Luggage

The old, thrift store luggage we have been using is not in good shape, so it looks like we are buying luggage for our February cruise. We do not have to fly to the port, so we have that advantage. But I need some advice: Recommendations for luggage? What would be perfect for cruising based on your experience? How about cost: What particular brand or style seems most cost effective?

1 hour ago, UkuleleCruiser said:

The old, thrift store luggage we have been using is not in good shape, so it looks like we are buying luggage for our February cruise. We do not have to fly to the port, so we have that advantage. But I need some advice: Recommendations for luggage? What would be perfect for cruising based on your experience? How about cost: What particular brand or style seems most cost effective?

After our research we went with the Lojel Octa hardside luggage and have been very happy. The 2 most appealing features to us were: There are no zippers and the wheels are replaceable should they ever break. 

No zippers mean no accidental opening and way less chance of bedbugs hitching a ride.

You can see this luggage here http://www.lojel.us but can buy them (as we did) at a MUCH lower price on eBags.com 

They have held up very well so far on both airlines and ships. The only downside is that there are no compartments or lining inside.

I buy a brand called Briggs and Riley, but they are expensive, guaranteed for life, it's almost like buying an heirloom piece of furniture.

But I have also gone to Kohl's and other places and bought was the best price, they lasted as long as they last.  Also used ebags.com, has a good sort and rating system to make an informed decision.

1 minute ago, Skid said:

After our research we went with the Lojel Octa hardside luggage and have been very happy. The 2 most appealing features to us were: There are no zippers and the wheels are replaceable should they ever break. 

No zippers mean no accidental opening and way less chance of bedbugs hitching a ride.

You can see this luggage here http://www.lojel.us but can buy them (as we did) at a MUCH lower on eBags.com 

They have held up very well so far on both airlines and ships. The only downside is that there are no compartments or lining inside.

Thank you very much! They look darned sturdy! Do they fit under the bed? Where do you stash them?

1 minute ago, tiny260 said:

I buy a brand called Briggs and Riley, but they are expensive, guaranteed for life, it's almost like buying an heirloom piece of furniture.

But I have also gone to Kohl's and other places and bought was the best price, they lasted as long as they last.  Also used ebags.com, has a good sort and rating system to make an informed decision.

That's the second reference to ebag. Will definitely have to check that out! Kohl's is another good lead. The Briggs & Riley bags are a bit pricey, but with a lifetime guarantee.....

A few years back I purchased 3 pieces of Luggage Pro which had lifetime warranties.  It has proven to have been a good investment. Between work and vacations we travel a lot and our luggage takes a beating. I have had a few annoying types of repairs like zipper pulls coming off but a number of fairly significant repairs like wheels being replaced and zippers breaking.

It was pricey but over the long run, has paid for itself and the overall looks and condition is still very good.  Be careful. Not all Luggage Pro has a lifetime warranty.

1 minute ago, UkuleleCruiser said:

Thank you very much! They look darned sturdy! Do they fit under the bed? Where do you stash them?

We have never tried putting them under a bed. Usually put 1 in the closet and leave one upright next to a couch, dresser or balcony door, sometimes using it as a shelf?

3 minutes ago, UkuleleCruiser said:

That's funny! I was going to ask if you put a board across the top and made them into a table.

We never travel without a board! hehe. Oh, FYI, we usually end up using all 50 pounds the airlines allow and this luggage still rolls upright VERY easily.

Almost all of our bags are from Timbuk2 and we've been using their stuff for years of flying, cruising, and more.  You can buy them direct, on Amazon, and from others.  

We have 2 of their carry-on-sized Co-Pilots and one extra large (must be checked).  We also have several of their messengers: small "daily carry" bags and  larger Command laptop messengers.  They also make travel wallets, pouches, and other things you'll find on me at any given point.

They think of all the little things.  Inside zippered sections are fastened to neoprene, so when you've packed too much in and are zipping up the compartment it doesn't feel like the fabric is going to tear or the zipper fail.  There are handled on all 4 edges of the Co-Pilots so that when you go to get a heavy bag from a trunk, the baggage carousel, etc you can easily grab it.  Most of their bags are made with waterproof materials, wheeled bags use ABEC bearings and skateboard wheels so they roll smooth, and the workmanship is fantastic while remaining light.  

Their products have a lifetime warranty, and thoughtfully, some parts are user replaceable (like the wheels and bearings, pads for straps, etc).  Find almost any pic of me on a trip and I've got Timbuk2 bags with me, and in most cases, one on me.

14 hours ago, tiny260 said:

Yeah my wife vetoed my desire to buy the Briggs and Riley luggage. I really wanted it.

There's a brand called Away that I've heard good things about, including from @DocLC either here on these boards or possibly a podcast episode he guest-appeared on. They look rock-solid, and their carry-on unit has an integrated battery and USB charging ports to let you charge up your phone / tablet / laptop without having to hunt for an outlet wherever you are. Given how much my family uses our devices, I'm strongly considering getting at least their carry-on for myself.

If you go to that link and use promo code "ATP" or "TALKSHOW" (possibly "THETALKSHOW", it seems to change from time to time) you should get a small discount -- they're a regular sponsor of two of the tech podcasts I listen to and that's the code associated to each of them.

16 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

A few years back I purchased 3 pieces of Luggage Pro which had lifetime warranties.  It has proven to have been a good investment. Between work and vacations we travel a lot and our luggage takes a beating. I have had a few annoying types of repairs like zipper pulls coming off but a number of fairly significant repairs like wheels being replaced and zippers breaking.

It was pricey but over the long run, has paid for itself and the overall looks and condition is still very good.  Be careful. Not all Luggage Pro has a lifetime warranty.

Good to know!

44 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

There's a brand called Away that I've heard good things about, including from @DocLC either here on these boards or possibly a podcast episode he guest-appeared on. They look rock-solid, and their carry-on unit has an integrated battery and USB charging ports to let you charge up your phone / tablet / laptop without having to hunt for an outlet wherever you are. Given how much my family uses our devices, I'm strongly considering getting at least their carry-on for myself.

If you go to that link and use promo code "ATP" or "TALKSHOW" (possibly "THETALKSHOW", it seems to change from time to time) you should get a small discount -- they're a regular sponsor of two of the tech podcasts I listen to and that's the code associated to each of them.

Good tip. Thank you!

I, too, am in desperate need of new luggage.  I had been looking at the Away bags.  Their bags fit inside each other for ease of storage, and they have chargers built into them.  They also seem reasonably priced.

I'm appreciative of the other information here.  Definitely need to do more research before making a decision...

20 minutes ago, Stephanie said:

I, too, am in desperate need of new luggage.  I had been looking at the Away bags.  Their bags fit inside each other for ease of storage, and they have chargers built into them.  They also seem reasonably priced.

I'm appreciative of the other information here.  Definitely need to do more research before making a decision...

I personally am averse to bags with built in chargers for a few reasons.  For one, I'd rather have a charger that can go in any bag, my pocket, etc.  I own several different Anker chargers - great quality.  Another great reason - airlines aren't keen on large lithium batteries that can't be easily removed.  I always figured this would come up - and recently I saw this: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dr-gridlock/wp/2017/12/06/thinking-about-getting-one-of-those-smart-bags-for-your-holiday-travel-read-this-first/

5 hours ago, Goofyfanatic said:

Yeah my wife vetoed my desire to buy the Briggs and Riley luggage. I really wanted it.

I had just gone through 3 cheaper bags breaking on me, wheels (Trying to pull a 1 wheeled suit case through the airport was not fun), zippers, handles etc., and decided I wasn't going through that anymore, so I went with the Briggs and Riley, they will probably break eventually but so far the 3 pieces I have are holding. 

One thing no one is mentioning that I see is the material of the suite case, I went with the Poly-carbonate because of the weight restrictions on the airlines, the material feels a little flimsy but seems to hold up to the airport baggage handlers.

12 hours ago, JLMoran said:

I'm a big fan of my Away Luggage. This link will get you $20 off and also give me $20 if you decide to buy: http://fbuy.me/fyDl_ 

I used the bag travelling internationally for a British Isles cruise which included two train trips. Have the integrated battery, lifetime guarantee, and nice wheels were great. In addition, the battery pack is removable, which is important to know as some airlines are talking about banning "smart" luggage because of the batteries. This is really only an issue if you are forced to check the bag for some reason.

My wife, on the other hand, really likes her Zuca carry-on bag, but it's about a half inch too wide for some carry-on sizers. What's nice is that it's made from aircraft grade aluminum, you can sit on it, and it can support 300+ pounds. My son loves it as it gives him a place to sit when his legs are tired and has even proven useful when cruising as we've used it in the Windjammer during boarding day lunch when we were only able to find a table for two. We used the luggage as our third seat at the table. If you're in to packing cubes, this is the piece of luggage to go with.

9 hours ago, Stephanie said:

I'm very happy with my Away bag and appreciate that the battery can be removed. Note that only the carry-on bag has the battery as far as I know. I wrote about the bag here https://mycruisecourse.wordpress.com/2017/06/13/embarkation-day/ if you're interested.

I agree with @monorailmedic that external battery packs are much more convenient and I carry two of them with me, plus a third that doubles as a hand warmer for my wife in colder climates. While I didn't buy the Away carry-on solely for this purpose since I already had external battery packs, I did like the convenience of having it in the bag. It's also a great way to make friends at the airport when waiting for your plane, especially when you have a couple of spares in your backpack. ;)

On 12/5/2017 at 6:42 PM, UkuleleCruiser said:

For me it's all about the fabric pattern.  We found a 3pc set with ships, palm trees, light houses, etc on it, from TJMaxx.  No idea if it's actually any good (haven't had a chance to try it out yet) lol, don't really care, cause we're gonna look super cool pulling it around ?

But seriously, I have a big Oakley suit case that I love.  We've had it almost 7 years now and it'll easily do another 7 (no idea if 14yrs is good or not, lol).

I have a couple of Samsonite hardsided spinner suitcases that I really love - the carry on 20 inch size and the slightly larger 24 inch size. I've used them for both cruise and work travel, and I've been very happy with them! They're also fairly reasonably priced on Amazon. 

We have 2 cruises scheduled for next year, and I want to get new luggage before then.  You have all provided some really great information, esp in regards to the battery pack thing.  It definitely was not what drew me to the bag, as I do carry portable quick chargers with me.  I just thought it was a neat feature, but I'm glad to know the airlines' aversion to them.

@DocLC - thanks, too, for the coupon code!

9 hours ago, RestingBirds said:

For me it's all about the fabric pattern.  We found a 3pc set with ships, palm trees, light houses, etc on it, from TJMaxx.  No idea if it's actually any good (haven't had a chance to try it out yet) lol, don't really care, cause we're gonna look super cool pulling it around ?

But seriously, I have a big Oakley suit case that I love.  We've had it almost 7 years now and it'll easily do another 7 (no idea if 14yrs is good or not, lol).

Wait a minute: I like ships, palm trees, and light houses...

Just pulled this off a Yahoo articale, said most major US airlines are supporting this position, this specific comment was from AA:

“Beginning Jan. 15, customers who travel with a smart bag must be able to remove the battery in case the bag has to be checked at any point in the customer’s journey. If the battery cannot be removed, the bag will not be allowed,” the company wrote in a statement.

5 minutes ago, tiny260 said:

Just pulled this off a Yahoo articale, said most major US airlines are supporting this position, this specific comment was from AA:

“Beginning Jan. 15, customers who travel with a smart bag must be able to remove the battery in case the bag has to be checked at any point in the customer’s journey. If the battery cannot be removed, the bag will not be allowed,” the company wrote in a statement.

Thanks to you....i had to google what a smart bag was :4_joy: I own dumb bags! :8_laughing: so i guess I'm good to go! :4_joy:

We recently got the Amazon Basics hardsided spinner bags.  Both 20" and 24", not to brag about size...

They worked out great and nest inside of each other.  How they'll work out long term is yet to be seen, but definitely a more cost effective route if they hold up for a few years.  

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Hardside-Spinner-Luggage-24-inch/dp/B071NPGSRM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1512680178&sr=8-1&keywords=amazon+basics+suitcase

They also have a hardshell version available if that's your "bag" baby.  

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Hardshell-Spinner-Cabin-Slate/dp/B0741KJTNV/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1512680178&sr=8-3&keywords=amazon+basics+suitcase

18 minutes ago, betatke1480 said:

We recently got the Amazon Basics hardsided spinner bags.  Both 20" and 24", not to brag about size...

They worked out great and nest inside of each other.  How they'll work out long term is yet to be seen, but definitely a more cost effective route if they hold up for a few years.  

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Hardside-Spinner-Luggage-24-inch/dp/B071NPGSRM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1512680178&sr=8-1&keywords=amazon+basics+suitcase

They also have a hardshell version available if that's your "bag" baby.  

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Hardshell-Spinner-Cabin-Slate/dp/B0741KJTNV/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1512680178&sr=8-3&keywords=amazon+basics+suitcase

I am very interested in this. I love they store inside each other. But mostly I love that they are pretty inexpensive. Now if only they were decorated with seashells, light houses, and flying fish....

9 hours ago, Stephanie said:

We have 2 cruises scheduled for next year, and I want to get new luggage before then.  You have all provided some really great information, esp in regards to the battery pack thing.  It definitely was not what drew me to the bag, as I do carry portable quick chargers with me.  I just thought it was a neat feature, but I'm glad to know the airlines' aversion to them.

@DocLC - thanks, too, for the coupon code!

You're welcome. It's a win-win. I get $20 and you get $20 if you use it. :)

@monorailmedic great article and I completely agree with you. I primarily bought the Away bag for it's lifetime guarantee and durability. It also has a built in laundry bag, storage bag, etc. I consider the battery pack a plus, but it would not be the reason I would buy it again as I have several (4) external battery packs already as they're useful when camping. That said, the Away bag's battery is both removable and replaceable, whereas some bags to not have removable or replaceable batteries.

I went the indestructible route about 4 years ago by using empty Pelican cases as luggage and haven't looked back since. I've made some modifications such as the permanent nameplates and swivel wheels. The two larger ones (shown) do stow under RCL beds. This pic is from a couple years and they by no means look this nice today. 

I often kid my wife, "If we are in a plane crash; I don't know about the black box, but I'm sure they will find my luggage." And during muster drills "If we hit an iceberg I ain't wearing no life jacket, I'm just going to hug one of my suitcases and wait for the Coast Guard."

IMG_0026.JPG

Bobroo,

I recently retired after 30 years with our local fire department (not a firefighter). We used the Pelican for so many things. With firemen, they act like 3 year old boys, and purposely try to destroy every thing they can get their hands on.

I would love to have one of those Pelican's now so I could do what you did.

Candie

On 12/8/2017 at 11:35 PM, firegal2539 said:

Bobroo,

I recently retired after 30 years with our local fire department (not a firefighter). We used the Pelican for so many things. With firemen, they act like 3 year old boys, and purposely try to destroy every thing they can get their hands on.

I would love to have one of those Pelican's now so I could do what you did.

Candie

Pelican cases, and there are other similar manufacturers; is widely available and about the same price as other decent luggage. The downside is that they are heavy. Pelican has come out with a line of luggage. When I was considering my purchase the Pelican luggage line at the time was way overpriced compared to its waterproof and crushproof cousins.