Sports on TV?

Bazza

Hello all

Anybody know if the ship is likely to be screening live sports events? Whilst I am on Ovation in March/April there is the latter part of the English soccer season, The Masters golf as well as the 6 nations rugby union championship - some of them I may be able to stream via Voom but hoping that somewhere on the ship they may actually screen them?

Thanks

Barrie

Usually a limited selection of live sports ... Q class may be different with the "high tech" nature but most ships have one sports channel playing and it just depends what event they are showing.

For a "major" event you may be able to get them to override the planned programming and purchase something specific (happened a couple years ago with Thanksgiving football ... the ship wasn't planning to show any of the games, the crowd of angry football fans convinced them this might not be a good plan).

14 hours ago, Bazza said:

Hello all

Anybody know if the ship is likely to be screening live sports events? Whilst I am on Ovation in March/April there is the latter part of the English soccer season, The Masters golf as well as the 6 nations rugby union championship - some of them I may be able to stream via Voom but hoping that somewhere on the ship they may actually screen them?

Thanks

Barrie

When I was on the Oasis of the Seas last April, they had the Masters playing.  If you have purchased the VOOM package, I would stream it.  My wife and I streamed the Toronto Raptors games while on the ship.  

11 hours ago, tiny260 said:

To much talk about TV watching, not enough talk about cruising and relaxing by the pool.

TV screen by the pool - no harm in that!!! :-)

Although the time difference for the sports I want to be watching it will be too cold and dark to relax by the pool!!!

9 hours ago, twangster said:

I've been looking at an Ovation cruise.  I imagine it's different satellites for that region.  Sadly thete isn't a lot of info from past cruisers.  If you could update the message board after your cruise that would be great!

Will do. Hopefully I will be able to provide some answers and not just ask the questions!

15 hours ago, Scatmanjack said:

Stanley Cup Finals were nowhere to be found on Liberty of the Seas in June 2017... (Fox had USA Broadcast rights if I remember...)

While in North American waters RCI ships have two feeds of ESPN International.  They can't just flip a switch and 'steal' content from another provider.  ESPN International does have different programming compared to ESPN USA but if they don't have the rights to show an event such as the Cup, they can't.  

The league controls who can display their events.  In many cases these businesses (NFL, NHL, Masters, etc) are trying to drive revenue from online streaming services for International customers so the league themselves may prevent a satellite provider from carrying games.  Blame the league, not the ship.

On 4-12-2017 at 9:52 AM, Bazza said:

Hello all

Thanks

Barrie

keep in mind that most providers block regular (soccer) streams from an other country. due to lincences so that is worth checking out. you can bypass that but takes some technical /it knowledge. 

3 hours ago, joost said:

keep in mind that most providers block regular (soccer) streams from an other country. due to lincences so that is worth checking out. you can bypass that but takes some technical /it knowledge. 

Reddit is a great resource for our Raptors streams during our cruise.  Our SN app did not work outside of Canada.....

if tou want to use own apps,from home provider you need to trick it. im personally not a fan of the free streams specially on high de,and games since they have issues. but i got a vpn to trick my provider for other purposes anyway so i should be good. 

• 1 year later...

At first I thought this was an old thread that had popped back up for some reason.  Looks like it has some value for new information.  We were on another cruise line in the Caribbean last year and their daily program had the Stanley Cup (if available) noted but they were never able to get the couple of games during our cruise.  They did get the NBA playoffs during the same cruise so it just depends.

Follow up question, we’ll be sailing Alaska in a month so is it any more or less likely than the Caribbean that they will show the NHL and/or the NBA playoffs?

51 minutes ago, ScooterScott22 said:

At first I thought this was an old thread that had popped back up for some reason.  Looks like it has some value for new information.  We were on another cruise line in the Caribbean last year and their daily program had the Stanley Cup (if available) noted but they were never able to get the couple of games during our cruise.  They did get the NBA playoffs during the same cruise so it just depends.

Follow up question, we’ll be sailing Alaska in a month so is it any more or less likely than the Caribbean that they will show the NHL and/or the NBA playoffs?

The same provider and same channels are offered while in Alaska with the caveat that satellite coverage is fringe up there.  There will be times that Voom and TV services will be unavailable.  

The angle to the satellites is very low so there are times depending on heading where the ship blocks the antenna from seeing the satellite or in places like Endicott Arm the surrounding mountains in close proximity block the satellite.  

O3b satellites for Voom work best below 50° latitude and the area beyond that is considered "limited services".   The ship will switch over to conventional services that other ships use in Alaska.  This will be the first time an 03b capable ship has gone to Alaska so we'll have to see how Voom works out.

939084597_O3Blimitedservices.jpeg.9959a2f0921f66b53bae2479faf7e5e5.jpeg

• 1 month later...
On 4/11/2019 at 9:15 AM, ajschraff said:

I'm going on Harmony next week during the NHL playoffs, any chance they have NBCSN or CBC showing anywhere?

Did you have any luck finding the NHL playoffs? I’m going on the harmony next week and hoping to find the games on the ship.