Seasickness to Tulum ruins?

Loriann

I've made the ferry trip to and from Cancun/Cozumel a few times. Problem is, seats by the window are few and go quick. So, you're sitting in the middle of the ferry, in a crowd and it can get pretty rough making the crossing. If it's a calm day, no problemo. If it's a choppy/rough day, muy sicko. :27_sunglasses:

Full disclosure: I've never taken the ferry personally

However, I have heard enough negative stories about the ferry to have purposefully avoided it for that very reason.

I can't say for certain, but I would think you would be best served going into it with a plan.  First, I'd wait until the day of Cozumel to book.  See what the channel looks like.  If it's choppy and/or very windy, I wouldn't go.  Second, regardless of weather, if you do go, I'd take over the counter seasick medication, such as Bonine

6 hours ago, Loriann said:

We are sailing on the Allure of the Seas in Feb, and the Tulum ruins sounds beautiful. But the reviews consistently mention seasickness on the ferry ride. Is this really a significant issue? I would hate to ruin a fun day :2_grimacing:

Loriann,

Here's another consideration to take into account, how long will the Allure be in port and how long the excursion will be. Depending on the tides, currents and winds, the ferry ride can take 45 minutes up to 1.5 hours. The ferry goes into Playa Del Carmen (PDC) and PDC is about an hour from the ruins. Sometimes, the excursion tour bus will stop along the way at resorts to pick up additional customers, which will add time. As you can see,  just getting to and from Tulum can take up to 5/6 hours. Add the time at Tulum and you may be cutting it close. 

By the way, welcome aboard, feel free to ask as many questions as you like. You will find a wealth of information here from many seasoned/sun tanned Royal Caribbean cruisers!:27_sunglasses:

5 hours ago, rjac said:

Loriann,

Here's another consideration to take into account, how long will the Allure be in port and how long the excursion will be. Depending on the tides, currents and winds, the ferry ride can take 45 minutes up to 1.5 hours. The ferry goes into Playa Del Carmen (PDC) and PDC is about an hour from the ruins. Sometimes, the excursion tour bus will stop along the way at resorts to pick up additional customers, which will add time. As you can see,  just getting to and from Tulum can take up to 5/6 hours. Add the time at Tulum and you may be cutting it close. 

By the way, welcome aboard, feel free to ask as many questions as you like. You will find a wealth of information here from many seasoned/sun tanned Royal Caribbean cruisers!:27_sunglasses:

Thanks everyone! Rjac, we are scheduled to be in port from 8am-7pm, and the excursion is 8 hours. I didn't realize the bus could stop at other spots to pick up passengers, or that the seas could make the ferry ride longer. All great info that I can take into account!

7 hours ago, Matt said:

Full disclosure: I've never taken the ferry personally

However, I have heard enough negative stories about the ferry to have purposefully avoided it for that very reason.

I can't say for certain, but I would think you would be best served going into it with a plan.  First, I'd wait until the day of Cozumel to book.  See what the channel looks like.  If it's choppy and/or very windy, I wouldn't go.  Second, regardless of weather, if you do go, I'd take over the counter seasick medication, such as Bonine

Great advice Matt! See the conditions the morning of and then make a decision. Can you book same day? I didn't know if there would be enough time before the ferry left.

On 12/2/2017 at 10:32 PM, Loriann said:

Great advice Matt! See the conditions the morning of and then make a decision. Can you book same day? I didn't know if there would be enough time before the ferry left.

For most excursions yes, and especially if you elect to book on your own.  Of course, you run the risk of something selling out, but those excursions tend to be pretty high capacity.

The idea to wait to book until the day before Cozumel brings up whether or not an excursion is cancellable on board. I assume it isn't. Can anyone clarify? I booked it during the cyber Monday deal for a January trip, and saved about $30 per person.

I keep considering cancelling and just going to Nachi instead, but I really want to see this site at some point soon. If each ship in port that day is full there will be about 20,000 people around.

1 hour ago, spiegeje -- DunkelBier_Jay said:

The idea to wait to book until the day before Cozumel brings up whether or not an excursion is cancellable on board. I assume it isn't. Can anyone clarify? I booked it during the cyber Monday deal for a January trip, and saved about $30 per person.

You may can cancel up to 48 hours before the excursion: https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2017/06/13/royal-caribbean-changes-shore-excursions-cancellation-policy

• 2 months later...

I hear they provide bags for people who are sick so it must be quite frequent.  If you search YouTube, there's a channel (Jemsessionz), they did a vlog on Harmony of the Seas last April.  If you look for their video of the Cozumel day, they took this excursion and showed the ride there.  That will give you an idea.  People did get sick.