Ultimate Dining package- Worth it?

Boston Babe

Finally just saw an offer on my 5 night to Bermuda on the Grandeur. Dining package $120 PP for the whole sailing, all resteraunts. @WAAAYTOOO, I know you've done this ship and cruise, any opinion on this? We are not big foodies, give my husband steak and mashed potatoes and a beer and he's happy! LOL Thanks for any input!:1_grinning:

We didn't have it on the Harmony Group Cruise, but lots of others in the group did so I'm sure they will chime in.  Feedback I heard from some of them was that it was way too much food, since you get lunch on sea days as well as dinner. Some found themselves skipping breakfast since they were going to have such a big lunch.  

On Grandeur we usually do a 3 night package. As a rule we do 2 nights at Izumi and 1 night at Chops.  I am in agreement that a 5 night plan would probably be too much food.  When we have the ultimate dining with Star class it’s always too much.  Plus we always eat at least 1 meal from the MDR - lamb shank so a paid meal that night would be wasted.

1 hour ago, Boston Babe said:

Finally just saw an offer on my 5 night to Bermuda on the Grandeur. Dining package $120 PP for the whole sailing, all resteraunts. @WAAAYTOOO, I know you've done this ship and cruise, any opinion on this? We are not big foodies, give my husband steak and mashed potatoes and a beer and he's happy! LOL Thanks for any input!:1_grinning:

What specialty restaurants are on the Grandeur?  I lean towards that it might be worth it if you are on an Oasis class ship and there's lots of specialty restaurants to choose from but probably a 2-3 night package if there are not as many specialty restaurants.  That package is a lot of food....

16 minutes ago, Matt said:

Thanks so much Matt.  this review was great.  Being our first cruise for the next 2 years is a 5 nighter, I think I'm going to pass.  Your mention of too much food, but taking the time to eat for lunch when time is short we will select one or two nights and lunch at Windjammer I would think. It really is a great deal I think if you are on a longer cruise.:1_grinning:

3 hours ago, Boston Babe said:

Thanks so much Matt.  this review was great.  Being our first cruise for the next 2 years is a 5 nighter, I think I'm going to pass.  Your mention of too much food, but taking the time to eat for lunch when time is short we will select one or two nights and lunch at Windjammer I would think. It really is a great deal I think if you are on a longer cruise.:1_grinning:

I think I generally agree.  I think the Ultimate Dining Package is perfect if you fit into one of these two categories:

• You have not sampled any/few specialty restaurants and want to try them all out
  • You dislike the main dining room to the point of not wanting to eat there at all

Copied from the beverage thread as more relevant here I guess...

On the Ovation in March I noticed a few of the shore excursions dropped so re-booked those.

Refreshments back to around $21 in conversion rates including gratuity so don't think they will go any lower. Booked one device at around $12.75 as cheapest it has been to date.

The Ultimate Dining Package is the one I am unsure about! Read Matt's article and I am very tempted. https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2017/07/11/royal-caribbean-ultimate-dining-package-costs-and-review

Costs for UDP are - 10 day cruise = £258.72 (approx $345 or $34 per person per day), 3 day cruise is £55.44 ($74 or $25 pppd) and 14 day cruise is same cost as 10 day one (go figure!) at also around $25pppd.

I am in two minds - just do the 3 day one so we get to sample Chops/Wonderland etc in the middle OR say what the heck and go for the 14 day package.

Expert opinions welcome!! 

I am tempted to go for the 14 day option...maybe need somebody to convince me!!

3 minutes ago, Bazza said:

Hi all

Following on from my previous, with the UDP, do you have to pre-book the speciality venues or can you decide on the day to just 'turn up' (assuming space!)?

Thanks

If I remember correctly, I think you have to wait until you get on board to make reservations at specific restaurants.

Off topic a bit but wanted to report that we were allowed a $50/pp credit at Izumi on Allure  this week.  They started out telling us it was a $35/pp credit allowance but we insisted that we had always gotten a $50/pp allowance and they ultimately relented.  Of course our entire bill only came to $71 so we didn’t use all of the $100 credit but I was happy that they acknowledged that the lower allowance was a bit arbitrary. I doubt they will allow this discretion forever but it worked for us this week !