Is anyone else seeing big price increases on the current Cruise Planer sale?

JLMoran

So I saw Matt's post about the latest Cruise Planner sale. Of course, I logged in and re-checked all the rates against my notes for the best prices I'd gotten so far. Most of the excursions and other items I'd bought were the same price, but a couple have gone up rather significantly:

• Deluxe Beverage Package is up to $48 per night from best of $43
  • All VOOM packages are up by at least $5 per night; my 4-device purchase is up to $48 and change a night! :51_scream:

1 minute ago, JLMoran said:

So I saw Matt's post about the latest Cruise Planner sale. Of course, I logged in and re-checked all the rates against my notes for the best prices I'd gotten so far. Most of the excursions and other items I'd bought were the same price, but a couple have gone up rather significantly:

• All VOOM packages are up by at least $5 per night; my 4-device purchase is up to $48 and change a night! :51_scream:

My prices for March 2018 have slight increase too but I think mine might be due to whatever currency rate RC is using.  The change is minimal (a few dollars) but it is an increase.  On the bright side, 2 excursions I have been watching finally went on sale.  The Kennedy Space Center tour is 10% off and the Dolphin Encounter in Nassau is 20% off.  Those are new.  They have not gone on sale until now.  Wondering if I should grab it now or see if the KSC goes cheaper as time goes on?  Anyone know if that one sells out early?? And still debating whether or not that Dolphin Encounter is worth it even though it is on sale.  It's still almost $500 for all 4 of us. Yikes!  I wish my youngest wasn't such an animal fanatic....

10 minutes ago, Sabrinaklai said:

Wondering if I should grab it now or see if the KSC goes cheaper as time goes on?  Anyone know if that one sells out early??

Book it now. I've canceled and rebooked some of my purchases 2 or even 3 times now as the sales have come and gone and prices improved, and it's really easy to do. Only issue I've had has been with the web site refusing my card for unknown reasons a few times, and I've had to fall back to calling Royal to do the re-purchase.

17 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

Book it now. I've canceled and rebooked some of my purchases 2 or even 3 times now as the sales have come and gone and prices improved, and it's really easy to do. Only issue I've had has been with the web site refusing my card for unknown reasons a few times, and I've had to fall back to calling Royal to do the re-purchase.

I have done it many times as well.  It's just that between the Dolphin Excursion and KSC tour it's about $1000....trying to decide if it's all worth it....

7 minutes ago, Sabrinaklai said:

I have done it many times as well.  It's just that between the Dolphin Excursion and KSC tour it's about $1000....trying to decide if it's all worth it....

Ahhh, gotcha. Well, if the dolphin excursion is the bigger discount then I'd say book that one now, save the KSC booking for the next billing cycle on your credit card since the discount was "only" about 10%.

I suspect 2018 will see general price increases in Voom and beverage packages.  They've toyed with some already on select fall 2017 cruises.  I think they do that to test the waters and judge impact to sales.  

The Antigua helicopter excursion to Monserrat went from $389 to $467 between my Anthem cruise I just got off and my Indy cruise I'm about to go on.  I noticed this last week after missing out while on Anthem.   I thought I'd book it for Indy but when I saw the price on Indy it was too much for me.  

1 minute ago, JLMoran said:

Ahhh, gotcha. Well, if the dolphin excursion is the bigger discount then I'd say book that one now, save the KSC booking for the next billing cycle on your credit card since the discount was "only" about 10%.

It's not even about splitting the billing...Problem with travelling with kids is they want to do stuff.  If it was just hubby and I, we would just wander around.  It just seems like a whole lot of money to spend on two excursions.  Sorry, I am now thinking out loud.

The cost of the deluxe beverage package went up for every cruise that I have booked (for which the beverage package price was available).  No savings whatsoever.  Obviously they increased the cost of the package before the sale started.  So slimy.

Has anyone seen the combo deluxe beverage + ultimate dining package anywhere ?  It seems to have disappeared completely.  Are they no longer offering this combination package ?

1 minute ago, Sabrinaklai said:

Problem with travelling with kids is they want to do stuff.  

Sure, blame the kids!  

11 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Has anyone seen the combo deluxe beverage + ultimate dining package anywhere ?  It seems to have disappeared completely.  Are they no longer offering this combination package ?

Not available in the 5 bookings I have.

30 minutes ago, twangster said:

The Antigua helicopter excursion to Monserrat went from $389 to $467 between my Anthem cruise I just got off and my Indy cruise I'm about to go on.  I noticed this last week after missing out while on Anthem.   I thought I'd book it for Indy but when I saw the price on Indy it was too much for me.  

We did that one in 2004 at $249 a person.  It's hard to justify it at $467, but man that was a memorable experience.  Do it if you can.

Seeing a slight price increase on drink packages for Feb 2018 Harmony sailing. That's all I've noticed that has changed, but it doesn't mean other prices haven't gone up, too. Glad I snagged the ultimate dining and drinks combo package for the brief period of time it was available. Easy come, easy go with the cruise planner..

1 hour ago, JLMoran said:

So Joe, I just checked my cruise planner for another sailing I have booked in July 2018 for Harmony and deluxe pkg is $47/day and VOOM is $44.77/day for the 4 device plan.  One device is $14.39/day.  Not sure if these are up or down from before because I have not been watching this sailing very carefully (this is my plan B in place of the Seaside) but thought I would let you know.

1 hour ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Haven't seen it in a couple months.  I booked it for my March 2018 Allure cruise when it first showed up, but I changed my mind and cancelled it and haven't seen it offered again since.

For the Symphony TA in October Voom Surf and Stream has dropped in price from last week suggesting the on-board price is dropping too (could just be the same graphic used by mistake).

5a341a71c1db3_VoomSSSymphony.jpeg.346c41187d6cf4f0de76a1c79aa66a0c.jpeg

1 device $11.99 per day,  2 device $21.99 per day,  3 device $31.48 per day,  4 device $39.17 per day,  5 device $41.97 per day.

Deluxe beverage package has gone up from BOGO 50% @ $41 last week to $42 today while the combo Voom/Deluxe dropped from $56 last week to $55 today.

It's all a farce.  We booked Oasis for Nov 2018 during the Black Friday sale at a really good price IMHO.  Looked again at the next 50% off second guest sale and the cost was over $200 more.  Then the each guest is 30% off Green Monday sale and the total cost was another $200 higher.  Now the Cruise Planner sale, where excursions are unchanged (at least those which were of interest to us) and rink packages were $2 pdpp higher.  Who is RCI trying to kid?  That said, dinner at Chops seems to have been reduced for both our upcoming bookings.  Will probably take advantage of that.

Some of those price fluctuations are just normal pricing volatility.  Fares change frequently based on demand for a specific cabin type, sometimes even hourly.  One minute a cabin class might be sold out, then someone cancels and it opens up again.  This impacts some cruises dates more than others (non-peak versus peak season).  It's like airline seat prices, they change all the time. A lot depends how far out you are.

This is why if I see a bargain I don't wait, I jump on it.  I saved $258 with Green Days on one cruise, nothing on another.  Luck of the draw. 

20 hours ago, Sabrinaklai said:

My prices for March 2018 have slight increase too but I think mine might be due to whatever currency rate RC is using.  The change is minimal (a few dollars) but it is an increase.  On the bright side, 2 excursions I have been watching finally went on sale.  The Kennedy Space Center tour is 10% off and the Dolphin Encounter in Nassau is 20% off.  Those are new.  They have not gone on sale until now.  Wondering if I should grab it now or see if the KSC goes cheaper as time goes on?  Anyone know if that one sells out early?? And still debating whether or not that Dolphin Encounter is worth it even though it is on sale.  It's still almost $500 for all 4 of us. Yikes!  I wish my youngest wasn't such an animal fanatic....

$500 for 4 people sounds like a good price for the dolphin encounter, if it's a good one.  My parents paid close to that 20 years ago for 4 of us.

And KSC can be a great experience if you don't mind a slower paced, information laden theme park/museum, so I'd personally take the 10% and book it before it fills up.  Just my 2 cents.

When you book excursions 2 months out from sailing, do you just put it in your "cart" and "check out" closer the sailing dates in hopes that there  might be a price reduction?  Or do you immediately "check out" upon booking that excursion?  Don't quite know when you are being charged for the excursion.  If you "check out" immediately upon making the choice, can you still cancel and re-book for the lower price?

6 minutes ago, MKSglitz said:

When you book excursions 2 months out from sailing, do you just put it in your "cart" and "check out" closer the sailing dates in hopes that there  might be a price reduction?  Or do you immediately "check out" upon booking that excursion?  Don't quite know when you are being charged for the excursion.  If you "check out" immediately upon making the choice, can you still cancel and re-book for the lower price?

If you just put it in your cart nothing happens. You have to actually check out and pay for it to secure the price and the price drops later you either cancel and rebook on your cruise planner or call them to do it.

I saw a 179.00 cruise on majesty on the web site when I went to book it it was 339 called and said I wanted the inside for 179.00 the  agent said if I booked it when it first listed it would have been 179 but they were gone I told him the listing just posted he said this time but it was listed before at 179 and that I should have got in on it I told him that was deceptive he agreed but said that was the way they advertise from the first listed price which could have been a year prior or more I love royal for years now but all the price increases and decline in included services and perks for frequent travelers extra costs for almost everything have  got me thinking am I the only one who thinks way from what I can see ncl and celebrity don't do this I know celebrity is royal ncl gives free open bar free specialty restaurants why is royal shooting themselves in the foot while the competition is competeing a long time ago I tried carnival and they are just not for me but the others seem to be ok for now I remain fiercely loyal to royal but if they continue to take away instead of be loyal to me I will have to look elsewhere but for years my children and grandchildren were loyal to Disney but they priced themselves completely out of our range a little at a time till it seems only the wealthiest foreigners can afford them ah well just saying

20 hours ago, twangster said:

Some of those price fluctuations are just normal pricing volatility.  Fares change frequently based on demand for a specific cabin type, sometimes even hourly.  One minute a cabin class might be sold out, then someone cancels and it opens up again.  

Sorry twangster, not buying that.  Booked a hump balcony on Black Friday and saw what cabins were available at that time.  Those same cabins are still available, so while I understand supply and demand, I don't think it applies here.  This is just RCI marketing trying to convince buyers that they're getting a great deal that's not.  Emperor's new clothes...

6 minutes ago, DDemuth said:

Sorry twangster, not buying that.  Booked a hump balcony on Black Friday and saw what cabins were available at that time.  Those same cabins are still available, so while I understand supply and demand, I don't think it applies here.  This is just RCI marketing trying to convince buyers that they're getting a great deal that's not.  Emperor's new clothes...

No where in the promo verbiage does it say every sailing and every cabin.  We want to see that, but that isn't what it is. 

As I stated I saved $258 on one cruise and $0 on the next.    I will grant you RCI is very good at using phrases like "Up to $X in savings", or "Up to 20% off" emphasis on the "Up to",  but to suggest it's a giant white wash isn't accurate either.  Sorry you didn't save anything on your cruise, I batted .500 on mine.

On 12/15/2017 at 11:58 AM, WAAAYTOOO said:

The cost of the deluxe beverage package went up for every cruise that I have booked (for which the beverage package price was available).  No savings whatsoever.  Obviously they increased the cost of the package before the sale started.  So slimy.

The only place I have read about the bev + dinning package combo is here. We have two cruises booked for 2018 and the option has never been available on either.

On 12/15/2017 at 12:32 PM, Sabrinaklai said:

It is always the kids! 

Hubby and I say that we are in kid jail lol.  Parole in about 10 years hopefully....

Statements like this make me want to cruise like crazy before we even approach the 'kid' thing - after our slow 2018 (though, I just got the green light to add a cruise on Enchantment for my husband's 30th!!!), 2019 is certainly looking up! 1 booked, with at least 2 more pending reservations :D

31 minutes ago, KLAconQueso said:

Statements like this make me want to cruise like crazy before we even approach the 'kid' thing

As a parent of two teens, both of them artistic and thus having even higher expenses than normal for their extracurriculars, I can definitely say that kids impact the "splurge level" of vacations. I wouldn't say that they particularly reduce the ability to simply take a vacation, as we've been going on vacations every summer since the kids were born. But the schedules do hammer you once they're in school; you end up only being able to travel at peak times and paying more for what you do take, so you need to plan even more carefully than you already do. And of course, kids are the embodiment of the phrase, "People make plans, and the devil laughs"; unexpected illnesses, tired earlier than you'd like, not interesting in things you'd swear they were going to love, all teach you to be patient and flexible and do your best to roll with the changes. But the vacations still come, so take comfort in that. ? 

2 hours ago, KLAconQueso said:

Statements like this make me want to cruise like crazy before we even approach the 'kid' thing - after our slow 2018 (though, I just got the green light to add a cruise on Enchantment for my husband's 30th!!!), 2019 is certainly looking up! 1 booked, with at least 2 more pending reservations :D

You most definitely should cruise and travel like crazy before the "kid thing". If you look at my cruise history notice the large gap between 2005-2009 and then again from 2009-2014? Yup. Kid jail. We waited 4.5 years after getting married before having kids and it was so that we could travel. We went everywhere, not just cruising. My only regret was not going to Hawaii pre-kids. We did one summer in Europe and loved it. The following summer we took a Mediterranean cruise followed by a trip to LA and San Francisco all in one month. That was probably the best summer I can remember! At the time we wrestled with the idea of whether it was wise to spend so much on travelling but in retrospect we do not regret it one bit. Don't get me wrong, I love my kids but travelling with them is whole different experience (see @JLMoran post above for a way more eloquent explanation lol).  Enjoy your couple time to the fullest now. You won't regret it.

There is a gap in my cruise history due to kid jail.   I took them on a Disney Cruise when they were young.  Later in life neither of them remembered it (or that's what they claimed to justify another cruise as late teen / early 20s).   Traveling with young kids is work.   They have more luggage than you do.   

Also my skiing and scuba diving life took a hit as well.  Years later those are back.   Priorities change but later in life they change again.  

I went through the same thing, 10 years, both of my kids were in athletics, sports that were played in the Spring and Summer, both went to college on Athletic scholarships, so our summers were spent traveling all over the country following sports, I have no regrets, both graduated college and have successful careers.

Younger couples ask me how I can afford to take multiple vacations each year, and I tell them its simple, no more kids at home, everything is now down sized.

Now I have Grandchildren that are in sports, so I'm sure the following of sports will start again soon.

On 12/16/2017 at 5:43 PM, KLAconQueso said:

We've cruised more after the kid than before. I have 27 cruises under my belt; my 10 year old has 18. Cruising is one of the most convenient ways to travel with a kid. 

We went to the Bahamas once when he was a toddler and that was fine, too. We just had to be creative with the flights in order to have time for him to get the wiggles out. As a result, we picked a route with two connecting flights so that he'd have time in the airport to run around. 

On 12/15/2017 at 5:51 PM, DDemuth said:

It's all a farce.  We booked Oasis for Nov 2018 during the Black Friday sale at a really good price IMHO.  Looked again at the next 50% off second guest sale and the cost was over $200 more.  Then the each guest is 30% off Green Monday sale and the total cost was another $200 higher.  Now the Cruise Planner sale, where excursions are unchanged (at least those which were of interest to us) and rink packages were $2 pdpp higher.  Who is RCI trying to kid?  That said, dinner at Chops seems to have been reduced for both our upcoming bookings.  Will probably take advantage of that.

I also booked oasis for next november at the black friday/cyber monday sale for the week of thanksgiving.

We have traveled like crazy with the kids. We have gone to Disney a gazillion times (obsession #1) and done at least one huge national park trip each year.   Had I started cruising pre 2015 (obsession #2) I'm sure we would have taken the kids and loved it.  I think you travel young and when you have kids you change your expectations and keep traveling!   Can't wait to take my 16 year old to the Mediterranean in 2019 and take my first Europe trip without get in 2017!  You find the money and time that works for for family!  Jane

• 2 months later...

So I paid at these prices for the following for my upcoming trip on Ovations of the Seas this coming Apr 2018:

1. Deluxe Beverage Package: USD41.00 pp pn (purchased during sale, most current price is USD42.00)

2. Wonderland: USD49.00 pp (It was down from USD69.00!!!!!!!!)

3. Voom (2 devices): USD22.58 (On sale with 25% off)

4. Ripcord by iFly: USD29.00 pp (heard this is free for Quantum of the seas??)

5. All Access Ship Tour: USD109.00 (used to be USD99.00 if i'm not wrong...)

Other observations:

Chops is up from USD39 to USD 42!

I observed that shore excursion prices are up by a small margin compared to last year

9 hours ago, Chris_Wallace said:

So I paid at these prices for the following for my upcoming trip on Ovations of the Seas this coming Apr 2018:

1. Deluxe Beverage Package: USD41.00 pp pn (purchased during sale, most current price is USD42.00)

2. Wonderland: USD49.00 pp (It was down from USD69.00!!!!!!!!)

3. Voom (2 devices): USD22.58 (On sale with 25% off)

4. Ripcord by iFly: USD29.00 pp (heard this is free for Quantum of the seas??)

5. All Access Ship Tour: USD109.00 (used to be USD99.00 if i'm not wrong...)

Other observations:

Chops is up from USD39 to USD 42!

I observed that shore excursion prices are up by a small margin compared to last year

Those are decent prices.  Especially the ones for the beverage package and VOOM.  Wonderland price is pretty standard and the ship tour increased to $109.99 a few months ago.  But $29 for iFly?  Not sure about that.  It's free on Anthem for one reservation.