on Dec 7 (much like the good job the National Park Service does at the book depository in Dallas--another two thumbs up by Susie and I). Then there is the US Navy boat ride to the Arizona (and really a free boat ride on a US Navy vessel). No matter how you feel about war or what side you were on, the Arizona memorial is a very somber place. You will never forget it. It does step on your vacation buzz but in the same breath I would say Susie and I are better people because we went there. A definite "must do."

I should not be breaking any news when I say Hawaii is a very expensive place for tourists. You should accept this before you pack your luggage. Are there ways to save money? Certainly! However, would I travel all that way and miss out on a quintessential Hawaiian luau?  Time on a beach overhearing the conversations of surfer kids who live in Honolulu?  A sunset dinner cruise while overnighting on Maui? Walking barefoot on an emerald and black sand beach on Hilo? Miss seeing the Waimea Canyon while on Kauai? Or, not buying at least one drink in Mick Fleetwood's bar on Maui? NO WAY!!! 

That's it, you convinced me...and I was already convinced.  I've had it in my mind to do a Hawaii cruise in 2021 for our 10yr anniversary, now there's no question (unless something  unforeseen changes that).  Is a balcony or suite worth the extra money on a Hawaii cruise?

3 hours ago, RestingBirds said:

Is a balcony or suite worth the extra money on a Hawaii cruise?

I've only done a land vacation to Hawaii (my honeymoon), and I might be bucking the majority by saying this, but I think a suite is not worth the extra expense; a balcony may be, if you typically get a balcony room anyway, but if it would be a splurge I'd say save the money for excursions. With the possible exception of the Na Pali Coast in Kaua'i (and I don't know that the cruise ships can get close enough to really see it properly), all of the major sights and amazing views are, IMO, well inland and not something you can really see from the balcony of a cruise ship docked in port. Even on Oahu, the beach area where the ships will be is mainly the hotels as your view.

Some of the best experiences I had when on my honeymoon:

Oahu

• Horseback riding along the northern coast of the island
  • Visiting the Polynesian Cultural Center

Kaua'i

• Land tour of the island, with stops at lookouts into the Kalalau Valley, Waimea Canyon, and Waimea Falls (the waterfall from Fantasy Island's title sequence)
  • Helicopter tour of the island, including a drop down into the rainforest crater where we saw loads of waterfalls
  • Zodiac tour of the Na Pali Coast, including going into old lava tubes with open air caves and snorkeling at a couple of reefs

Maui

• Pre-dawn bus ride to the summit of Mount Haleakala, where we watched the sunrise and then rode bikes back down to the mainland (doubt this would be an option on any cruise unless they did an overnight in Maui; and to be fair, I had to be sandbagged halfway down, because that bike ride portion is as outright scary as it is breathtaking)
  • Self-guided walking tour of the botanical gardens
  • Sailing / Snorkeling trip that included a stop at Molokini, a small atoll with a ton of beautiful tropical fish

That honeymoon was nearly 20 years ago now, and the fact I can not only remember all the excursions we did, but the names of the places we visited, should tell you all you need to know about how memorable it all was.

Thanks @JLMoran (I'm out of reactions after reading the rest of @Traveler's blog).  I was thinking the same thing for a balcony or higher, especially after @bobroo reminded us of the high costs out there on the islands, and all the fun excursions mentioned so far.  I wanted to splurge on a suite for our anniversary, but we don't need the space, and could save a ton of money with an ocean view.

13 hours ago, RestingBirds said:

That's it, you convinced me...and I was already convinced.  I've had it in my mind to do a Hawaii cruise in 2021 for our 10yr anniversary, now there's no question (unless something  unforeseen changes that).  Is a balcony or suite worth the extra money on a Hawaii cruise?

Defiantly balcony or above for Hawaii if you are sailing with me! Couple reasons; one, you are going to have 5-6 sea days. Two, balcony or suite rooms are going to be larger. Having more storage for the longer cruise and more livable space. Three, I have no idea what Hawaii does to get all the good sunsets, but they certainly seem to happen on a nearly daily (or should I say--evening) basis. 

A note to all reading this: take notice of my previous comment, Cyndicrusier, and JLMoran's: We have all listed unique, different, and a wide variety of things we have done in Hawaii. Unlike Caribbean destinations where one zipline or swim with dolphins or catamaran sail excursion is a very similar experience no matter what port you do it at; Hawaii offers many different experiences at each port of call.  

IMG_6619.jpg

25 minutes ago, RestingBirds said:

@Sabrinaklai, I'm looking at Hawaii cruises now, just getting an idea of the prices, and there's one on Ovation in 2019.

Thanks!  I did not see that one.  I'm thinking long term.  Maybe 2020 for our 20 year anniversary.  When is the best time of the year to cruise Hawaii?  Weather wise and price wise?

6 minutes ago, Sabrinaklai said:

Thanks!  I did not see that one.  I'm thinking long term.  Maybe 2020 for our 20 year anniversary.  When is the best time of the year to cruise Hawaii?  Weather wise and price wise?

If Ovation does well in Alaska maybe we'll see her do more stops in Hawaii down the road (or should I say sea?...).

I was wondering the best time as well, but I've only seen May or September offerings, from RC, since they're really repositionings.

4 minutes ago, RestingBirds said:

If Ovation does well in Alaska maybe we'll see her do more stops in Hawaii down the road (or should I say sea?...).

I was wondering the best time as well, but I've only seen May or September offerings, from RC, since they're really repositionings.

Same.  I have only seen May or September as well.  Will have to research more.  I still have time lol.  Acutally I just realized 2022 is my 20 year anniversary so I have lots of time!  Can't even add anymore.  Time for bed. :13_upside_down:

Due to the Jones Act all RCCL ships (and most other lines) are forms of repositioning cruises for HI.  That act passed by Congress a century ago requires an international port of call so repositioning accomplishes that requirement.  As RCCL ships come or go to/from Alaska they move between hemispheres VIA Hawaii hence the May/September dates.

NCL has one ship that is an exception due to its mostly American roots but I often hear people complain its too port intensive with seven port days and zero sea days.

I've visited Pearl Harbor and the USS Arizona twice.  It's quite an experience.  Hiking Diamond Head and sitting in bunkers that were used in defense is equally an experience.  Visiting the North shore of Oahu when waves are up and surfers are active is awesome.  

If you can afford it a helicopter tour of Maui or Kauai is a great way to see a lot in a short amount of time.  Waimea Canyon is very impressive.

On the big island weather at the top of the volcano can be very different compared to sea level.  Research this and don't go just in shorts and a t-shirt. 

8 hours ago, twangster said:

NCL has one ship that is an exception due to its mostly American roots but I often hear people complain its too port intensive with seven port days and zero sea days.

Is that ship Pride of America or something like that?  I remember seeing that once when I was just looking for fun.  It was the least expensive though.  But that rarely works out well lol.

8 hours ago, twangster said:

On the big island weather at the top of the volcano can be very different compared to sea level.  Research this and don't go just in shorts and a t-shirt. 

True story...once we were in British Columbia for a friend's wedding in June and being from Southern Ontario we packed our summer wear for the trip.  So one day while we were there in our tanks and shorts (it was June lol) the friends that we were with (all of us from Southern Ontario) decided it would be fun to take a gondola up Whistler just to take in the sights (not to ski).  Well, you can probably where the rest of this is headed.  Shortly into the ride up Whistler it began to get chilly.  Not a good sign.  Shortly after than, it began to snow.  My friend and I took one look at each other and nothing else needed to be said.  We got off immediately at the next gondola stop and headed back down.  My husband and another friend continued on.  Needless to say, lesson learned.  Took some time to defrost but we still laugh about it to this day.  

7 minutes ago, Sabrinaklai said:

Is that ship Pride of America or something like that?  I remember seeing that once when I was just looking for fun.  It was the least expensive though.  But that rarely works out well lol.

Correct.  It's (mostly) made in America and (mostly) crewed by Americans.  It's flagged in the U.S. which is very rare.  However these factors mean it can operate between the Hawaiian islands without visiting a foreign port.  It satisfies that component of the Jones Act since it isn't considered a foreign vessel.  

On 12/18/2017 at 12:48 PM, Sabrinaklai said:

Hmm....we missed out on Hawaii pre-kids and it was too expensive for our honeymoon 15 years ago but now I just might need to to start researching.  I just wish it wasn't Radiance of the Seas....

I did celebrity Solstice last may!  It was fantastic and actually less expensive than the RCL sailing.  The best part of having a balcony was that we got to sail past the active lava flow going from the HIlo to the Kona side of the island.  

18589078_10210905736774189_4076054215296175766_o.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/22/2017 at 4:45 PM, islandgrandma said:

Any recommendations on where to stay in Honolulu pre-cruise?  We don’t need to stay In a hotel on the beach especially  after looking at room prices but don’t want to be miles away either.  

I stayed at the new Hyatt Centric Hotel and liked the location.