Gastro outbreak on Ovation

4 minutes ago, Sabrinaklai said:

Not sporty at all so where do you get these lyrca beanies from?

Since I'm in Colorado all the sport stores have them. Any sports stores that sells skiing gear in Ontario should carry them.  Often called Skull Caps or Helmet beanie.

https://www.amazon.com/Skull-Helmet-Liner-Running-Beanie/dp/B075ZP8VP1/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1513611266&sr=1-1-spons&nodeID=7141123011&psd=1&keywords=helmet+beanie&psc=1

EDIT - or helmet liner.

Just now, twangster said:

Since I'm in Colorado all the sport stores have them. Any sports stores that sells skiing gear in Ontario should carry them.  Often called Skull Caps or Helmet beanie.

https://www.amazon.com/Skull-Helmet-Liner-Running-Beanie/dp/B075ZP8VP1/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1513611266&sr=1-1-spons&nodeID=7141123011&psd=1&keywords=helmet+beanie&psc=1

Thanks!  Going to look into that right away!  Kids are going to do the rock climbing too, just thought of that.

I don't use any of those things, my wife just brings bottles of sanitizing gel in her purse for times when we're seeing that things are looking a little skeevy. We are strong proponents of regular and thorough hand washing after bathroom use or any time we've come into contact with anything really dirty / questionable (cleaning the cat boxes, handling wet garbage / sink strainer, etc). But we've read enough articles about the need to be exposed to dirt / grime / daily cruft so that your skin, gut, and immune system maintains a proper biome that we're all willing to "take our chances" and not worry over-much about sanitizing every surface we come into contact with in our travels.

And I will say that following that policy, my family and I have never gotten sick on any vacation we've been on, at least not with anything on the level of Norovirus or other real nasties. And we've been to Disney a couple of times (very clean, of course, but communal restaurants are still communal restaurants), and Six Flags (which is way less focused on spick and span levels of cleanliness than Disney) far more times than that over the years without incident. My younger daughter has had Noro at home once, and never ever ever wants to have it again, but that was most likely picked up at school.

2 hours ago, twangster said:

Since I'm a diver i have my own.  I don't trust local snorkel boats to sanitize anything.  "Yeah mon!  Looks clean to me"

I used to have my own too for diving, but gave that up! Having worked and traveled the Caribbean in past life, I have to agree totally with you, "yeah mon, we santitized it for sure! LOL  

7 hours ago, twangster said:

I have the the travel pack of this product for Noro.  $6.99 on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/TRAVEL-Medical-Disinfecting-single-Bacteria/dp/B06XY8RFS8/ref=sr_1_4_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1513613831&sr=8-4&keywords=sono+wipes

Just don't flush them, in the trash they go.  

They are effective in killing bacteria, but I did not find any information about anti-viral activity. AFAIK, there are only a few wipes that kill both.  

10 minutes ago, DDemuth said:

They are effective in killing bacteria, but I did not find any information about anti-viral activity. AFAIK, there are only a few wipes that kill both.  

The 1st medical grade disinfectant wipe suitable for home, gym and daily use.
Alcohol FREE! 20 wipes per soft pack 
Large 7x8 extremely moist towelettes. 
Quality fabric guaranteed to pick up dirt and soil. 
Kills H1N1, MRSA, salmonella, HIV1, HBV, Herpes Simplex virus type 1 and 2
Kills Norovirus Kills H7N9 and many other common bacteria and viruses. 

Also the manufacturer data sheets can be found here:

https://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/76a30f_005311ecbd4f4622a5102b9492301a9b.pdf

TO CLEAN AND DISINFECT [DISINFECTION / VIRUCIDAL* / MOLD AND MILDEW CONTROL]: Wipe surface with wipe until surface is visibly wet. Use enough wipes to thoroughly wet surfaces. Use extra wipes to keep surfaces wet for 4 minutes. For Candida albicans, treated surfaces must remain wet for 8 minutes. For Norwalk Virus, Feline Calicivirus, Norovirus and Rotavirus, treated surfaces must remain wet for 10 minutes. Permit surface to air dry. 

5a3851f8226ed_SONOWipes.thumb.jpeg.ad898acb1e24f0c8dfb78cf58fb59be0.jpeg

It seems that the wipes are targeted for enveloped viruses and are very effective in eliminating those.  But Norovirus  is not an enveloped virus.  The active components in those wipes may not be effective in killing non-enveloped viruses.  The wipes simply contain detergents that dissolve the lipid membrane enveloped viruses.  Those active agents are probably not or less effective against non-enveloped viruses.  You can see that in that exposure for greater than 10 minutes is required to kill Noro.  Still best to wash your hands with soap; lots of it.

17 hours ago, Boston Babe said:

Wow, it's not just me!! I was going to ask if people wipe down their stateroom, door handles remotes etc as I am planning on doing that! Having traveled for 20 years in hotel sales and seeing just the grime on airport escalators is enough to make your skin crawl!  Sabrina, which wipes are good for Noro Virus?

And ONE MORE Paranoid question!! Does anyone take their own Snorkel and Mask with them on Cruises? I know some say they are santized on the tours, but I don't necessarily trust this either!  LOL! 

We take our own snorkel gear for sure.  So gross to use the community gear.  No way I'm putting that thing in my mouth.