Passport renewal

Rede411

I think I know the answer to this question already but here goes.  Going on a cruise in 78 days ..all our passports are up to date but one passport expires 7/21/2018 less than 6 months from the cruise date which is 3/1/18.  Some websites tell you to have an updated passport with At least 6 months inbetween sail date from expiration but I think it's a suggestion more than a rule...

My understanding of it is that it's a rule, but I think it's more strongly enforced with overseas trips than something like this where we'll be embarking and disembarking from the US. I'm hoping it doesn't bite my spouse, she still has to get her passport for our cruise in March. Kept trying over the last two months and kept hitting roadblocks on the required documents. :51_scream:

It depends on where you are going, it isn't the cruise line that requires it but the countries you are entering.  This is largely a situation in Europe.  The Caribbean, Bahamas, and Mexico only require an unexpired passport.  Technically you don't even need a passport if you are doing a closed loop cruise originating from the US (though it is highly recommended).

None of the Caribbean islands adhere to the three month or six month rules that some countries adhere to and you also have the option on Caribbean closed-loop cruising of using a birth certificate. We also ran into this same issue in January as my son's passport expired in February, about six weeks after our cruise. Knowing that we'd be travelling to Europe in June and knowing that the passports for children are only good for five years, we opted to wait until after our January cruise to renew his passport, which wasn't a problem.

I did notice that a supervisor had to come over to the check-in agent's computer to clear something, which I assume was a flag or warning about the passport's expiration date. However, nothing was said and we had no troubles either checking in or when going through Customs at the end.

Guest toodle68

My rule of thumb for government documents, especially passports, immigration etc.. if you have a question as to whether something might be ok, then just fix it and remove any possibility of problems.

If it's just Cozumel, you're in good shape! Just make sure it gets renewed ASAP upon return. 

Another fun passport rule I learned this year... if you renew your passport and your name changes (ex: you get married) less than a year after the renewal, you don't have to pay for the name change! Just send it back in with the name change form, photo, and the box checked stating that you had it renewed within the last year, and you're set! 

5 hours ago, KLAconQueso said:

Just make sure it gets renewed ASAP upon return. 

Great advice as the State Department is processing a record number of renewals as it was 2007 when the passport rules were extended to include North American travel/border crossings. 

• 4 months later...

Does anyone know if this applies to Non US/Non Canadian passports? My passport is valid for less than six months but I can still enter US according to US immigration rules, but Bahamas requires six month validity for me. Can I just board the ship, and not visit Nassau, or does Royal Caribbean have a problem with this? Their website says that they recommend it's valid for six months (but do not explicitly require it)

On ‎12‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 11:58 PM, DocLC said:

We also ran into this same issue in January as my son's passport expired in February, about six weeks after our cruise. Knowing that we'd be travelling to Europe in June and knowing that the passports for children are only good for five years, we opted to wait until after our January cruise to renew his passport, which wasn't a problem.

Whenever you renew prior to the expiration date, the new time (ten years for adults, five for children) is added to the original expiration date. Renewing in advance doesn't shorten the useful life of the passport.

On 5/10/2018 at 8:12 AM, HeWhoWaits said:

Whenever you renew prior to the expiration date, the new time (ten years for adults, five for children) is added to the original expiration date. Renewing in advance doesn't shorten the useful life of the passport.

Good to know!

On 5/10/2018 at 11:12 AM, HeWhoWaits said:

This was not the case for my Canadian Passport.  It was to expire 12/2017.  I went to renew in 10/2017.  The expiration date is 10/2027.  

1 hour ago, jurrjurr said:

This was not the case for my Canadian Passport.  It was to expire 12/2017.  I went to renew in 10/2017.  The expiration date is 10/2027.  

Same.  Mine was set to expire in September.  Renewed in July for 10 years and expiration date is 10 years from the "date of issue" (which is July, not September).

On 5/11/2018 at 5:14 PM, jurrjurr said:

On 5/11/2018 at 6:47 PM, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Same.  Mine was set to expire in September.  Renewed in July for 10 years and expiration date is 10 years from the "date of issue" (which is July, not September).

That has not been the case with my US passport either. I have renewed it twice and each time the new passport issue date was based on the time of application and not upon the prior expiration of the old passport. It is possible the US Dept of State may have changed the process since I renewed two years ago. 

• 6 months later...
  • 2 years later...