Delaying of Dynamic Dining on Oasis and Allure

Just in from RCI news:

The scheduled introduction of Dynamic Dining to the Oasis and the Allure of the Seas

has been postponed until later in the year.  Oasis and Allure guests will continue to

enjoy the cruise line's world renowned GOLD Anchor service and an expansive menu

of delicious dinner options in early and late seating dining - as well as the flexible

My Time Dining program - in the Ship's Main Dining rooms, among up to 20 Dining

options aboard the world's largest and most innovative cruise ships.

I still think Dynamic Dining is coming to both ships.

As I've expressed elsewhere I'm no fan of the notion of Dynamic Dining for my vacations, but I agree with management postponing it's rollout for the time being.  Once they work out the kinks on Quantum and Anthem, they'll have a model to work off of.  I'm one of the worst "crowd adverse" people I know (I don't go to concerts and shows due to the amount of people there, etc.) but after sailing on Oasis I noted that RC really mastered how to move large numbers of people onboard the ship, and keep people scatted around the ship doing different activities, without making one feel crowded.  With the exception of the last day (a day at sea) with a crowded pool deck, I never felt as I was with several thousand people onboard at one time.  I'm sure they'll figure do the same when implementing Dynamic Dining on the non-Quantum class ships once the logistics are worked out. 

As I've expressed elsewhere I'm no fan of the notion of Dynamic Dining for my vacations, but I agree with management postponing it's rollout for the time being.  Once they work out the kinks on Quantum and Anthem, they'll have a model to work off of.  I'm one of the worst "crowd adverse" people I know (I don't go to concerts and shows due to the amount of people there, etc.) but after sailing on Oasis I noted that RC really mastered how to move large numbers of people onboard the ship, and keep people scatted around the ship doing different activities, without making one feel crowded.  With the exception of the last day (a day at sea) with a crowded pool deck, I never felt as I was with several thousand people onboard at one time.  I'm sure they'll figure do the same when implementing Dynamic Dining on the non-Quantum class ships once the logistics are worked out. 

I agree, I think they saw they need further refinement of the process and delayed a self-imposed deadline on the Oasis class. Makes sense.

I have a theory about the reports about the long lines.  I believe in first hour, restaurants get overwhelmed with demand.  But if you make your reservations or try to show up after 7:30/8pm, far lesser lines.

I experienced this on my 2-nighter.  I went on first night by the restaurant around 6 or 6:30 and it was a zoo so I went to the bar (a sensible decision LOL).  I came back around 8 and walked in.  Others that have had later ressies havent reported the craziness.  

Just a theory and one I can put to the test in March but just thought I'd toss it out.

• 2 weeks later...

I can see both sides of this, however even being a milenial/gen x member I can appreciate the MDR. Yes DD has 'the grande', but that's formal every night. While our generation does indeed demand variety and is likely what is causing Royal to push DD, I believe you'll see as more of us get past the 20's and into mid to late 30's that more want the traditional sit down family dinner. Royal is smart to delay DD and take its time with this. If it turns out to be even a partial dud, the fix certainly wouldn't be cheap. I think the better move would be to perhaps cut the MDR down one level and put in one more free option. This would leave 2/3 of MDR capacity while giving a bit more choice which some would possibly choose. This may seem like an odd solution , but I think a big part of the problem with DD is the severe reduction/utter removal of the MDR. Leave a decent size MDR in and I forsee DD becoming ALOT more popular.

Mike, think you are pretty close.

I love the idea of DD options if I wanted to eat at a particular style place on a given night (basically additional fee restaurants ala Chops, etc.)

I hate the idea of having to get the group of people I am with to pick a restaurant and a time every night, especially as none of the menus really appeal to me all that much.

On balance I don't want DD but I could see a middle ground working out ....

well wait as people start reviewing that they do not like it and you may really see a delay all together

or them not doing it is what I am thinking now - people really are not liking it

I agree Michelle. I won't be surprised to see the idea fade away. We love specialty dining but 2 or 3 a trip is it. Think they may ne headed for Delta premium pay for everything? MDR comp dining is what makes cruising unique from land based venues. They really need to be careful about messing with it!

If DD means you you lose having the same waiter for the whole trip then I am staunchly opposed!  I just got off a cruise on NCL.  It was terrible compared to RCCL.  One of the major problems was the service at dinners.  I think the connection to you waiter that you get to know - and he/she gets to know you - is one of the special things on a cruise.

• 3 weeks later...

It looks like Dynamic Dining will be replaced by rotational dining: http://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2015/01/31/royal-caribbean-will-adopt-new-rotational-dining-program-anthem-of-the-seas

Intriguing development.  I can see it both ways.  DD has been around for exactly 2 months, hardly a good sample size.  On the other hand, I can't recall seeing so many complaints for anything RC has ever rolled out, 2 months or not. 

This, IMHO, is a happy compomise. Rotational for those that want the same wait staff/time each night, and My Time/My Place dining for those that prefer that flexibility. A win - win for all as far as I'm concerned. Anthem/Quantum is now officially back on my To-Do list! :)

Aye, it seems they have found a good compromise. Now to wait for them reviews in a few months to see how it pans out :) .

Aye, it seems they have found a good compromise. Now to wait for them reviews in a few months to see how it pans out :) .

Essentially, Classic (rotational) dining is the new traditional dining and Dynamic Dining is the new My Time Dining

To me this was a classic example of "it it aint broke, don't fix it."  I think NCL was the tail wagging the dog for a while as they grew in market share.  They really do attract a different style of cruiser than RCCL and other than providing the option of My Time Dining, it was a mistake to chase those customers.

So will they still have the windjammer and the main dining hall and formal nights?

There is no main dining room on Quantum-class ships.  On Oasis (and soon Allure), they have done work on the MDR and split it up into separate restaurants

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

We are on Allure after dry dock on 19 May. The only restaurants available on-line are the pre-dry dock.

Any one with any news on what may be available?

Not sure.  When we booked Allure for the group cruise in Feb 2016 we had choice of first or second seat dinner still.

Will the new rotational dining plan be implemented on Oasis before our September 19, 2015 trip?

I didn't know that they were going to implement Classic dining on the Oasis and Allure. I guess it makes sense since they will be doing it on the Harmony. I think that's good news. Better than Dynamic Dining, I think. Even though these are still static menu restaurants at least you get to keep your waiter which is 1 of the 2 biggest objections I have to the idea of DD. I still say that not having a rotating menu is going to be a bad thing. I hope I'm wrong.

Will the new rotational dining plan be implemented on Oasis before our September 19, 2015 trip?

No one knows when DD will expand out to the Oasis class.  The expectation is "sometime this year".  

FWIW, our group cruise on Allure still has traditional dining choices.  :huh:

I still say that not having a rotating menu is going to be a bad thing. I hope I'm wrong.

I would look at it this way, if you do DD classic and rotate with your staff you essentially do have a different menu each day with each new restaurant. Well I suppose on a 7 night there would be almost twice at each complementary one. I think if they could manage to increase the menu size some they could be like land based chains who almost all have static but large menus.

I see what you're saying, Mike. I look at it another way.

I have not been on a Quantum Class ship so I do not know this for a fact, but I am willing to bet that not one of the 3 new DD/Classic restaurants (or any other complementary restaurant onboard, for that matter) offers complementary lobster on its static menu. If it did then they would be serving lobster left and right every single night. I ALSO suspect that lobster appears SOMEwhere on one of those menus (perhaps more than one) as an upcharge option.

So now, those of us that had been getting lobster once during a 7 night cruise (usually the second formal night) will no longer get lobster unless we are willing to pay extra for it. I suspect that the same is probably true for other pricey main course options such as the lamb shank and/or lamb chops.

I see DD as a weasely way for RC to get OUT of the business of offering these "premium" (although the lobster has become somewhat pedestrian in the past few years) once-in-a-week options.

My objection is not solely with the lack of variety but with the loss of those special dishes that we have come to love and expect. I think they are going to be gone, gone, gone - unless you're willing to pay for them - very shortly.

If I am wrong, someone please tell me. I am willing to retract my hypothesis. It is nothing more than that.

I see what you're saying, Mike. I look at it another way.I have not been on a Quantum Class ship so I do not know this for a fact, but I am willing to bet that not one of the 3 new DD/Classic restaurants (or any other complementary restaurant onboard, for that matter) offers complementary lobster on its static menu. If it did then they would be serving lobster left and right every single night. I ALSO suspect that lobster appears SOMEwhere on one of those menus (perhaps more than one) as an upcharge option.So now, those of us that had been getting lobster once during a 7 night cruise (usually the second formal night) will no longer get lobster unless we are willing to pay extra for it. I suspect that the same is probably true for other pricey main course options such as the lamb shank and/or lamb chops.I see DD as a weasely way for RC to get OUT of the business of offering these "premium" (although the lobster has become somewhat pedestrian in the past few years) once-in-a-week options.My objection is not solely with the lack of variety but with the loss of those special dishes that we have come to love and expect. I think they are going to be gone, gone, gone - unless you're willing to pay for them - very shortly.If I am wrong, someone please tell me. I am willing to retract my hypothesis. It is nothing more than that.

You should have been a hypothesistician! I agree, and think you have broken the "let's raise our profit" Code. Check out the one page MDR menus, choice is a fleeting (no pun intended) concept.

Raye, I was on Quantum on March 13. I absolutely loved it and I loved dynamic dining. I hate to say this but you are wrong. The free restaurant the Grande offers free lobster every night. No upcharge. If you want to go there every night and order lobster you are free to do so. Now I know this is weird but I do not like lobster so I did not order it but it was on the menu everyday. I thought the food on Quantum was Sooo much better than the MDR food. They don't start cooking your food until you order it so it comes out so mush hotter and fresher. I am not trying to argue with you I just wanted you to know this fact. If you want free lobster you can still get it on Quantum Class ships!

I would say don't fix what aint broke.  We are booked on Anthem of the Seas on 22/5/15.  It seems quite difficult to book dining slots and then get tickets for shows that do not clash.  When there was the traditional early/late dining (with flexible option if you wanted it) this was never an issue.  I am really looking forward to going but it seems we are doing a job that really should not be necessary.

Whatever they decide to do, I hope the improve the food on Oasis. I was actually shocked that the food went from excellent (really - you must try the cold soups!) to too difficult to eat (duck leg quarter that was more bone than flesh, steak that was well marbled with gristle...). Some food that should have been hot arrived to our table cold. I didn't expect amazing food in the main dining room - in fact I expected it to be middle of the road, generic catering type food. Instead it was more like Junior High school cafeteria food. On the plus side, for a $17 up charge you can get a 9 ounce tenderloin steak from Chops.

Whatever they decide to do, I hope the improve the food on Oasis. I was actually shocked that the food went from excellent (really - you must try the cold soups!) to too difficult to eat (duck leg quarter that was more bone than flesh, steak that was well marbled with gristle...). Some food that should have been hot arrived to our table cold. I didn't expect amazing food in the main dining room - in fact I expected it to be middle of the road, generic catering type food. Instead it was more like Junior High school cafeteria food. On the plus side, for a $17 up charge you can get a 9 ounce tenderloin steak from Chops.

We were on Oasis last year, and just recently got off Jewel.  I will have to say that the MDR food on Jewel was quite good, probably the best we had in ages.  Oasis was ... meh.  On Jewel we did happen to be seated near the doors where staff brought out food from the kitchen, so that may have been a factor, as the food arrived hot to warm, unlike Oasis which was always cold.  

One sad note is that the Indian/Vegetarian food was missing from the menus in the MDR on Jewel.  My wife spoke with the head waiter and they did make a few dishes for her however; I tasted the Aloo Gobi and it was fabulous.

Now, the Windjammer, well that was another story.  I enjoyed the Windjammer on Oasis; good variety, good quality.  On Jewel, well ... epic fail.  Other than fresh pineapple and melon the fruit was all canned, the corned beef hash was canned, the gravy for biscuits and gravy was the constancy of warm milk (and I'm not exaggerating there at all, it was nasty!!!), no variety at all at breakfast times.  Asian, Indian, and other ethnic foods were missing, and their "South American inspired" lunch menu consisted of...potatoes.  Highly disappointing compared to past cruises.  I really dig eating styles of food that I can't normally get at home, types of food I've had on past cruises; they were missing on Jewel and I wound up eating burgers twice which is very unusual for me. 

bcarney, describe your table location some more, wonder if we had the same table :)

We were on deck 4, all the way at the back at the dining room port side on a little raised platform right by the entrance to galley.

We were right in front of that platform!  Immediately to the right of the 'staging area' where they sorted dishes before serving.  We had a party of 14 so they rearranged some tables in that section for us.   

Our waitress was Imelda from the Philippines, and Asst Waiter was Dwayne Cooper from Jamaica.  Our head waiter was a young looking man named "A.P." from India, who will undoubtedly be someone very important with RCCL one day.  We were on Jewel 4/4-4/11.