Grandeur and Ovation not available to book, ever?

davelliott

When I log in to try to look at cruises, I noticed that Grandeur and Ovation are not on the ship list.

I clicked on "Plan a Cruise" on the top menu bar, then "Find a Cruise" on the menu that pops up under that.  Then I clicked on "Ships" toward the middle of the screen.  It shows 23 ships that are available to book now, without Grandeur or Ovation.  Can anyone do the same steps I did and see these two?  I was wondering why they don't even show up.

If I select the drop-down for "Sailing From" and select Baltimore, then the Grandeur shows up.  Likewise, I can select Sydney and see Ovation.  Just odd that it is not on the main ship list.

If people are not familiar with the drop down menus, these two ships would not be available.  Seems odd since new-comers to the website would be missing out.

I found out that my issue occurs with Chrome only.  I tried Firefox and could see the two missing ships.  I also tried Internet Explorer and saw them but at about 5 times slower than with Chrome.  I determined that when I had Chrome sat at 100% zoom, the Grandeur and Ovation were off the bottom and the slider wouldn't let me move the screen down to see them.  However, if I changed my zoom to 90%, they "magically" appeared on the screen.  I have never had this happen on other websites, so I never thought of adjusting the zoom level.

Welcome to the weirdness of RCI IT and the website mysteries.  

I often can't use safari to look at cruises while planning them unless I clear the cache on a regular basis.  Recently Safari worked except for the last step in making any purchase in the cruise panner, then it didn't allow me to submit payment - the final click did nothing.  Chrome worked to submit payment so I used it to make all cruise planner purchases.

When I went to check in and print my setsail pass, I couldn't check the box to acknowledge the cruise contract using Chrome, but I could in Safari, but then it wouldn't print from safari so I had to switch back to Chrome to print my setsail pass having now agreed to the contract  (using safari) it now worked to print (in chrome).  

It's become... "What am I doing today?  Oh yeah, use this browser".

The website is one of my only negative customer experiences I have with RCI.

This might seem like a strange strategy but I use Costco Travel's website to check prices and availability with RC.  I find that Costco is pretty much in line with RC in that whatever RC has available, Costco usually shows.  There was only one time that I can remember where something showed up on RC that was not on Costco but usually it's the other way around.  For example, often when I check suite prices with RC, it allows me to select the suite category it but won't show me the price.  That's when I head over to Costco's site to check and then if I am interested I will call them.  I do find it strange how in this day in age, companies like RC can't get their IT together.  However, RC's site a dream compared to DCL.  I absolutely hate their site.  But that's another story...lol

3 hours ago, Sabrinaklai said:

For example, often when I check suite prices with RC, it allows me to select the suite category it but won't show me the price. 

HI sabrina, that's weird, I see the prices all the time for suites on RC? Is that because you're in Canada maybe? Very Strange.  Hoping you are doing great!:1_grinning:

1 hour ago, Boston Babe said:

HI sabrina, that's weird, I see the prices all the time for suites on RC? Is that because you're in Canada maybe? Very Strange.  Hoping you are doing great!:1_grinning:

I explained it wrong.  I see the prices too but when I go to select say a GS, it says it is not available, when in fact many are available.  And this has nothing to do with TA having a certain amount of rooms and RC having a certain amount because when I call RC directly they have availability and Costco has the same availability.  I think just the website is wonky.  Also, I find the Costco Travel website very user friendly so that's why I check prices there. 

And I am doing great!  Sailing on the Disney Fantasy in 12 days so I can't complain!

I don't know that this is the case, but I made this mistake once and DocLC pointed it out to me:

When I click through RCL booking web site then click on Suites the next window/windows I'm presented with are a chose between refundable deposit or non-refundable  deposit, if I chose refundable I typically only see JC, maybe one other choice, if I go to non-refundable deposit, I'm usually shown far more choices, I'f I'm really far off from a cruise date I'm looking at I can even see the really hard suites to book, closer to cruise date I may only see JC or GC.

33 minutes ago, tiny260 said:

I don't know that this is the case, but I made this mistake once and DocLC pointed it out to me:

When I click through RCL booking web site then click on Suites the next window/windows I'm presented with are a chose between refundable deposit or non-refundable  deposit, if I chose refundable I typically only see JC, maybe one other choice, if I go to non-refundable deposit, I'm usually shown far more choices, I'f I'm really far off from a cruise date I'm looking at I can even see the really hard suites to book, closer to cruise date I may only see JC or GC.

Yes for sure.  Most of the times only JS show up when I choose refundable.  But I usually choose non-refundable and it still happens so who knows.  Not that I can afford or justify Star class anyway, I just like looking....but isn't that how all problems start...

Exactly how it started for me, I started looking early this year and found a Star Class on Allure in January of 2019, so I booked it, been paying monthly ever since, figured I had over a year to pay it off.

If I go a week before or the week after the date I booked the price goes up by half, I guess I just got lucky.

2 hours ago, tiny260 said:

Exactly how it started for me, I started looking early this year and found a Star Class on Allure in January of 2019, so I booked it, been paying monthly ever since, figured I had over a year to pay it off.

If I go a week before or the week after the date I booked the price goes up by half, I guess I just got lucky.

@tiny260...my next year off work (when I can cruise whenever) that's what I am going to do!  The Genie is on my cruise bucket list!