Disappointed by Dynamic Dining

Cleo

I was opened minded to Dynamic Dining but as it turns out we don't like it.  The problem for us was lack of variety. 

We will not go on another ship with Dynamic Dining.  They are changing over Oasis class ships to be Dynamic Dining - what a shame. 

Our cruise was 8 nights and there are four restaurants.  If menu selection was like a typical restaurant with a lot of variety that would be fine, but the menu is really limited and does not change.

We did not care for American Icon Grill.  

Chic has a really good Prime Rib - they call it Roasted Rib Eye.  Their Potato Crusted Cod was literally laughed at and called fish sticks by people - not bad tasting but really looked like two Mrs Pauls Fish Sticks.  Vegetable portion sizes are more like a garnish than a side dish.

Silk was fine, nothing special but we enjoyed our food.

Grand was very good but we would rather not take formal clothing with us.  Formal night is typically when we go to Chops.

We really enjoyed Two70 for lunches. 

Jamie's Italian got great comments from people but we did not go.  The menu on the TV in our cabin said there were two choices for steak, but when we went to make a reservation at the restaurant there was no steak on the menu.  It was replaced with Lamb.

Chops was very good. 

Thanks for the review.  So essentially you disliked DD because of the lack of food variety?  There's no question DD is a push to get people to dine in the specialty restaurants.

Was Windjammer not a dinner option you wanted?  I know some people want a sit down experience.

Matt did you really just ask if Windjammer as a dinner option was not something people wanted as part of the DD experience?

I actually do like Windjammer and on one cruise ate there almost exclusively but being pushed to specialty restaurants or Windjammer as the only options is probably one of my major concerns with DD.

Matt did you really just ask if Windjammer as a dinner option was not something people wanted as part of the DD experience?

I actually do like Windjammer and on one cruise ate there almost exclusively but being pushed to specialty restaurants or Windjammer as the only options is probably one of my major concerns with DD.

We always go to Windjammer to get my daughter dinner before we'd go to dinner and I'll tell you there were a few nights I wish we just ate at the Windjammer because their food selection looked better than MDR.

If you gave RC brass truth serum, I have no doubt one of the big selling points of DD to RC was the fact on 7+ night cruises it will encourage people to try specialty dining if you want a sit down meal for dinner each night.  

I don't think Windjammer is a bad choice by any means and on days when you are in port and get back late, eating at the Windjammer may be a simpler option.  

I do not consider Windjammer as a dining option for dinner.  Great for breakfast and lunch.

I do want to be served for dinner.

Another observation with Dynamic Dining is that there are no Assistant Waiters so the Waiter does everything.  Result is everything takes longer to get.

Another observation with Dynamic Dining is that there are no Assistant Waiters so the Waiter does everything.  Result is everything takes longer to get.

In the MDR the assistant waiter only ever brought drinks and bread.  

I posted this in another thread but I also think part of your experience depends on what time your reservation is at.  It seems earlier dining times get the "dinner rush" more than dinner times after 8pm.