Gastro outbreak on Ovation

Looks like about 200 people on Ovation have had a rather 'difficult' cruise.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/a/38156826/gastro-hits-hobart-docked-cruise-ship/

I still maintain that cruise ships are cleaner than 99.9% of peoples homes and of course I've never seen so many signs or people reminding you to wash your hands as I have on cruise ship.

Hi,

The Norovirus was brought on by a passenger in Singapore and appeared on the second day of the cruise.

To combat the spread there was heightened cleaning and hand sanitising during the cruise. After about the 5th day there were restrictions on getting your own food and drink but otherwise it didn't impact the cruise too much. The captain kept everyone informed and encouraged people to wash their hands constantly.

The other thing they did was remove all the next cruise pamphlets which would be touched by multiple guests. They also stopped running the All Access tour and Galley visits.

We did not hear of anyone we met on the ship becoming infected.

We carry around a small bottle of hand sanitizer which we use just before eating. This reduces the risk of picking something up from the salt and pepper shakers or other potential items that are cleaned less regularly.

The media likes to pick up on this stuff and there is always a guest willing to comment on how bad things are, but it didn't really detract from our cruise experience.

As twangster says it is often found in many other places including hospitals which is one of the most sterile places you could encounter.

The crew did everything you would expect to reduce the chance of other guests contracting the virus and that is all you can ask. As a guest you also need to take responsibility in making sure you wash your hands in warm soapy water regularly and sanitising your hands often. 

Sorry guys, I can't get past the guy's ear lobe thingies in the youtube video. It all sounds good, may be true/medically accurate, but, put someone in a lab coat that looks like a medical professional and I would say ok, sounds good. My apologies if I have offended anyone here by what I just said. :27_sunglasses:

Guest toodle68

I have sat outside windjammer and watched many people refuse to sanitize their hands, been chased down by the crew member and even heard stories of security having to get involved. Those people then go and touch the serving utensils..  We started to take a small bottle of sanitizer so we can clean our hands after getting food but before we eat. 

Despite all the messages about washing hands, I still see nearly 50% of guys walk out of restrooms having not washed their hands.. it is absolutely no surprise to me when there is an outbreak and stunned it does not happen more. 

Hit my office a few years ago. Floor by floor we got hit- a bunch of friends wound up dehydrated in the hospital. I have become very particular about what I touch and where I eat. It was days of awfulness, I rarely get sick and this hit me bad. Sorry for anyone infected and for EVERYONE'S sake - WASH YO DAMN HANDS.

I can't tell you how many times I see people on the cruise ship (or anywhere else for that matter) cough into their hands and then touch utensils, the Windjammer chairs , railings etc. I was taught to cough into the crook (inside part) of your elbow. So simple but time after time I see the hand used instead. I bring hand sanitizer to every meal just for these reasons....

I agree that everyone just needs to wash their hands more frequently.  And people just need to practice  better hygiene and manners.  Our last cruise we saw many walk right past the hand washing stations too and someone walked right by our table as we were eating and coughed right over us.  If you watch Youtube videos of people filming the buffets, there of people walking around sneezing where the stations are.  It's no surprise that outbreaks happen.  Only takes one.  

Just an FYI though, regular Lysol and Clorox wipes don't kill Norovirus.  So far I have found only 2 that do that is sold to the general public.  They are both used in the health care field.  Clorox Healthcare Hydrogen Peroxide Disinfecting wipes and Oxivir TB wipes.  I used the Oxivir ones because I cannot get the Clorox ones in Canada.

Amazes me to see how inconsiderate and dirty people are. And this is when they are out in public and others  are around and signs everywhere reminding them. Can't imagine what they are like at home.

While I may not wash my hands generally as much when at home as when I cruise, when cruising I  make it a point to always wash often and sanitize.

People just seem to take hand washing far too casually. I remember a time at my last employer, one of my teammates came up next to me at the sink in the men's room. I was washing my usual thorough way (solid soaping up, thorough rinse), and he did a real quick run. He turned to leave and joked, "Are you prepping for surgery?" I just looked at him and asked when was the last time he saw me get sick; after about 10 seconds he finally conceded, "Good point."

::facepalm:: ??‍♂️

12 hours ago, rjac said:

Sorry guys, I can't get past the guy's ear lobe thingies in the youtube video. It all sounds good, may be true/medically accurate, but, put someone in a lab coat that looks like a medical professional and I would say ok, sounds good. My apologies if I have offended anyone here by what I just said. :27_sunglasses:

All right, all right - I'm getting off your lawn!  

Geez

There are more outbreaks of Noro on land than at sea; it's just that land outbreaks don't need to be reported. We actually had a couple of schools closed locally last year because of a Noro outbreak. Perhaps people will now have a new respect for Royal's hand washing song. What annoys me most, though, is how the media covers such instances. I've been following the stories and you'd think that an Ebola outbreak had occurred. 

We have just got off the Anthem from a 12 day trip. Must admit we are not a seasoned cruiser (4) like many I read on here but noticed quite a lot this time "not" doing the right thing by others.....what I mean by this if a person lacks a form of hygiene and that person gets sick...more fool you..however this seams never the case.

Noticed, not that I scan the toilets, when I've gone I wash my hands, noticed this trip many times males not washing after a "1 or 2" and just walked out.

Noticed, young kids at the Windjammer grabbing food (no tongs) as there parents have just let them "do what they want" un supervised.Cookies being the main items.

Sorry not OCD Clean but sometime you just have to question why when it's so quick to get sick in a confined area.

Regards Paul & Karen

4 hours ago, Paul&Karen said:

We have just got off the Anthem from a 12 day trip. Must admit we are not a seasoned cruiser (4) like many I read on here but noticed quite a lot this time "not" doing the right thing by others.....what I mean by this if a person lacks a form of hygiene and that person gets sick...more fool you..however this seams never the case.

Noticed, not that I scan the toilets, when I've gone I wash my hands, noticed this trip many times males not washing after a "1 or 2" and just walked out.

Noticed, young kids at the Windjammer grabbing food (no tongs) as there parents have just let them "do what they want" un supervised.Cookies being the main items.

Sorry not OCD Clean but sometime you just have to question why when it's so quick to get sick in a confined area.

Regards Paul & Karen

Perhaps we were on the same 12 night Anthem cruise last week.  I also saw people drop the tongs in the food so the handle they were just holding is now sitting in the food.

I've noticed the lack of hand washing on every cruise (multiple lines), in airports and other public places.  I've started bringing wipes on a plane and wiping down my seat area.  In hotels I also wipe handles, door knobs, the phone, the TV remote, light switches, etc.  I'm not OCD either but the lack of hygiene in public places concerns me enough to be that person.

Before I heard of the Indy outbreak I had ordered wipes that work on viral bugs like noro.  Glad I did, I'm on Indy next week.  

3 hours ago, twangster said:

Perhaps we were on the same 12 night Anthem cruise last week.  I also saw people drop the tongs in the food so the handle they were just holding is now sitting in the food.

I've noticed the lack of hand washing on every cruise (multiple lines), in airports and other public places.  I've started bringing wipes on a plane and wiping down my seat area.  In hotels I also wipe handles, door knobs, the phone, the TV remote, light switches, etc.  I'm not OCD either but the lack of hygiene in public places concerns me enough to be that person.

Before I heard of the Indy outbreak I had ordered wipes that work on viral bugs like noro.  Glad I did, I'm on Indy next week.  

Woohoo!  I am not the only one!  I have been teased forever about my paranoia over hygiene. I bring seat covers for the airplane, and that is after I wipe it down.  I also strip the bed at all hotels/cruises to check for bed bugs and make my family stand in the washroom or balcony while doing so until I know the room is "safe".  Then I disinfect the entire room by wiping it down with medical grade wipes that kill norovirus etc.  I want to buy a black light to check the beds further but my husband said enough is enough. Lol.  Once on the plane, after we sanitized and got the seat covers on, a flight attendant came over and asked if we had a life threatening allergy that we did not report.  My husband replied, "No, just a severe case of paranoia." :8_laughing:

I partially blame my behaviour on my job.  Working in a school you see lots over the years...poor hygiene, lice, bed bugs, etc.  Germ factory, that's what I call it.  But I will make no excuses, I am a germophobe.  But after everything is sanitized, I feel so much better :)  Hygiene is so unbelievably poor out there that I try take control of whatever I can.

13 hours ago, Sabrinaklai said:

Woohoo!  I am not the only one!  I have been teased forever about my paranoia over hygiene. I bring seat covers for the airplane, and that is after I wipe it down.  I also strip the bed at all hotels/cruises to check for bed bugs and make my family stand in the washroom or balcony while doing so until I know the room is "safe".  Then I disinfect the entire room by wiping it down with medical grade wipes that kill norovirus etc.  I want to buy a black light to check the beds further but my husband said enough is enough. Lol.  Once on the plane, after we sanitized and got the seat covers on, a flight attendant came over and asked if we had a life threatening allergy that we did not report.  My husband replied, "No, just a severe case of paranoia." :8_laughing:

I partially blame my behaviour on my job.  Working in a school you see lots over the years...poor hygiene, lice, bed bugs, etc.  Germ factory, that's what I call it.  But I will make no excuses, I am a germophobe.  But after everything is sanitized, I feel so much better :)  Hygiene is so unbelievably poor out there that I try take control of whatever I can.

Wow...that is extreme....and for someone that seems to travel a lot, it isn't just like a onetime thing for you! That's a lot of work to say the least and with a family in tow as well!

I didn't even know you could buy seat covers for a plane seat....a bathroom seat yes but......:3_grin:

13 hours ago, RBRSKI said:

We are on the Indy this Thursday for a 9 Night Holiday Cruise.  I hope she received a super scrub down on Saturday and one more on Thursday before we board her..

I was on Anthem two cruises after her recent brush with it.  We had delayed boarding as they sanitized the ship and the terminal.  On board the glass elevators had a film of cleaning solution making the glass not so shiny and clean but I was fine with that and knew exactly what it was so I didn't even mention it in my blog.   We were fine and had no repeat occurrences.   

58 minutes ago, twangster said:

I was on Anthem two cruises after her recent brush with it.  We had delayed boarding as they sanitized the ship and the terminal.  On board the glass elevators had a film of cleaning solution making the glass not so shiny and clean but I was fine with that and knew exactly what it was so I didn't even mention it in my blog.   We were fine and had no repeat occurrences.   

Thanks for the heads up.  I also think if you are a person who GAS (gives a sh__)  you will be-aware that you are traveling with over 5,000 people and have some basic hygiene skills.  I actually have been in contact with the Diamond Concierge Manager and she said it was an interesting voyage and glad it was over.

2 hours ago, monctonguy said:

Wow...that is extreme....and for someone that seems to travel a lot, it isn't just like a onetime thing for you! That's a lot of work to say the least and with a family in tow as well!

I didn't even know you could buy seat covers for a plane seat....a bathroom seat yes but......:3_grin:

LOL!  Like I mentioned, I have now taught in schools for 17 years and hubby has worked in the healthcare industry for 15 and if you have seen and heard the things we have over the years, it is worth the work!  That and I am a bit crazy....:13_upside_down:

2 hours ago, monctonguy said:

514q4v6DlDL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg

From Amazon, I buy the packs with a dozen lol.

11 minutes ago, Sabrinaklai said:

LOL!  Like I mentioned, I have now taught in schools for 17 years and hubby has worked in the healthcare industry for 15 and if you have seen and heard the things we have over the years, it is worth the work!  That and I am a bit crazy....:13_upside_down:

Wow, it's not just me!! I was going to ask if people wipe down their stateroom, door handles remotes etc as I am planning on doing that! Having traveled for 20 years in hotel sales and seeing just the grime on airport escalators is enough to make your skin crawl!  Sabrina, which wipes are good for Noro Virus?

And ONE MORE Paranoid question!! Does anyone take their own Snorkel and Mask with them on Cruises? I know some say they are santized on the tours, but I don't necessarily trust this either!  LOL! 

11 minutes ago, Boston Babe said:

Wow, it's not just me!! I was going to ask if people wipe down their stateroom, door handles remotes etc as I am planning on doing that! Having traveled for 20 years in hotel sales and seeing just the grime on airport escalators is enough to make your skin crawl!  Sabrina, which wipes are good for Noro Virus?

And ONE MORE Paranoid question!! Does anyone take their own Snorkel and Mask with them on Cruises? I know some say they are santized on the tours, but I don't necessarily trust this either!  LOL! 

I do it and do the same in hotel rooms, too, with Chlorox wipes. I also do the same on airplanes with the tray table, seat belt, arm rests, etc. 

Just be aware Chlorox wipes available in retail stores don't work on viral infections like noro.  You have to seek out a product that does.  The wipes I use require 10 minutes of wet contact time to kill noro.  You have to use a few fresh wipes a couple times to keep surfaces wet for 10 minutes. 

Chlorox wipes are good, don't get me wrong, just be aware of what they are good for. 

12 minutes ago, Boston Babe said:

Most of them are medical grade and not sold the general public but two are:  Clorox Healthcare Hydrogen Peroxide wipes and Oxivir TB wipes.  Both kill viruses.  Those are the two that I know.  Maybe others know of other options.  I know @twangster has ones too.

I don't snorkel but friends of ours that do always bring their own equipment.  I think that is just cause they prefer it.  But yes, anything that goes on your head you think of head lice!  I am "that parent", my kids have a gym bag full of safety glasses and every colour mesh pinnie possible so that they don't have to wear one that another student has worn.  Seen to many head lice cases.  I am already freaking out over our next cruise because they all signed up for ifly and I know you have to wear the helmet and suit. 

1 minute ago, Boston Babe said:

Do you take your own snorkel too? I know it's being paranoid, but you just never know!! 

Only once. 

While I don't think it's necessary to clean on the ship as they're super concerned about Noro, I simply do it as a safety precaution. On airplanes, I think it's necessary as their cleaning is abysmal. 

1 minute ago, twangster said:

Just be aware Chlorox wipes available in retail stores don't work on viral infections like noro.  You have to seek out a product that does.  The wipes I use require 10 minutes of wet contact time to kill noro.  You have to use a few fresh wipes a couple times to keep surfaces wet for 10 minutes. 

Chlorox wipes are good, don't get me wrong, just be aware of what they are good for. 

Totally correct!  The regular Chlorox wipes don't kill viruses.  They have a special line that does.

Just now, Sabrinaklai said:

I am already freaking out over our next cruise because they all signed up for ifly and I know you have to wear the helmet and suit. 

I ski with a helmet and use a small lyrca beanie under my helmet.  You can always bring those, very small, lightweight.  They do spray the helmets after each iFly session but...

26 minutes ago, Boston Babe said:

IMG_5902.JPG.6d11f10d71d7f4497a66409e71e8a5c0.JPGIMG_5903.JPG.13ff65c3ff00a568f20f974e1a8359ae.JPG

These are the ones I use.  Oxivir TB.