Delaying of Dynamic Dining on Oasis and Allure

I'm actually looking forward to trying Dynamic Dining on the Allure if it's implemented by our 2017 sailing.  While the idea is not popular among most of the seasoned cruisers, we have to remember that 75% of the public has not cruised.  As a result, a lot of these changes are predicated on the fact that it will likely draw new cruises into the market.  Although not a direct benefit to us, we wouldn't have the ships that we have today if it wasn't for this drive to attract new customers nor would we have the caliber of shows onboard that we have today.

Do you understand it as: if you are already booked as "My TIme Dining" they will roll you straight into "Dynamic Dining"? Early=Classic1 and Main=Classic2?

I'm not certain how they will transition everyone once the change happens.  I would think MTD would go to Dynamic Dining Choice since they are essentially the same basic concept.

I'm pretty sure Dynamic Dining will remain Dynamic Dining (all choice/all reservations on your own) and Classic dining (1&2) will replace both MTD and Early/Late seating Classic. I mean, once this monstrosity is fully implemented....where would you go ? There won't be any MDR anymore so both the early/late and MTD will be moot won't they ?

It is my understanding that Classic will be a structured "2 Laps" around the three restaurants that were the MDR.  The menu will change at each restaurant at the halfway point on a week long cruise to keep the experience fresh.  Your dinner party and wait staff will remain the same but location changes i.e. Disney.

As much as I appreciate Royal's attempt to satisfy all cruisers, it seems like classic could potentially lead to over staffing of restaurants if/when those diners choose to eat elsewhere and the table sits empty. While I realize this occurs to some extent now, my thinking is that it might become more common under the new system.

• 2 weeks later...

bdchili, when you say, "...the menu will change at each restaurant at the halfway point..." what do you mean ? Do you think that the menu itself will actually change ? I don't see how that would be practical given that all of the other people eating at that restaurant (the actual Dynamic Diners) would have the same old static menu that they always have. Do you really think that the Classic "wandering troupe" - those changing venues every night for 7 days - will actually have a different menu than the other diners at that same restaurant ? I don't see how.

As for Doc's comment I think there are always going to be "stragglers" that don't have a reservation anywhere or want to change their reservation somehow that will just show up at the restaurants at any given time looking for something to eat and that will solve any over-staffing issues. That is basically what happens now with the MTD "no reservations" line. From so much of the feedback that I have heard re: DD, it is very difficult to get/change reservations once you get onboard (if you have not made them beforehand online) so there are always going to be people trying to just get "walk-in" tables.

When DD was being discussed for Oasis/Allure it was indicated that the menus at all the restaurants would change mid-cruise. It was never really clear whether that would also apply to the Quantum ships since they had more restaurant options so "boredom" might not have been as much of an issue.

Basically there were fewer "included" options on the Oasis version of DD so the menu flip was proposed to offset that concern.

Havent really followed the details of Choice to know whether the menu flip has been talked about or is just assumed still.

Having satisfied myself that I wont run into a DD ship for at least a couple of years, I stopped following the details :)

Hmmmm. Interesting. I missed that piece of information somehow. Well, if they change the menus for everyone in the 3 restaurants I guess it would work. I had never heard that they were going to be changing the menus. That's actually very good news, I think.

Well, it appears that MANY of us won't encounter any DD ships any time soon unless you are going on a Quantum ship as that whole scheme seems to have hit undefined roadblocks. Like you, I have no interest in sailing on a Quantum ship so I don't have to worry about it either...

Thanks for the info. That's news to me !