Recommended carry bag for while on land

JLMoran

@UkuleleCruiser's recent post asking about luggage spurred me to create a sort of companion thread. When you leave the ship to go on land and sight see or do a formal excursion, what do you use to carry all of your "stuff" that you would typically bring? At first I thought that I wouldn't need much of anything, since I was figuring on just bringing my passport and Sea Pass card (one shorts pocket), and my mobile phone and some cash (other pocket); my wife would have the sunscreen in her beach satchel bag, and I'm good. But now I'm going through this in my head, and at least for myself I'll be carrying a fair bit more since I plan to try and do a lot of photography and videography:

• Moment lenses (to pop on and off of my iPhone case as needed)
  • Folding mini-tripod and ShoulderPod phone mount/hand grip
  • Possibly the 3-axis gimbal I bought, depending on which port we're in and how much video I expect to take vs still photos
  • Spare battery for the gimbal
  • Battery pack and charing cable for the phone
  • Water shoes (for two of our four port stops, where I actually expect to go into the water)
    • I can't wear them all day, the ones I bought can't be modified with a lift or hold my orthotics, so I'll only put them on when needed
    • These will definitely be the bulkiest items, and since they'll be wet after use I need to keep them separate from the photography gear
  • A bottle or two of water to keep hydrated
  • Sunscreen (at this point I might as well carry mine in my own bag)
  • Whatever my wife or kids decide I can carry since I've already turned myself into a pack mule :7_sweat_smile:

There's probably another item or two I'm not thinking of. Definitely more than what will fit in a fanny pack (and I wouldn't want to wear one of those, anyway). I would use one of my kids' backpacks, but they are likely to be using them themselves. Is a satchel bag / men's "purse" a good idea? Just a cheap backpack with lots of pockets to hold all the smaller bits? Will appreciate whatever suggestions you can offer, especially those of you who also tend to bring photography gear along.

As you consider packs for port days also consider waterproof options.  Rain happens.  

I'm currently using a large fanny pack.  While fanny packs aren't my favorite fashion accessory they work well for carrying a couple of lens for my DSLR.  Function trumps form and I'm old enough to not care what people think of me and my fanny.

I also have a lightweight dry bag that folds flat and inserts below my lens but if a rain storm happens I can pull it out and place my fanny pack and DSLR into it.  I did just that on St Thomas yesterday and it was very comforting knowing everything was safe.  Phone, wallet, money all went in.

A full backpack is too much for me most days and I like being agile.  

5a298027bef42_Anthem2Day5FannyPacks-1.jpg.b91706dad794ab7444bd01d7e6ff74d4.jpg

Anthem 2 Day 5 Fanny Packs-2.jpg

24 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

@UkuleleCruiser's recent post asking about luggage spurred me to create a sort of companion thread. When you leave the ship to go on land and sight see or do a formal excursion, what do you use to carry all of your "stuff" that you would typically bring? At first I thought that I wouldn't need much of anything, since I was figuring on just bringing my passport and Sea Pass card (one shorts pocket), and my mobile phone and some cash (other pocket); my wife would have the sunscreen in her beach satchel bag, and I'm good. But now I'm going through this in my head, and at least for myself I'll be carrying a fair bit more since I plan to try and do a lot of photography and videography:

• Moment lenses (to pop on and off of my iPhone case as needed)
  • Folding mini-tripod and ShoulderPod phone mount/hand grip
  • Possibly the 3-axis gimbal I bought, depending on which port we're in and how much video I expect to take vs still photos
  • Spare battery for the gimbal
  • Battery pack and charing cable for the phone
  • Water shoes (for two of our four port stops, where I actually expect to go into the water)
    • I can't wear them all day, the ones I bought can't be modified with a lift or hold my orthotics, so I'll only put them on when needed
    • These will definitely be the bulkiest items, and since they'll be wet after use I need to keep them separate from the photography gear
  • A bottle or two of water to keep hydrated
  • Sunscreen (at this point I might as well carry mine in my own bag)
  • Whatever my wife or kids decide I can carry since I've already turned myself into a pack mule :7_sweat_smile:

There's probably another item or two I'm not thinking of. Definitely more than what will fit in a fanny pack (and I wouldn't want to wear one of those, anyway). I would use one of my kids' backpacks, but they are likely to be using them themselves. Is a satchel bag / men's "purse" a good idea? Just a cheap backpack with lots of pockets to hold all the smaller bits? Will appreciate whatever suggestions you can offer, especially those of you who also tend to bring photography gear along.

This is a great topic! When i go ashore, i bring phone, sometimes binoculars, sometimes a separate camera. I often bring a ukulele. My go-to bag is a convertible fanny pack -- Sorry, JL! It converts to a backpack, which is also useful for bringing back junk.... I mean, wonderful treasures... I don't think Eagle Creek makes these anymore, but here's a similar find: https://www.amazon.com/Backpack-Convertible-top-Portion-Inside-Expandable/dp/B00UOCUI3S

I also found a fishing vest that has a sleeve across the lower back. My plan is to stash the ukulele there. Maybe that will replace some of these other items I would normally carry in the fanny pack...

Joe, I used to carry a big back pack and have it loaded up, but recently I have gotten to where all I carry is a water proof draw string bag I picked up at Ron Jon. I holds just enough so that it is not to heavy, as long as I don't let my Wife shop to much it usually doesn't get heavy enough to start hurting my shoulders.

One thing that has started throwing a hitch in to what I take on shore is the ship telling us that we must have our Sea Pass card along with our Passports to gain access back to the ship, on the cruise I went on in October, Allure, Bahamas, Cozumel and Costa Maya, we had to show our Passports once in Cozumel, anyway I take a water proof pouch to keep my passports in where as before I never did this.

If we are going to a beach break my Wife will also carry a beach bag for nothing but the towels from the ship.

2 minutes ago, tiny260 said:

Joe, I used to carry a big back pack and have it loaded up, but recently I have gotten to where all I carry is a water proof draw string bag I picked up at Ron Jon. I holds just enough so that it is not to heavy, as long as I don't let my Wife shop to much it usually doesn't get heavy enough to start hurting my shoulders.

One thing that has started throwing a hitch in to what I take on shore is the ship telling us that we must have our Sea Pass card along with our Passports to gain access back to the ship, on the cruise I went on in October, Allure, Bahamas, Cozumel and Costa Maya, we had to show our Passports once in Cozumel, anyway I take a water proof pouch to keep my passports in where as before I never did this.

If we are going to a beach break my Wife will also carry a beach bag for nothing but the towels from the ship.

Oh, wow! Didn't know we had to show passports again. That's new. I might settle for the very high tech ziplock bag. Which we always bring anyway. You, know: for leftovers. Oddly enough, even though we have always done this, none of our cruises have ever run out of food...

1 minute ago, UkuleleCruiser said:

Oh, wow! Didn't know we had to show passports again. That's new. I might settle for the very high tech ziplock bag. Which we always bring anyway. You, know: for leftovers. Oddly enough, even though we have always done this, none of our cruises have ever run out of food...

Zip lock was the water proof pouch I was referring to, lol, yea, we couldn't figure it out, unless it was a post hurricane security measure, they had extra security officers at disembarkation reminding people they needed their Passport, a lot of people had to go back to their rooms for passports.

8 minutes ago, tiny260 said:

Zip lock was the water proof pouch I was referring to, lol, yea, we couldn't figure it out, unless it was a post hurricane security measure, they had extra security officers at disembarkation reminding people they needed their Passport, a lot of people had to go back to their rooms for passports.

Zip Lock: The Ultimate Cruise Survival Tool. They aren't just for keeping your phone dry in the tub.

That's interesting about passports.  I know you need photo ID such as a driver's license but I've never been told passport specifically is a requirement.  I've been to Cozumel 3 times this year and never carried my passport off the ship. Most recent was on Freedom in November.  i used my driver's license.  San Juan also requires photo ID and I used a TWIC card since it's plastic and easy to carry around with my SeaPass card.  

I'm not 100% positive, they may have also said photo ID and the way my brain works just directly associated it to Passport, but the more I think about it, I believe they were saying passport because I commented to my wife and asked her if she remembered them doing that before, she did not.

I definitely remember one of the 3 stops having to show our passports, now this was at the security area you pass through before getting to the ship at the port, usually where they xray all the bags. Once we got to the ship all we needed was our Seapass card.

In Cozumel this time we were also checked by dogs to make sure we were not bringing any food off the ship to the island. Saw multiple people stopped by the dog and they had to pull out whatever was in their bags.

1 hour ago, JLMoran said:

Just a cheap backpack with lots of pockets to hold all the smaller bits? Will appreciate whatever suggestions you can offer, especially those of you who also tend to bring photography gear along.

Joe, check out Eagle Creek, they have ALOT of nifty things and LIFETIME Guarantee. I'm checking them out for the same reason as you plus their luggage as well. A bit pricey but heard good things about them.

1 hour ago, tiny260 said:

as long as I don't let my Wife shop to much

Whenever we go ashore on a cruise, I always hold my wife's hand. That way she can't spend any money! Actually my wife has a black belt in shopping.....she'll buy anything marked down, she came home last week with an escalator. :3_grin:

1 hour ago, UkuleleCruiser said:

My go-to bag is a convertible fanny pack -- Sorry, JL! It converts to a backpack, which is also useful for bringing back junk.... I mean, wonderful treasures... I don't think Eagle Creek makes these anymore, but here's a similar find: https://www.amazon.com/Backpack-Convertible-top-Portion-Inside-Expandable/dp/B00UOCUI3S

Thanks, @UkuleleCruiser! Not sure that this one will work for me, mainly because of the lack of compartments. Since I'll be bringing the water shoes and likely putting them into the bag while still at least a little wet/damp after use, I want to be sure there's a separate compartment to keep the residual water away from whatever electronics and such I have in there. But I've added it to my "cruise prep" list on Amazon so I don't forget about this option, since it's otherwise kind of ideal. Might grab one for the kids or my wife to use if they want.

2 hours ago, rjac said:

My daughter gave me one of these a few years ago and it has plenty of storage space/pockets. I have used it many times while traveling and cruising. Handles a laptop and two bottles of wine no problemo.https://www.swissgear.com/backpacks/1900-scansmarttm-laptop-backpack

That's actually a bit larger and deeper than I'm looking for. I know I should probably buy something a little bigger than what I think I'll need for the gear I listed above, but that's sized for a 17" laptop and (having owned one of those back in the day) I know that's going to be huge. Sorry, I feel a bit like I'm being Goldilocks here, trying to find the pack that's "just right". :3_grin:

Based on @twangster's comment about being prepared for rain, I dug around on LL Bean and Amazon and found this Osprey Daylite Plus and size-matched rain cover. Added those into my "Cruise Prep" list as well. Size is closer to what I'm looking for, and I'm hoping I can remove the laptop sleeve since I don't need it. Also one of the less-expensive options I've found, although I wish the rain cover was just included up front. Osprey has another backpack named the "FlapJack" which is listed as water resistant, but multiple commenters there said it wouldn't hold up in a heavier rain; that one was $110 by itself, while the Daylite Plus and cover are $80 total, so seemed like the better way to go.

Definitely will still watch here for other suggestions, I'm just saving ideas for now.

2 hours ago, Boston Babe said:

Joe, check out Eagle Creek, they have ALOT of nifty things and LIFETIME Guarantee. I'm checking them out for the same reason as you plus their luggage as well. A bit pricey but heard good things about them.

Oooh, forgot to check these guys. Their Travel Bug Mini backpack is actually a little bit smaller even than that Osprey one I found, and Amazon currently has it for $45 instead of the list $65. One more for the "Cruise Prep" list!

Also looks like that Osprey rain cover will work with a 10.5L pack; found a comment on the product page saying it was designed for 10-20L packs. So I might have a winning pair here!

1 hour ago, JLMoran said:

Also looks like that Osprey rain cover will work with a 10.5L pack; found a comment on the product page saying it was designed for 10-20L packs. So I might have a winning pair here!

Well, there you go!! LOL, now if I could find something from them I'd be a happy camper! :4_joy: 

10 hours ago, toodle68 said:

We use this..  Carry it in my luggage and then comes out for the excursions. Big enough to hold water bottles, two towels and beach gear etc..

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MQ23LPS/

When we are checking luggage and going on vacation, I don't want to be hauling a backpack around in airports and around the ship etc.

Adding this to my "cruise prep" list as another option, but have to think about this one a bit more carefully. I read the reviews on it, and they do mention that because it is so thin and light, you have to be careful not to abrade the material or poke it with anything sharp that you put in there. I'm more concerned about the abrading part, as the water shoes I've bought do have a rough-textured sole for gripping on sand and rocks. But maybe I can take a towel from the ship and wrap them in that to avoid that problem. Also, when I'm not bringing the shoes it's going to be very empty and jangling around on my back.

It's also a fair bit bigger; about twice the size / capacity as the Eagle Creek one I put in my list, and 1.5x the Osprey one. I do realize that volume increases way faster than length/width/height, so it's not really that much bigger physically; just a couple of inches in each dimension, I just don't want it hanging down to my butt when it's nearly empty. But... when it's so lightweight, it might be better to have that so I've got the space for carrying stuff the family finds in markets or throwing an extra towel in there.

Auughh! Too many choices, too many decisions!! :52_fearful:

I have had a LUG bag for about 4 years now. It was invented by a woman who was driving back and forth from Dallas to Canada about every two months meeting with her fiance. It is an amazing bag and I use it every trip, as my carry on and in port. At least once or twice in the airport, port or ship, people stop and ask if that is a LUG. Two flight attendants had to bring theirs out to show me that they had them also. It has so many zippered compartments, it is waterproff, but it is expensive. It is called the LUG Puddle Jumper.

https://www.luglife.com/products/mini-puddle-jumper?variant=39503239441

Candie

This is what I use in port: Outlander Packable Handy Lightweight Travel Backpack https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00TEIVQ4I?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf

I like that it's water proof and collapses for travel. More importantly it's light weight and the company stands behind their product. While I used to simply use my travel backpack, it was a pain unloading it to use on shore. 

Guest toodle68
On 12/9/2017 at 2:46 AM, DocLC said:

This is what I use in port: Outlander Packable Handy Lightweight Travel Backpack https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00TEIVQ4I?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf

I like that it's water proof and collapses for travel. More importantly it's light weight and the company stands behind their product. While I used to simply use my travel backpack, it was a pain unloading it to use on shore. 

My wife has that version of it. She always has to carry something on the plane, but that bag was never useful for the excursions. So we each got one of these type and put in our luggage. It is a perfect size for multiple towels, water bottles etc.  I would not hike with it, but great for cruise excursions.

12 hours ago, Sabrinaklai said:

And as for getting wet, I wear my lulu and hubby wears his dri-fit stuff and we dry quickly if we get wet ?

LOL. That's fair enough, but my reason for water resistance / proof-ness is the electronics I expect to be carrying in it. Those don't like the water, and aren't afraid to tell me! :3_grin:

On 12/9/2017 at 1:46 AM, DocLC said:

Ok... weirdly enough I was on Amazon looking for my husband for our river cruise and bought this same pack.   And then came back and saw your quote.   Did you buy the smaller one or bigger one?   I got the smaller one for Jeff and he is a pretty big guy... hoping it is big enough.   Jane

On 12/7/2017 at 1:53 PM, tiny260 said:

I'm not 100% positive, they may have also said photo ID and the way my brain works just directly associated it to Passport, but the more I think about it, I believe they were saying passport because I commented to my wife and asked her if she remembered them doing that before, she did not.

I definitely remember one of the 3 stops having to show our passports, now this was at the security area you pass through before getting to the ship at the port, usually where they xray all the bags. Once we got to the ship all we needed was our Seapass card.

In Cozumel this time we were also checked by dogs to make sure we were not bringing any food off the ship to the island. Saw multiple people stopped by the dog and they had to pull out whatever was in their bags.

yes.  Sometimes you do actually need your passport.  it always tells you in the cruise planner and on the morning show

On 12/16/2017 at 9:26 PM, mom2mybugs said:

Ok... weirdly enough I was on Amazon looking for my husband for our river cruise and bought this same pack.   And then came back and saw your quote.   Did you buy the smaller one or bigger one?   I got the smaller one for Jeff and he is a pretty big guy... hoping it is big enough.   Jane

The bigger one, but I think the size of the steaks and what not are the same and I'm a pretty big guy myself.