Celebrity open for 2019-2020

Boston Babe

As expected, no cruises for summer of 2020, and the Jan - Apr offerings are Caribbean / Bahamas only. I have to wait another year before seeing what I can choose from for my 50th birthday.

Maybe this is a stupid question, but why are there never cruises in the Mediterranean in that Jan-April time frame (at least on X or Royal, haven't checked other lines like HAL)? It never gets cold there, so what is it that blocks sailing to Southern Spain / France, Italy, Greece, or Croatia?

1 hour ago, JLMoran said:

Maybe this is a stupid question, but why are there never cruises in the Mediterranean in that Jan-April time frame (at least on X or Royal, haven't checked other lines like HAL)? It never gets cold there, so what is it that blocks sailing to Southern Spain / France, Italy, Greece, or Croatia?

Interesting, I really don't know the answers to that. I'm determined to book the Edge though even though I will have sailed to those destinations in 2019. I believe Princess has Meditterranean.  Question, have you looked at Viking River? My neighbors are going on their 3rd and they love it. they also have half river cruises and half full ship combined. Maybe check them out too!

6 minutes ago, Boston Babe said:

Question, have you looked at Viking River? My neighbors are going on their 3rd and they love it. they also have half river cruises and half full ship combined. Maybe check them out too!

No, haven't looked at them. Pretty sure they're the line my in-laws have used for the couple of European river cruises they've done, although those were also in the warmer months IIRC.

Since I want to try and bring the kids along for that trip, I'm not sure a river cruise will be up their alley. Even less for teens to do on one of those during a "sea day" (river day?) than there is on a big ship cruise that isn't named Royal or Carnival! :7_sweat_smile: But a river cruise is certainly something I want to try at some point. Most likely after retirement, or at least after both of the kids are done with college.

2 hours ago, JLMoran said:

Since I want to try and bring the kids along for that trip

That makes sense, I didn't realize you would be bringing the kids. Wouldn't it be nice if they gave us full years instead of half to book! LOL

I just booked the Edge for April 2020.  Most ships I'm on are all older, so have to do this just once! LOL

On 12/9/2017 at 12:42 PM, Sabrinaklai said:

any info on when the summer of 2020 will open up? And what type of room did you end up booking for the Edge?

Welcome back Sabrina! Was away for the weekend, birthday celebration!  I booked the Sky Suite, S1 category.  As my planner explained, try to avoid S3 Sky Suite as the Magic carpet could at any time be obstruction your view.  I got a FABULOUS aft cabin. However, being as it's 2 years and 4 months away, I'm not getting too excited, Lord knows what could happen.

I hope you had a fabulous time!!:1_grinning: 

1 minute ago, Boston Babe said:

Welcome back Sabrina! Was away for the weekend, birthday celebration!  I booked the Sky Suite, S1 category.  As my planner explained, try to avoid S3 Sky Suite as the Magic carpet could at any time be obstruction your view.  I got a FABULOUS aft cabin. However, being as it's 2 years and 4 months away, I'm not getting too excited, Lord knows what could happen.

I hope you had a fabulous time!!:1_grinning: 

Thanks. Good tip about the Sky suites as that is what I will likely book too.  I have to wait for the summer 2020 itineraries to come out though.

22 minutes ago, Sabrinaklai said:

Thanks. Good tip about the Sky suites as that is what I will likely book too.  I have to wait for the summer 2020 itineraries to come out though.

I'll check with Peter today, I would imagine by March this year wouldn't you think? Yes, I was glad he told me that. It's interesting, they have 3 different categories with Sky Suites on the Edge, s1,s2 and s3 all being different pricing.  That's the first thing he said to me when he I told him I was going to book the Edge.

On 12/5/2017 at 11:58 AM, Boston Babe said:

Interesting, I really don't know the answers to that. I'm determined to book the Edge though even though I will have sailed to those destinations in 2019. I believe Princess has Meditterranean.  Question, have you looked at Viking River? My neighbors are going on their 3rd and they love it. they also have half river cruises and half full ship combined. Maybe check them out too!

I'm going on my first Viking river cruise this summer (and first trip to Europe! ).  We are planning a Mediterranean cruise for summer 2019 and are going to go rc, in part for the 16 year old who would hate the river cruise I think.   She will be much happier on a bigger ship (even if it's the tiny vision) Jane