When being in a line, isn't a line.

Paul&Karen

Just came off the Anthem, this being our 4th  Cruise. Certainly not saying we are seasoned cruisers.

This trip was really an eye opener and never noticed it before in regards to pissed off poeople.

Nearly got in a fight over the ice cream machine on the pool deck. The guys were refilling the machine and two older lady's (80's) were in front of me (in line) having a chat. As soon as the machine was ready one step forward and then she was pushed out of the way by a guy who thought he had more of a right to go first. As I didn't see pushing an old lady a good thing this soon escalated into abit of a chat and that he had more "right" to get one first. 

Every line, any line, ...lifts, Windjammer, getting off/on the ship, basically to go anywhere was a joke people pushing in people getting pissed.....a line is a line people. 

Great entertainment watching the issues unfold, but being military I don't take the elderly being "man handled" and it seamed to happen a few times.

I watched a lady in a mobility scooter when we boarded stating that she should have better treatment and be in front of everyone to board abused two of the staff and demanded priority due to her handicap, only to see her two days later dancing like a 20yr old.

Oh the stress.........

Paul & Karen

3 hours ago, Paul&Karen said:

I watched a lady in a mobility scooter when we boarded stating that she should have better treatment and be in front of everyone to board abused two of the staff and demanded priority due to her handicap, only to see her two days later dancing like a 20yr old.

It's things like this, as someone who has been mobility limited for over a decade now, and gone through multiple painful surgeries to resolve as much of the problem as possible, that really piss me off. I don't need a scooter; thanks to the surgeries I don't even need a cane any longer (having had to use one for a good ten years). But all I can do is walk, and that for not more than a few miles total in a day, spread out over a bunch of smaller segments. My days of dancing, bike riding (one of my favorite activities back in the day), and wandering around places to explore for hours on end are long gone.

I'm not saying she wasn't disabled. I worked with someone who had MS, and learned that's a very "invisible" disease; she'd have good days where she'd be moving utterly normally for her young age one day, but could be half crippled the next. Maybe that's what was going on here with this woman, but even if it was, that's no reason for her to get all entitled and snooty with the crew. Not only is she being an assclown, she's giving a bad rep to everyone with a disability on that ship who just wants a bit of understanding and accommodation to make their trip enjoyable.

Sounds like what I witness during my trip to Hong Kong and Macau.  A few locals spoke of their displeasure of the Mainland Chinese tourists behaviours.  They said they put up with it because they are spending lots of money. I did not believe it until I sat down for a coffee one day and people watched.  With travelling, you get to see the good and the bad.  Part of the experience in seeing other cultures.

It's amazing being on the same cruise I missed all the drama.  Apparently one family got booted off in PR when they refused to control their child then threatened the Staff Captain and his family.   In Barbados another family was put off for stealing over $5k of jewelry from the Esplanade.  

I missed all of this plus the ice cream moment and disembarked in the self carry long line without witnessing any drama.  

We just got off harmony and could not believe how rude the rest of the passengers were. We even mentioned it to our waiter and he said it's better during school break times when it's families, that the "older generation" is very pushy and entitled, but we witnessed it with EVERYONE. One guy (grown adult man) threw an absolute hissy fit when he asked for a Pellegrino in Boleros at 1am and the bartender told him she was all out. Lines definitely didn't mean anything and I was shoved out of the way multiple times. One woman hip checked me to get to a table in the windjammer before me.

The crew on the other hand...amazing! They took everything in stride.

My wife and I witnessed this in October on Allure as well as the flight to and from the cruise. The week we went was a school break week for my wife but may not have been for other States, it seemed the crowd was older and not very many kids. I'm mid fifties and in excellent physical health and don't consider myself a Senior citizen, when I'm on a cruise I try to be laid back, let other people go first, hold doors, hold elevators etc., but on this cruise, by the end of the cruise I was telling my wife that I was tired of all of the senior citizens.

They were rude and acted like they had complete entitlement, rush in front of you at the elevators, restaurant lines, the theater, I even had one run over my foot with a scooter on the promenade, never said I'm sorry or excuse me, and it wasn't even crowded. I stated to my Wife, I hope I don't act like that when I'm their age.

I agree with @Paul&Karen , a line is just a line, get over it and get on with life.

Unbelievable!  We pretty much witnessed the same thing two weeks ago on our cruise.  Little kids were getting trampled while trying to get into the theatre by older adults.  People paid no attention to who was waiting for an elevator first.  There was constantly people cutting in front of you at the buffet or grabbing the tongs right from you.  The moment that made me the most mad was when I was walking on a rather slippery pool deck with my daughter and 4 year old niece and a lady on a scooter behind us ran right into my niece!

1 hour ago, ZinzMat said:

he said it's better during school break times when it's families, that the "older generation" is very pushy and entitled, but we witnessed it with EVERYONE.

And I'd bet money that the rudest of these people regularly complain about how rude and entitled millenials/younger folks are.  And rude millenials invariably complain about rude older people.  People seldom recognize their own bad behavior, it's always those other people causing the problems.

I live in the theme park capital of the world, so I see it all the time.  People just develop this sense of "I paid good money/took time off work/etc. to get here and this is my special trip, etc." with no regard for the fact that most of the other people around them paid good money and took time off work just the same and everybody's going to have a nicer time if we're all just polite to one another.

I agree @Orange Crush , I think it might be people trying to cram to much in to small a time period, it's a cruise, chill out and relax.

I did have one older gentleman tell me I needed to leave the diamond lounge one night because I was in shorts (He was not nice about it), something I didn't know, was that on formal nights it is recommended that you are dressed appropriately for the occasion in the Diamond lounge, I didn't know this, we weren't eating until later in the evening and my wife wanted a glass of wine, so we stopped in... They were nice pressed khaki shorts and polo shirt at least.

I only went on one cruise like this. It was a cruise over New Years, and a very expensive ticket. I think some people felt entitled either because they are just jerks, or because the price of the ticket entitled them somehow. I rarely see rudeness, but it was common on that sailing. So far, they have never run out of food, or run out of seats at an event. Trust me: All the ice cream servings taste the same. Now get out of my way: I have to get to the Lido deck before you.

6 hours ago, tiny260 said:

I did have one older gentleman tell me I needed to leave the diamond lounge one night because I was in shorts (He was not nice about it), something I didn't know, was that on formal nights it is recommended that you are dressed appropriately for the occasion in the Diamond lounge, I didn't know this, we weren't eating until later in the evening and my wife wanted a glass of wine, so we stopped in... They were nice pressed khaki shorts and polo shirt at least.

I would just ignore him for 2 reasons 1) It is not his job to enforce the dress standards and 2) It would annoy him.

When we were in the concierge lounge on the formal nights I wore shorts and so did a few other people. It was hot in there because of its position at the back of the ship (Ovation) and I did not want to be sitting in my tux all that time before dinner. 

We were also talking to another passenger who had been told by another guest in a lift that they were not allowed to take food back to their room. I find it is just best to ignore these kind of people. They are usually D or D+ who feel they have kind of special authority to tell other people what to do.

The bumper cars queue jumping was a noticeable irritation for people on our cruise. I have no issue when other passengers redirect them to the back of the queue in this instance. Everyone should know how a queue works and how rude it is to butt in. I don't think they would do it in a supermarket.

A frequent Carnival experience that used to drive me crazy (before I switched away from the dark side) was in the omelet line.  They have two lines right beside each other.  You might see 3 people in one and 5 people in the other.  Go in the line with 3 people right?  Then the person in front orders 14 omelets for his family and 10 strangers he just met.  This happened time and again.  

25 mins later when it was my turn I ordered 20 omelets... just because.  OK I didn't do that but it played out pretty nicely in my head...

8 hours ago, twangster said:

A frequent Carnival experience that used to drive me crazy (before I switched away from the dark side) was in the omelet line.  They have two lines right beside each other.  You might see 3 people in one and 5 people in the other.  Go in the line with 3 people right?  Then the person in front orders 14 omelets for his family and 10 strangers he just met.  This happened time and again.  

25 mins later when it was my turn I ordered 20 omelets... just because.  OK I didn't do that but it played out pretty nicely in my head...

Oh jeez, this is me every time when picking a checkout line at the grocery store.  It doesn't matter which line I pick, it will always be the wrong one.  I have an amazing knack for getting in line behind a difficult person who decides to split their order into multiple transactions, or pay with a check, or doesn't know how to work the card machine, or needs to run back and grab something they forgot . . .

I just resign myself to my fate.

2 minutes ago, Orange Crush said:

Oh jeez, this is me every time when picking a checkout line at the grocery store.  It doesn't matter which line I pick, it will always be the wrong one.  I have an amazing knack for getting in line behind a difficult person who decides to split their order into multiple transactions, or pay with a check, or doesn't know how to work the card machine, or needs to run back and grab something they forgot . . .

I just resign myself to my fate.

That's me too !  It's staggering how I can ALWAYS choose the slowest line.  I always warn people behind me not to get into the line with me.  I guess I'm just lucky that way !

My first cruise was a fly cruise.  Lots of "locals" boarded the ship and I have to find were so rude, and were part of the "older" generation!  I know us Brits are known for queuing.  I went to a towel folding demo and was pushed out of the way afterwards when I was patiently queuing for a leaflet! 

19 hours ago, tiny260 said:

My wife and I witnessed this in October on Allure as well as the flight to and from the cruise. The week we went was a school break week for my wife but may not have been for other States, it seemed the crowd was older and not very many kids. I'm mid fifties and in excellent physical health and don't consider myself a Senior citizen, when I'm on a cruise I try to be laid back, let other people go first, hold doors, hold elevators etc., but on this cruise, by the end of the cruise I was telling my wife that I was tired of all of the senior citizens.

They were rude and acted like they had complete entitlement, rush in front of you at the elevators, restaurant lines, the theater, I even had one run over my foot with a scooter on the promenade, never said I'm sorry or excuse me, and it wasn't even crowded. I stated to my Wife, I hope I don't act like that when I'm their age.

I agree with @Paul&Karen , a line is just a line, get over it and get on with life.

We noticed the same thing - the week prior there were a lot more kids on Allure, but we definitely noticed the rudeness from other passengers. 

My personal favorite is when you're walking somewhere, and then everyone just stops dead in front of you and starts having a conversation. 

Lines is are problematic everywhere , 

Some time people are cutting lines without even understanding they are doing it (when the line is not clear) and sometime they are well aware (Hate when its happens).

The solution should come from (beside education) the vendors , 

I do not expect that  customer should say anything to other people that are cutting the lines but I do expect employees to be around and control it , I rarely saw, for example anyone trying to cut line in the US immigration (at the airport) and if yes , someone firmly send him back.  

The second solution is to create organized lines , meaning one line and not other shapes of lines (pyramid, cycle, cube , I have seen them all) , that can be done by using ropes or any other dividers.

Once person inside such line it is very hard to cut and also it reduce all the people that cut unintentionally.

I know not everywhere you can create such line but for sure in front of the theater , MDR and WJ you can do so. 

Kayla,

I have to agree with you, everyone seems to stop and talk smack dab in the middle of a walkway. On my last cruise, one of the bars was in the middle of a walkway and a MDR was off on one side of the walkway. Passengers would always stop right in front of the MDR to decide if they wanted to have dinner there, go for a drink at the bar, go to a show, whatever, and there was no way you could get around them.

My last cruise I decided someone needs to write the "Guide to Elevator Etiquette on a Cruise Ship for All Ages". The whole cruise was seriously spoiled by passengers trying to get on the elevator. I had several experiences on my 10 day cruise, including the elevator was full, you couldn't have fit a toothpick in there but when we stopped on Deck 9, an elderly couple decided there was enough room for them. He put his hands on the door to stop it from closing and she tried to wiggle her 200 plus pounds into the elevator. When she did this, the elevator signaled it was over capacity and she stood in the doorway with hubby asking what that noise was. I finally looked at her and said "It tells us that the elevator is over weight capacity, which it wasn't, until you tried to cram yourself in it." I am serious, everyone on the elevator cheered me. I am sorry, but that couple was rude beyond belief and, yes, I was too, but someone needed to say something so they would get off. After almost 5 minutes, they turned around and left.

The other experience was the elevator had room for one more person and a family of 4 decided to cram in. All 4 of them had just come from the pool and were soaking wet and dripping water everywhere. The teenage boy was right up against my body, (I got to know him real well), when he got off, there was a water stain all down the front of my blouse from being pressed up against me and becoming my new best friend.

I use a cane to walk and there are people who always tell me to go before them but I won't do it because they have waited longer then I have to get on the elevator. The days of people being polite are long gone.

So, who wants to write the elevator etiquette book, you could also do proper line etiquette too! Image result for pictures of cruise passengers waiting in the buffet line

Candie

5 hours ago, firegal2539 said:

So, who wants to write the elevator etiquette book, you could also do proper line etiquette too! 

So, Candie, even if it was a free book and people read it....do you think they would pay attention and be more considerate? I don't think so. On previous cruises when we get on a crowded elevator and are pretty much the last ones on, I am very vocal at the next stop if someone or some people try to get on. I speak up and tell them "sorry, this one's full. Please wait for the next one". :27_sunglasses: