liquor store on the ship

CruiseHappy

I would suggest pricing a couple things at home that you might be interested in and writing that down.  There are some good deals on cruise ship liquor stores, but sometimes you will find the prices aren't that much different.  Plus if it is only a couple dollars difference is it worth hauling home?  But they might also have a brand you can't get as easily at home, so then value isn't just a dollar for dollar comparison.

We've found the prices recently on the islands to be a bit better than the ones on the ship, but the ship selections (on Harmony, anyway) were less in number than when we sailed Quantum on 2015.  Either the size of the store is smaller so they carry less, or they are just carrying less since they are selling less/more people buying onshore?  Not sure.  My husband googled the prices at our local liquor store while shopping on the ship and in Cozumel and Jamaica and we only ended up buying something we could get at home from Jamaica.  (Rest of our dollars went to local products.) 

The super premium stuff is definitely cheaper,  I think the issue is getting it home.  Last time I cruised a buddy of mine that was with me really wanted to buy Johnnie Walker Blue Label, they had a two bottle deal, something like $250 for 2 bottles and they are normally like $170 each at home.  He was concerned about them breaking in his suitcase, so he didn't buy any.  I told him to wrap them really good in clothes, but he didn't want to take the chance.  If we didn't have to fly he would have bought them for sure.    

I looked specifically at Patron, and it was cheaper for sure when they were running a buy 2 deal of some kind.  I couldn't bring it on the plane, so I had to pass.

On Serenade I stopped by towards the end of the night, and the crew member was super helpful, and giving me samples of whatever I wanted (he was totally bored out of his mind).  I felt really bad that I couldn't buy anything due to the flight home.

Not sure that I understand the reluctance to fly home with several bottles.  We just returned from Oasis last week and packed 3 x 1 liter bottles of bourbon in our checked luggage.  They were purchased at a bourbon tasting that was held mid-week.  The bottles were delivered to our stateroom the night before departure and were packed in a sturdy box.  We just surrounded the box with clothing in the suitcase to provide some cushioning.  They arrived home safe and intact; and so am I as I'm enjoying a Manhattan right now...  :15_yum:

From my experience the price on the ship most of the times are very good, mainly if you are taking the two/three bottles offers.

Rum, Grey Gauss (which I use as a price indicator any many duty free shops) are for sure better than the airports duty frees.

Regarding packing and sending in the check suitcase , I did it many times (every flight almost that I am taking I will always return a wine or a liqueur based where I am flying from). beside one incident due to bad bottle it all went ok. It is always good idea to bring with you a duck tape or something like that to secure the cork/plug.

23 hours ago, Goofyfanatic said:

Does anyone know if in fact the Johnnie Walker sale is still on going? It was last year when we went to Canada and we leave Saturday on Allure.

Thanks,

Seth

Just got the JW blue deal in August on our Alaska cruise. I'm not a JW fan, but my husband was thrilled. The sale might be something that is different ship to ship though. 

On 11/17/2017 at 1:16 PM, JBC said:

The super premium stuff is definitely cheaper,  I think the issue is getting it home.  Last time I cruised a buddy of mine that was with me really wanted to buy Johnnie Walker Blue Label, they had a two bottle deal, something like $250 for 2 bottles and they are normally like $170 each at home.  He was concerned about them breaking in his suitcase, so he didn't buy any.  I told him to wrap them really good in clothes, but he didn't want to take the chance.  If we didn't have to fly he would have bought them for sure.    

I'm a rum collector, and just returned home with 5 bottles of rum (and 2 bottles of a special-to-me beer that was obtained especially for me by a friendly staffer on catamaran Fan-Ta-Sea in St. Kitts).  We just wrap the bottles in tightly with the clothes, and pray.  Haven't had an issue yet, and have been doing this ever since we stopped being allowed to bring it home as our carry-ons.  

If you buy from the local stores instead of on the ship, some will pre-pack them in boxes for you, and you can put the boxes in your luggage.

You kind of have to trust the gods when you are packing a $600 bottle into your luggage, but the alternative is not being able to bring any home...

On 11/17/2017 at 1:16 PM, JBC said:

Johnnie Walker Blue Label, they had a two bottle deal, something like $250 for 2 bottles and they are normally like $170 each at home.  He was concerned about them breaking in his suitcase, so he didn't buy any. 

OMG - did he ever tried to break JW Blue bottle ?

He would need to put his suitcase under steamroller to do any harm ;)

We got JW Blue this past October on Grandeur. 2 for $300. Considering we’re in Pa and the LCB charges about $240 a bottle, we bought it.  Since we drove to Baltimore, getting it home wasn’t an issue. I have purchased a bubble wrap, bottle shaped type packaging from Amazon called WineWings. It has ziploc type seal and Velcro to at opening. No leaks. Great for if you have to pack bottles. 

Got the 2 for $310 deal on Johnnie Blue. They brought it down to $300 and let me put a bottle of John Walker XR (1 Litre) and Blue (750ML) for the $300.

Prices were LESS on St. Kitts and I was able to grab one picture to show the RC workers before I was stopped taking pictures by the workers on the island. RC did do a price match (at least they gave me part of it as I couldn't prove the Johnnie Blue price) 

In the end I got 2 for $285 and am very happy.

Prices on the ship will often be quite similar to prices at shops near ports.  That in mind, if you can make it to a regular grocery store or other shop which sells liquor (not for tourists) you'll be far better off - sometimes half what you see on the ship and near port.  As an example, a bottle of Havana Club (not añejo) might be $19USD in one of the shops in Nassau or in Cozumel.  In a grocery store in MX? Between $6 and $7USD.

Now, if you're looking for more obscure bottles, you may have to stay close to the port - but just something to keep in mind.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So for in-room mid-cruise cocktails, can I buy a bottle in the ship liquor store and consume on board? And if I can buy it in port, they won't let me consume until disembarking, is that right? I don't want to bring any booze on the plane home with me, just looking for a way to make cocktails in the cabin. I have the DBP but won't want to find a bar every time I finish off a cocktail. 

Sorry this is on a super old post, but hopefully someone has the answer! 

4 minutes ago, DDaley said:

So for in-room mid-cruise cocktails, can I buy a bottle in the ship liquor store and consume on board? And if I can buy it in port, they won't let me consume until disembarking, is that right? I don't want to bring any booze on the plane home with me, just looking for a way to make cocktails in the cabin. I have the DBP but won't want to find a bar every time I finish off a cocktail. 

Sorry this is on a super old post, but hopefully someone has the answer! 

No you can not buy a bottle from the onboard store and consume it in your room.  When you buy it they will label it and it will be returned on the last evening of the cruise.  With that being said it usually arrives around 6 - 8 pm so you can go CRAZY on the last night with your purchased liquor.  And you are correct about liquor bought on land, they will also tag it and return it on the last night.

Just now, marti314 said:

With that being said it usually arrives around 6 - 8 pm so you can go CRAZY on the last night with your purchased liquor

hahaha, what fun a hangover must be on debarkation day! Thanks so much, looks like I'll be hauling myself up a few floors to find a bartender more often. 

1 minute ago, DDaley said:

hahaha, what fun a hangover must be on debarkation day! Thanks so much, looks like I'll be hauling myself up a few floors to find a bartender more often. 

Best floor on Oasis class ships is 8, walk out to Central park and get something from Trellis bar!!

We like to buy Sheridan.

Sheridan's Coffee Liqueur is essentially two liquors in one with the bottle divided into distinct sections. On the right is black liqueur made from a blend of coffee and whiskey and on the left is white liqueur flavored with milk white chocolate.

You just don't find it at the typical liquor store.

Pouring carefully from the bottle into a shot glass, the two liquors separate into two layers. It makes for a great toast at celebrations and holidays. It is also great over ice cream or cake.

Sheridan.jpg

• 3 years later...
13 minutes ago, Qeyton Dude said:

Not if you are driving distance of the great state of New Hampshire.  

I was just going to say the same thing.  NH is well known for our cheap state liquor stores.  We even have our state liquor stores on the highway.  But don't drink and drive! 🙂

There may be a few deals to be had but when we lived in Florida, I could usually find really good deals at Costco and sometimes Walmart Liquor store.  I went into a Walmart about 2 weeks before Thanksgiving and they had marked down .750 ML bottles of Jack Single Barrel down to $25 (they are usually $45-$55).  I grabbed all 4 that were there and asked about it.  The clerk said that they were making room for Christmas stuff, Peppermint and Gingerbread flavored Vodka and other goofy flavors. Costco had $90 bottles of Talisker Storm with a special $40 off.  I grabbed a bottle for myself and one for my SIL.

Sadly, Tennessee (where we live now) has a bunch of backwards liquor laws and Costco, Publix, Walmart are not allowed to sell liquor, only beer and wine.  We live in Tennessee Whiskey territory (Jack Daniels is about 40 miles away and George Dickel is about 30 miles from me) and I can still buy Whiskey cheaper on trips to Florida than I can locally. The Kirkland "Lincoln County Process" Tennessee Sour Mash (in a 1.75 ML is nothing but Dickel in a different bottle and a Kirkland label and about 2/3 the price.

Two things to keep in mind:  1.  "Duty Free" doesn't mean "quantity unlimited tax free".  To be honest, I've never been asked how much liquor I'm bring back from the Caribbean or from the ship.  I have been asked, however, if I was bring some liquor back.  2.  If you are cruising out of and back to Texas (Galveston), Texas has it's own liquor import laws and you may be subject to paying taxes on whatever you bring back.  However, I have never had to pay any taxes to Texas for the liquor I've brough back into Texas, I plead the 5th.  

Wait, I was asked ONCE by the Customs/Immigration guy(s)/gal(s) (at Port Everglades) if I was bringing any alcohol back into the U.S. and I told him/her, Yes, 4 bottles.  He/she then said that if I was bring back more than X bottles (I think it was two 750 bottles), I'd have to pay duty on the bottles that are more than the "duty free" bottles.  He/she then asked again, "How many bottles of liquor was I bring in to the country"?  I told him/her X (again, I think it was 2) bottles and he/she said thank you very much, you may go.  

My experience on this is a few years old.  So, it may be a little outdated.  So, YMMV!