Why no more Aruba?

bcarney

When are you looking?  Adventure will leave San Juan to go back to Europe in summer but usually returns.  And then repeats.

We were looking at an October cruise on Adventure and I saw Aruba in one itinerary.

Yeah, the October 10, 2015 is the last Adventure sailing posted thus far (thru April 2016) that stops in Aruba and Curacao - so if you want to hit those islands, do it now. Jewel starts going to Aruba on every alternate week starting October 25th.  Adventure stays on the southeastern side with some of the usual stops but mixing in Dominica, Martinique, St. Kitts, and Grenada depending on the week.

Adventure is our favorite ship - been on it 4 times - we're just taking Jewel this time around to try out a different class of ship with family and friends (I think it's 18 of us that have dining linked together - thanks Michelle!)

Sometimes lines have to leave ports for a year or so and then come back - weird rules - but also the lines like to try ports they see other cruise lines trying

St Kitts is one such port - and Dominica is starting to get a lot of news lately too - not sure about all these, I think Aruba is one of the best

island in the Caribbean -

Sometimes lines have to leave ports for a year or so and then come back - weird rules - but also the lines like to try ports they see other cruise lines trying

St Kitts is one such port - and Dominica is starting to get a lot of news lately too - not sure about all these, I think Aruba is one of the best

We did Dominica last week on the Jewel; it was awesome. St. Kitts was nice, but wasn't one I'd personally rush back to necessarily.

We did Dominica last week on the Jewel; it was awesome. St. Kitts was nice, but wasn't one I'd personally rush back to necessarily.

We stopped in Dominica on our first cruise waaaay back in 1999.  I really liked it, reminded me of St. Lucia.  We've been to St. Kitts twice, on the first time we did the 'round the island train excursion which was a great way to see the island.  The second time we had our kids with us and visited Fort Brimstone and Romney Manor; it was a nice historical tour.  Should we stop there again I'm going to convince my wife to take the excursion that goes to neighboring Nevis just so I can add another island to me "been there!" list. :)

I love Aruba as well - I also like that the times we've been there the ship stays until 10 or 11 in the evening so you get a taste of the nightlife there.

On one visit the power went out in the main city, and the place was totally dark.  We went out anyway. :)  The now defunct Carlos and Charlies was open and running on a generator, and every time someone ordered a margarita or some other frozen drink all the lights dimmed - so we of course kept dimming the lights!  My friend is a heavy set tall guy, and the staff had this contest where they had people stand on top of a table and sing the children's song "I'm A Little Teapot" with all the hand motions...so of course they dragged my friend into it and he won us all a bunch of drinks!  That evening is one of the fondest memories I have...I love Aruba!

We did the train as well and did enjoy it, but felt that it offered the lowest value in terms of price compared to some of our other excursions.  Fortunately, we had a discount through Royal, which significantly reduced the cost for us.  If I had to do it again, I'd probably consider a private taxi tour and do what you stated that you did on the second visit.

I heard great things about Nevis, so I can't argue with your logic.

• 7 months later...

I'm with you.  We did Domenica in 2010 and loved it, although it does has some very impoverished areas.  We're happy Adventure is going back there again when we're on her this spring.  St. Kitts - ya not so much.

I haven't been to St. Croix either, but found St. Kitts to be different than what we had in mind. We ended up doing the zip lining through the rainforest, and although that was awesome, the drive on the way up to took us through some pretty impoverished and dirty towns. I heard St. Kitts has a nicer, more expensive side, but I too would opt for a trip to Nevis if our cruise stopped in St. Kitts again.