Anthem 11/25/17 - 7+12 B2B

twangster

2 minutes ago, Matt said:

Not sure if you knew this, but you can exchange WOWbands for a new one on subsequent sailings.  So as long as you bring it with you, you can exchange at guest services for no additional cost.

I had heard that but sadly not any more.  I brought an E1 Wow band with me that they refused to exchange.  If I was in an E1 muster cabin I would be okay, but since I am in E2 muster cabins I had to buy one.  Your choices are re-code an existing Wow band if it has the correct muster station printed on it OR buy a new one.

I suppose you can try to doctor a Wow band to make it look like the current muster station and then they might re-code it.  

25 minutes ago, twangster said:

I had heard that but sadly not any more.  I brought an E1 Wow band with me that they refused to exchange.  If I was in an E1 muster cabin I would be okay, but since I am in E2 muster cabins I had to buy one.  Your choices are re-code an existing Wow band if it has the correct muster station printed on it OR buy a new one.

I suppose you can try to doctor a Wow band to make it look like the current muster station and then they might re-code it.  

Hmm, based on my experience I'd have to say that crew member is misinformed.  I've gone on Anthem, Quantum and Harmony often enough to have them exchanged without issue. While it's possible they updated the rule, my gut tells me I'm hungry that crew member isn't aware of the option.  I'd have either asked to speak to a manager or come back later to speak to someone else.

In my quest to capture the best Northstar image I could I've come to realize that my big DSLR with it's enormous bulbous ultra wide lens is more of a liability in Northstar.  The curved glass of the gondola reflects so much that a small lens is actually better.  A nice small lens such as the one on an iPhone 7 Plus is ideal because you can get it closer to the windows in Northstar and since it's tiny compared to my big UWA DSLR lens it doesn't capture so much reflection.

Promise - last Northstar photo.  This one is a vertical panorama   With the sun directly in front of the ship you see the shadow of Northstar on the pool deck.

m2JRZF8.jpg

4 minutes ago, twangster said:

In my quest to capture the best Northstar image I could I've come to realize that my big DSLR with it's enormous bulbous ultra wide lens is more of a liability in Northstar.  The curved glass of the gondola reflects so much that a small lens is actually better.  A nice small lens such as the one on an iPhone 7 Plus is ideal because you can get it closer to the windows in Northstar and since it's tiny compared to my big UWA DSLR lens it doesn't capture so much reflection.

Promise - last Northstar photo.  This one is a vertical panorama   With the sun directly in front of the ship you see the shadow of Northstar on the pool deck.

5a2593b8a36ad_Anthem2Day3NStar-1.thumb.jpg.d324a04fc5c2d9223418ae13bfb5b333.jpg

Magnifique !

1 hour ago, twangster said:

5a2593b8a36ad_Anthem2Day3NStar-1.thumb.jpg.d324a04fc5c2d9223418ae13bfb5b333.jpg

@Matt, c'mon, where's that LOVE reaction option? "Like" just isn't enough! :17_heart_eyes:

Let's talk about Two70°.  This is a venue unlike anything I've seen on a ship before. 

I've included pictures in previous posts from some of the shows and events in Two70°.  When it isn't being used for a show, its a multipurpose room with amazing views aft.

RXg2TED.jpg

It has its own bar.

ubVUby1.jpg

2SZ64RC.jpg

o5ZoVJP.jpg

Behind the stage guests are welcome to explore the sitting areas next to the panoramic windows. A wheelchair ramp ensures this area is accessible.

o9MMWBX.jpg

HFLQnel.jpg

During the day the stage lifts are covered in plants to create an earthy balance.  These are removed during events and the lifts raise and lower performers. The circular portals on the roof are also used during events to raise and lower performers. 

DLwfqqW.jpg

The stage areas have unique shapes and sections that independently raise and lower allowing for a very dynamic entertainment experience.

h1fxhvp.jpg

q1UBvFy.jpg

On each side of Two70° are additional seating areas with great views to the side as well.

XGREIk4.jpg

JB0EbdD.jpg

Upstairs are additional seatings areas.

gF2yuMH.jpg

TR3VZIv.jpg

The center of the upstairs balcony is reserved for Sky/Star Class and Pinnacle during events.

There is also general seating anyone can use found upstairs.

WETTOVM.jpg

oENNuED.jpg

Upstairs within Two70° on the port side is a Library with a small computer lab with printer.

555zrXE.jpg

fSXeIeq.jpg

r1kOeJ4.jpg

Connected to Two70° is café270.  I'll cover it in another post.  Suffice it to say grabbing a Kummel Weck and eating it in Two70° has become a daily ritual.  It's also a pretty great place to have a glass of wine and watch an afternoon sea day flow past.  

V30NAfB.jpg

It really is an awesome venue and it's generally available for public access except during certain events such as Spectra's Cabaret which requires reservations.

Top Tier Event was in the Royal Theater today.

XshojwG.jpg

There are 3,025 C&A members on board a guest population of 4.300.

2,000 top tier (Plat or higher).  I think this is why we were in the Theater as opposed to Two70° like on the last cruise.

640 Platinum, 339 Emerald, 643 Diamond, 345 Diamond Plus, 30 Pinnacle.

85 Glass Blocks being handed out on this sailing.

Top cruiser has 1,914 C&A points.

1 new Pinnacle was crowned.  Actually two new pinnacle.  Tommy the other new Pinnacle is a dog.  His owner made Pinnacle so the ship had certificates for both.  He was on the last cruise with me and I met him going through the B2B customs process.  Even the local USCIS Customs officials knew Tommy the dog by name.   He is a regular cruiser on Anthem.

With over 1,000 Diamond or above I can see why they have been overflowing the Diamond Lounge into the Music Hall each night, consuming most of the upper level of the Music Hall. 

GREAT stuff you're posting! It still amazes me how you can get such great photos without the sun screened ,beer swigging, tropical drink with tiny umbrella drinking , snack eating cruisers included....and that's just the diamond and above folks I'm talking about!:3_grin:

2 hours ago, rjac said:

GREAT stuff you're posting! It still amazes me how you can get such great photos without the sun screened ,beer swigging, tropical drink with tiny umbrella drinking , snack eating cruisers included....and that's just the diamond and above folks I'm talking about!:3_grin:

"...beer swigging, tropical drink with tiny umbrella drinking , snack eating cruisers..." - I don't take selfies.  

Oh, others... I photoshop them out.  That strategy didn't help me get a seat in the overflow Diamond area tonight but on the flip side I met a nice couple and we exchanged cruise stories while standing at the bar.

This morning at 2am we set our clocks forward one hour so the ship will be on island time.  I didn't stay up for the event.

San Juan, St Thomas and many Eastern Caribbean nations do not observe daylight savings time and never 'spring forward' or 'fall back'.  This confuses many people who assume they are in the Eastern time zone based on summer cruises which isn't accurate.  These islands are actually in the Atlantic time zone.  

They printed the time change on the front page of the Cruise Compass on day 3.  Yesterday at breakfast I had some older folks approach me asking me what time it is.  They saw the day 3 CC in their cabin on night 2 and changed their clocks one day early.  This explains why their friends were late for breakfast they told me.  

The Captain promised to give us the one hour he has 'stolen' back to us on our return to Bayonne.

A few words about the virtual balcony.

This is my first experience with a virtual balcony.  I like it.  Sitting at the desk the virtual balcony is framed perfectly in the mirror.  

fa86Le3.jpg

It is not an alternative to an actual balcony cabin.  Given the situation and the price point you can afford a balcony cabin will always be a first choice (ignoring suites for the moment).  

For the most part though when I cruise solo I often cruise with an inside cabin because its just me.  I don't need a lot of space and I'd rather put the savings in dining, beverages or excursions.   Grandeur, Freedom and Indy are good examples where it was or will be an inside cabin for me.

When I booked the Alaska Group Cruise I was thinking inside cabins.  I've been to Alaska with a suite that had a large balcony.  Sure it was nice but I didn't use it that much (it's cold out there) and I spent a lot of time outside of my cabin.  For the Alaska GC I am planning a healthy excursion budget.  That's a key to a great Alaska experience.  I'd rather divert money into excursions.  This past June I took a $350 helicopter ride and walked on a glacier - amazing! 

For the Alaska GC the price difference between inside and inside virtual balcony was minimal and I'll spend most of my time elsewhere on the ship so for the small difference a virtual balcony is perfect relative to a standard inside cabin.  

gLUVrjO.jpg

The display works quite well and last night I enjoyed seeing the sunset on it.

I will say though it is backwards for my cabin.  I shouldn't have seen the sunset last night since I am on port side of center.  The head of my bed is aft but unless the Captain is backing the ship up all the way to San Juan, the motion I see is reversed given the starboard side camera they must be using as evidenced by the sunset on the starboard side last night.  Standing in my cabin facing the bed while watching the display you would think that I am facing the bow given the motion of the water displayed yet I know that I am facing aft.  It doesn't bother me in terms of motion, it's just something I noticed.

I'll continue to watch prices but for the moment the savings on the Alaska GC between balcony and Virtual Balcony is around $750 per person which goes a long way to paying for some of the best excursions.  The extra $50 I spent to upgrade from inside to inside VB is well worth it for me.

1 hour ago, twangster said:

It is not an alternative to an actual balcony cabin.  Given the situation and the price point you can afford a balcony cabin will always be a first choice (ignoring suites for the moment).

That's right.  Virtual balcony rooms are an alternative to standard inside cabins, not a replacement for real balconies. And I love a virtual balcony instead of four walls and no view.

Not very happy with Next Cruise Desk on board.  A 12 Night cruise in a balcony is supposed to net you $200 OBC on top of any standard OBC being offered but they are sticking to the $100 OBC they gave me. 

EDIT - turns out this is the downside of booking using the C&A balcony discounts.  It's unfortunate they suggested I would get more OBC but in the end those are the rules as you can't combine the regular OBC and the C&A balcony discounts.

Sorry to hear you had a negative experience with NextCruise.

NextCruise used to be a must-do for everyone, but the company's success has resulted in less incentive to offer benefits via NextCruise.  Of course, the conflicting messaging has no excuse, as it should be consistent across the board.

You may consider telling the Loyalty Ambassador onboard about your experience.  Probably won't do anything, but I'd at least feel better about it.

Many years ago I remember booking a B2B cruise with the on board C&A representative. Got a great room (aft cabin) on the Serenade. I guess the C&A folks do not do on board bookings anymore. Last year on the Allure we chatted with the NextCruise folks, kind of felt like a time share sales pitch. Anyway we booked and when we got home I price checked through my travel folks where I found a much better deal. So I cancelled with RC and went with my TA. 

Day 4 - San Juan, Scheduled Arrival 3pm 

As we approached San Juan our sunny day ended and it became apparent we would have some liquid sunshine, emphasis on liquid, to contend with.

eCEkdUs.jpg

We docked near the Sheraton in Old San Juan. Skies began to look better but radar showed another line or two approaching from the East.

vxsvxBn.jpg

ADnL2Xg.jpg

After a few false starts to avoid getting drenched I finally ventured out.  

QgIOnra.jpg

San Juan is doing much better than much of Puerto Rico.  On the surface it doesn't look much different compared to previous visits.

There were street performers waiting to greet us. 

9aSLlqw.jpg

I've eaten here before but was looking for something a little less corporate to visit tonight.

NeOSZpk.jpg

I ended up at Tijuana's bar and grill.  This is very close to the ship pier on this side of the harbor and I've walked past it many times before.

K9wQyum.jpg

Today is the first day they have opened since Hurricane Maria.  They have a limited menu right now and are cash only but I'm glad I stopped by.

Beer and a burrito sounded pretty good to me with great views. 

qeEGbRs.jpg

The bill came to around $18.  I left them $40.

After this I wandered down the shore along the edge of the fort walls that used to protect the city in the days of old.

VY1b0i8.jpg

Another wave of rain moved through but it was light and refreshing.  They have festive lights set up.  San Juan is back and is ready to greet you. The rain soaked streets increased the contrast and made it especially pretty tonight.

7U1HHxb.jpg

wOPqrIq.jpg

I made it down to the fountain I've visited before but lighting wasn't very good tonight and some more rain was moving in so I doubled back to a restaurant and bar I passed along the way.

C7QPrez.jpg

The Princesa Gastro Bar has the "It's Rum Time" sign that you'll see around San Juan.  On the outside it's a small bar but I was I glad I stopped by.

GG1nZo7.jpg

43AVtoG.jpg

S7MqgQv.jpg

I talked to 'Angel' the bar keeper and he eagerly explained the island rum he had available.  It's quite a selection.  He arranged it compared to popular liquor such as Scotch, Bourbon and Vodka.  He explained that if someone likes a certain type of Scotch, they might like this type of rum and so on.  He was very passionate and he invited me into his bar.   

40acqp9.jpg

ZfBEtUd.jpg

After discussing my likes and dislikes he recommend a couple for me to try.   He then presented them to me, complete with bottles to review as I sampled them.

0SQAV49.jpg

I was impressed.  As a frequent Scotch drinker I appreciated the flavors and differences between the samples that I would not have noticed had I not discussed them with him.  Despite being a small looking bar, it's packed with some great island rum and other liquor if you just don't like rum  (Scotch, Vodka, Gin, wine, etc). 

This might not be the kind of place to seek a rum punch or frozen something but there is no doubt Angel could probably come up with something for you.

The ambiance in the shadow of the old fort wall combined with the restaurant next door is quite nice.

lHPvKUv.jpg

I won't say the ridiculous price he tried to charge me.  I had to do a double take with my old eyes but I tripled it in cash.

C4xSOwJ.jpg

They say the trick to navigating is always look for the North star as it shines brightest in the sky.  This wasn't lost on me as I made my way home to Anthem in light rain with a belly full of rum.

1wFNEVr.jpg

TFraqZs.jpg

fn4YuTv.jpg

rSnf1F4.jpg

dQWakDo.jpg

nhQzXSS.jpg

8TTyfSo.jpg

Back on board I settled down in Vintages to write and post this. There's no place like home.

I was hoping for not just an adventure in San Juan but I also wanted to contribute to the local economy as they need our tourist dollars in the long road to recovery.  It's wasn't what I had in my mind but I'm quite pleased how it played out.

I went into the Walgreens to pickup a few things I forgot to pack.  I used my credit card.  My time in old San Juan all seemed very normal except the restaurants and bars were lightly occupied.  They need tourists to return.  Absent of money coming in some of these businesses will be forced to close if tourists don't return.

If anyone is concerned about booking a cruise with a call on San Juan, don't be.  Book it.

Day 5 - St Thomas

I woke up early to make sure I could watch our approach before our pier arrival.  I was happy to see much of this side of the island with power.  

8rtIf9n.jpg

The main power generating plant is not far from Crown Bay so it's no surprise the South East of the island was first to get power back.  

A line of showers moved through sending me into the Solarium but soon after we were treated to a nice sunrise as we approached the harbor.  This is one of the bridge wings on Anthem (the port wing has been closed for both sailings). 

AI4H6r9.jpg

Today we would be docking at the West Indies pier or what many refer to as Havensight.  

I wanted to wait for the sun to rise a little higher for it to set off the color in the water so I went off to the Solarium Bistro for breakfast.  As it turns out this early morning photo with the blue sky day would be one of the best of this area of the island.  The blue sky wouldn't last all day.

Zv98XmX.jpg

The Captain mentioned increasing chances for rain so I decided to head to Magens Bay for some pictures while the weather was good.  This photo was taken shortly after leaving the Havensight Mall area.

sn9X4Ce.jpg

I took a 'Safari' taxi for $8 and joined 10 other shipmates on our way to the beach.  On the ride out of town I looked over and saw Oasis docked in Crown Bay.

That is Anthem far left and Oasis far right.

hAk6b8Z.jpg

I had asked our driver if he could stop by Drake's Seat and he did.  This is the spot to get a great overview picture of Magens Bay Beach.

0Tdl6Cf.jpg

78vKiur.jpg

As we approached Magens Bay you could see large areas of forest that had been damaged by the hurricanes.  In the past this was dense and you couldn't see much of anything when you looked into the forest.  Now you could see many trees down, many with no tops and most with no foliage.  

Magens Bay is a preserve managed by the local USVI government and has a $5 per person entrance fee.  We paid at the gate.  Our driver then took us to the South end of the beach where they had set up a temporary bar, grill and beach shop while the centrally located building that used to house them is being rebuilt. It's cash only right now.  I tipped well and I hope you do too.

CiQHKCi.jpg

BmGxOAw.jpg

GFfx1TO.jpg

Chairs and umbrellas can also be rented here.  Otherwise it's a ship towel on the sand - don't forget one.  There are showers and a foot wash area as well as restrooms all working fine on this occasion.

Ue6zFtR.jpg

Magens Bay Beach remains as beautiful as ever.

As I took this photo, Beatles Abbey Road popped into my head...

0tAWXFJ.jpg

I was curious what the efforts were to repair the beach.  Royal Caribbean partnered with the local USVI authority that operates the park to restore it.  Beyond the obvious structures that were damaged and are being rebuilt,  you can see there are hundreds of new trees that have been planted recently each with temporary braces until they take root.  

ZEy7WwZ.jpg

This is the activity to rebuild the central bar, grill and gift store building.  It's looking close to completion.  Maybe another few weeks?   Hard to tell in the islands...

FVxFUV4.jpg

wNDDVI3.jpg

aDv1HGe.jpg

j5aSqjJ.jpg

I wanted to stop by Charlotte Amalie for lunch so at this point I headed to the taxi stand to get a ride back into town.  Dark clouds were starting to move in and I sensed rain was coming and boy did it.   Safely in our Safari taxi me and a couple from Oasis watched the downpour as we made our way back into town.  There is an overlook with great views of the harbor but a traffic accident had closed that road and with the heavy rain it made no sense to try.  For each of these $8 ride I gave our drivers a $20 - they need the money.

Fortunately the rain stopped just as the driver dropped me off in Charlotte Amalie.  

Lunch today was at a favorite restaurant of mine 'The Green House' with views of the harbor.  

Mphy2jL.jpg

52moqWA.jpg

4Te83Rq.jpg

I was happy to see the "Blackened Mahi Caesar Salad" was still on the menu.  
On my first trip to St Thomas I found this restaurant and since then the Mahi salad has become a ritual meal.

eABZ33y.jpg

A Bushwhacker and a beer rounded off lunch. 

With another line of showers coming this way I found another Safari taxi for the ride back to the ship.  

The stores in the Havensight Mall were all open and people were eagerly shopping. 

BlkkvXX.jpg

Back on board I jumped in the shower and made plans to take a nap.

Summary of my day on St. Thomas and some thoughts.

Some of the pictures I decided to include to illustrate how far the flora and fauna on St Thomas has come.  Talking with my friends who live here they told me in the days after the hurricane everything was brown.  There was no green anywhere.  It was very depressing.  Even they are amazed how quickly green has returned.  That in no small way is helping everyone get through this.  Life is normal one told me (even though he doesn't have power back just yet).

From a distance St Thomas looks like it always has but you don't have to look very far to see signs of hurricane damage.  Some people may never rebuild.  It was like this when I lived here and I recall stories of "that was from hurricane ..." when I saw a broken down building.  I imagine there will be similar stories years from now.

When the ship arrived I saw lines of utility trucks leaving their staging area near the West Indies pier.   At lunch I saw a truck pulling a trailer full of pole transformers drive by.   Maybe tomorrow my friend will get power back.

This morning I observed a cargo ship carrying dozens of luxury yachts enter the harbor behind us.  This is a thing.  People ship their luxury yachts and fly in to use them as a base to explore from.  Oh the lives of the rich and famous.  However it shows you even they are returning.  

I tipped a LOT more than I have in the past but they have been without income for way too long.  

St Thomas is back and there is no reason to avoid coming here.

A few more St Thomas photos from my phone.

It was raining as our Safari taxi arrived downtown in Charlotte Amalie.  With that my 'good' camera was put away and I used my phone to capture the main shopping street.  If anyone has been here before you know this street well.  It's why St Thomas is known as the place to shop for duty free.

MMlcUXE.jpg

lQzdC5Q.jpg

nWnshpY.jpg

p06HYpM.jpg

If using no other means, there is no better way to say that an island is officially ready for tourists than when the duty free stores are open and waiting for you!

Dinner last night was in the My Time MDR.  New section tonight.

OCCq3n7.jpg

The Pan Seared Duck Breast was very good.  Service was very good tonight and fast.  Satish and Imade were right on top of things.  Oddly my head waiter from my last visit saw me and also stopped by several times such as asking for my dinner order even though Imade had just taken it.  It almost became territorial so Satish and Imade stepped up their game.  Awkward, but quite amusing to experience.  I felt like a celebrity.

@twangster could you do a favor for me?  If you find yourself in the Schooner Bar, can you ask for the recipe for the lavender daiquiri?   I tried to make it at home and it's just not the same.  I know what the menu says is in it, which is lavender syrup and rum.  But I don't know the proportions.  All the recipes I find online include lime juice, and I tried it both with and without and neither are close.  I did make my own lavender syrup, which may be part of the difference, but I'd like to try to replicate it closer to the original.  Thanks! 

Day 6 - Martinique

Our weather patterns with periods of sun and lines of showers moving through continued today.  Such is the Caribbean.

AkBU21s.jpg

8UHAHbe.jpg

gIA36Vz.jpg

rZhttTQ.jpg

This is my first stop at Martinique.  It's quite developed.  There is a small public beach (no facilities) within walking distance of the ship but the real beaches are a ferry ride away.  

46cKq9G.jpg

The town is setting up for some seasonal festivities along the water front.  Martinique is French and uses Euros.  

2jq0IC1.jpg

The beach ferry is a short walk from the ship.

R2Q6KwB.jpg

With the threat of rain looming I decided not to head to the beaches but planned to check out Fort Saint-Louis.

cMv0Y9g.jpg

Unfortunately it was closed today, so I walked around town.  It has much more of a European ambiance compared to many Caribbean islands.

Z49trVn.jpg

ZGRj3oF.jpg

aEWr8NN.jpg

GnqETCJ.jpg

kHXFPNF.jpg

It was very humid and I was drenched so with rain clouds moving in I headed back to the ship.

TOx0NBa.jpg

Traveling solo I am less inclined to go sit on a beach for a day and I had toyed with a helicopter excursion over to the Monserrat volcano but with the weather as it was I just self explored on this trip, but I'll be back as it is quite nice here. 

2 hours ago, twangster said:

Leaving St. Thomas I managed to get a picture of Oasis over in Crown Bay.  Beside her is a ship contracted by FEMA to house relief workers brought to the island to continue the restoration efforts.

5a2a7e9ab6a1b_Anthem2Day5Oasis-1.jpg.296857c0d50c77827f73eb00a0fe8a1b.jpg

Doesn't it look like the O is about to topple over ?  I don't know how the O class ships keep from capsizing....they look soooo top heavy !  I'm sure the weight in the bowels are more than sufficient but they always look so top heavy, to me.

3 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Doesn't it look like the O is about to topple over ?  I don't know how the O class ships keep from capsizing....they look soooo top heavy !  I'm sure the weight in the bowels are more than sufficient but they always look so top heavy, to me.

There is a lot of engineering and planning of weight distribution.  Even the materials used on higher decks is planned very carefully.  I suspect this contributed to removing the solarium pool on Harmony in light of other additions like the water slides up high on the pool deck.  Water is very heavy.