Cafe Select coffee card

joost

when browsing drink packages for my upcomming cruise i noticed a new option, atleast i havent seen if for my alure cruise last year.

the cafe select coffee card. 
any 15 secialty espresso based coffees, and 50% off individually prucahaes coffees, seems like a good deal for people just taking the refresh package for the coffee,

i attached the page from the website dont mind the euro, its around 30 dollars atm i think

royal coffee.png

I've read different reports on the use of this card on different ships.  Some people have reported that it's one punch per drink, and others have reported it's one punch per shot.  So if you get two shots of espresso in your drink, then they take two punches.  Others have also reported that it's only for one size coffee, and if you want a bigger size they take two punches.

Didn't stop me from buying one for my cruise on Serenade next October though.  LOL I'll report back in 10 months how it went. 

Caution: Different ships have different rules. Meaning: we all are led to believe that one coffee drink = 1 punch. On some ships if you order a large/venti drink your card will get punched twice. RCL will give a song and dance that those larger drinks are 2 shots of expresso and therefore your card gets punched twice. Doing some quick math, you'll find by ordering the larger size drinks and being double punched' this is no bargain compared to the posted prices.

Buyer beware

• 3 weeks later...

We bought it for a 12 night cruise next year, at least with one punch per card it will keep those caffeine levels down, and will last us for almost each day of the cruise.  I think we can handle one small coffee at a time, we don't need large ones.  We're not doing drink packages since it's so many nights, so this will definitely help keep us in budget.

Just been on Radiance and had this same experience.  On the first day I was offered the middle size cup and 1 hole was punched.  The coffee was terribly weak and was horrible.  It didn't dawn on me until the next day a different barrista gave me the small cup and obviously the strength was better.  When I asked for a larger cup the next day the barrista automatically went to 2 holes as he made it with 2 shots of espresso.  I paid $A46 for the card and the small coffees were $US3 ($A4.05).  The medium cups were $US4 ($A5.40).  If you stick with the small cups and 1 shot you save about $A14 over the 15 coffees.  If you want a larger coffee with 2 shots of coffee, it is actually cheaper to pay as you go than purchasing the coffee card.  To complicate matters on 1 occasion I bought an iced chocolate and an iced latte; both a lot larger than a medium coffee ; and was charged 1 punch/hole for each.  Still don't understand how the 50% off applies.  If it is supposed to be for additional coffees once you have used the 15 then you need to keep the used card to show at the cafe.

2 hours ago, toodle68 said:

When we were on Liberty, they said we could not use our starbucks account to purchase anything. It had to be via the sea pass.

That's because there is no Starbucks kiosk on Liberty.  Starbucks kiosks are only on Oasis class ships.

Guest toodle68
16 hours ago, Matt said:

That's because there is no Starbucks kiosk on Liberty.  Starbucks kiosks are only on Oasis class ships.

I never said anything about there being a starbucks on Liberty.. but I wanted to used my starbucks account..  :)

LOL  ok, so I got confused somewhere..

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 11/19/2017 at 8:33 PM, toodle68 said:

I brought it for my upcoming cruise. Works out to be $2 a coffee which is not bad. And unlike the other packages, you can share it with others in your party. 

This has my name all over it!  Previous cruises I also bought the drink pkg but ended up drinking more coffee than soda. The Hubs isn't a big coffee drinker but I'm originally from Louisiana.

I grew up with coffee in my baby bottles!  :10_wink:

• 5 months later...
1 hour ago, Keeves said:

Last week on the Mariner (Miami-Bahamas), my wife was NOT able to use her U.S. Starbucks card. The onboard purchase had to go on the SeaPass.

That is likely due to the fact the Starbucks on Mariner is not a standalone store. On ships like Harmony and other Oasis class it is, and therefore the Starbucks card can be used, and drinks are not covered by the drink package.

To the original question though, I'm not sure if a Canadian Starbucks card would work at the standalone Starbucks location. It would be the same as going to any Starbucks in the US and trying to pay in Canadian dollars. But @jurrjurr had a post that said it was possible. Not sure if that was with a CDN or US gift card?

35 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

That is likely due to the fact the Starbucks on Mariner is not a standalone store. On ships like Harmony and other Oasis class it is, and therefore the Starbucks card can be used, and drinks are not covered by the drink package.

Starbucks on Mariner is not covered by any of the drink packages, and that's exactly why I had thought that it was standalone and that the Starbucks card would work.It is clear to me that I don't understand what "standalone" means in this context.

(Presuming that Starbucks is not standalone,) I am rather surprised that the bean counters were able to find a way to make all-you-can-drink liquor profitable, but they can't find a way to make all-you-can-drink Starbucks profitable. (Personally, I don't really care. I have no need for high-end coffee at all, and even my wife is happy with one or two per day. It's just that there are so many Starbucks addicts out there, I'm surprised that it's not included in any of the packages.)

56 minutes ago, Keeves said:

Starbucks on Mariner is not covered by any of the drink packages, and that's exactly why I had thought that it was standalone and that the Starbucks card would work.It is clear to me that I don't understand what "standalone" means in this context.

Hmm...I'm at a lost too then in that case. 

My two experiences with Starbucks on RC is either on Oasis class where you can use a Starbucks card and it is not covered by the drink package.  Those Starbucks locations are "on their own" and not part of Cafe Promenade or whatever.  The other is the Starbucks on Anthem where the Starbucks is located within a shop in the promenade and doesn't carry the name "Starbucks" but serves Starbucks coffees and drinks.  There you use your Seapass card and you can use the drink packages there.  Maybe @Matt has more insight?

1 hour ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

To the original question though, I'm not sure if a Canadian Starbucks card would work at the standalone Starbucks location. It would be the same as going to any Starbucks in the US and trying to pay in Canadian dollars. But @jurrjurr had a post that said it was possible. Not sure if that was with a CDN or US gift card?

We used our CDN gift card balance on the Starbucks app on Allure & Oasis.  The Starbucks on the ship will not honour free drink redemption/promos.  

If you missed out on certain promos (birthday drink) or lost stars while on a sailing, just send a quick e-mail to Starbucks CS.

Just now, jurrjurr said:

We used our CDN gift card balance on the Starbucks app on Allure & Oasis.  The Starbucks on the ship will not honour free drink redemption/promos.  

If you missed out on certain promos (birthday drink) or lost stars while on a sailing, just send a quick e-mail to Starbucks CS.

Did they convert your CDN balance to a US currency first?

59 minutes ago, Keeves said:

(Presuming that Starbucks is not standalone,) I am rather surprised that the bean counters were able to find a way to make all-you-can-drink liquor profitable, but they can't find a way to make all-you-can-drink Starbucks profitable. (Personally, I don't really care. I have no need for high-end coffee at all, and even my wife is happy with one or two per day. It's just that there are so many Starbucks addicts out there, I'm surprised that it's not included in any of the packages.)

That's a good point.  They ran a trial on an OA ship once making Starbucks (standalone) covered by the drink package but nothing ever came of it.  With the drink package going up over 8% recently you would think they could include the standalone Starbucks.  They are probably afraid of crazy long lines every morning creating a bad experience. 

2 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Hmm...I'm at a lost too then in that case. 

My two experiences with Starbucks on RC is either on Oasis class where you can use a Starbucks card and it is not covered by the drink package.  Those Starbucks locations are "on their own" and not part of Cafe Promenade or whatever.  The other is the Starbucks on Anthem where the Starbucks is located within a shop in the promenade and doesn't carry the name "Starbucks" but serves Starbucks coffees and drinks.  There you use your Seapass card and you can use the drink packages there.  Maybe @Matt has more insight?

The new Mariner Starbucks appears to be standalone-like but differs in operation compared to the Starbucks on OA class.  Who knew?  Another inconsistency with it's implementation.  A new classification of Starbucks.  "Standalone-Light"?  "Pseudo-Standalone"?  "Quasi-Standalone"?   

• 2 weeks later...

First, thank you to those who have provided information above.

I will be sailing on Freedom Of The Seas in Nov.  I am a Starbucks junkie, and know there is a Starbucks on board.  So here is my question:

- Does the Cafe Select Coffee Card include purchasing coffee at Starbucks?  If you read the tiny print (i.e., Additional Terms and Conditions apply), it says the card cannot be used at Starbucks.

- If the card can't be used at Starbucks, how great are the other coffee options on board?  Where would one get a cappuccino or cafe latte on the ship, if not at Starbucks?

- Has anyone else experience baristas punching two holes in the card for a double-espresso-short drink on Freedom Of The Seas?  The card simply says "espresso-based drink"; if baristas are punching the card 2 & 3 times for one drink, then that is clearly false advertisement.

All of the comments above are making me seriously re-think getting the coffee card ... but would be very interested in hearing your answers to my questions.

Thanks!!!

1 hour ago, Dolores said:

Does the Cafe Select Coffee Card include purchasing coffee at Starbucks?  If you read the tiny print (i.e., Additional Terms and Conditions apply), it says the card cannot be used at Starbucks.

It can be used at any Royal Caribbean operated coffee location, such as Cafe Promenade or at a specialty restaurant.  You mentioned you are going on Freedom, so it covers pretty much any specialty coffee (latte, macchiato, et al) on Freedom.  

If you happened to be on an Oasis Class ship, which has a Starbucks kiosk, the card would not work there but would work at Cafe Promenade and other locations.

1 hour ago, Dolores said:

Has anyone else experience baristas punching two holes in the card for a double-espresso-short drink on Freedom Of The Seas?  The card simply says "espresso-based drink"; if baristas are punching the card 2 & 3 times for one drink, then that is clearly false advertisement.

From what I can tell, this policy seems to vary from ship to ship.  I've seen it done both ways (one punch per drink, one punch per espresso shot).  

Keep in mind these cards could be bought onboard, so if it's a concern for you, wait to buy onboard and then see what the ship policy is. Little risk involved.

On 7/25/2018 at 4:55 PM, twangster said:

Café Promenade serves 'illy' branded coffee or at least did in November 2017.

Still did when I was on Freedom in March/April of this year. I had a grande cappuccino every morning after breakfast and sometimes in the afternoon, and found it to be better than what Starbucks usually serves; not as bitter as the SBUX espresso.

I can't comment on the number of punches for the grande, although I confirmed when I bought the first one that it's 2 shots of espresso for that size, as I had the deluxe package and my coffees were covered under that.

• 7 months later...