Aft Cabin vs Hump Cabin

runderekrun

Looking for some advice — we are going on our first family cruise next year on Mariner of the Seas (my wife, 10 year old daughter, and me with what will be an almost one year old) and I have never booked anything more than an ocean view.  Currently we are booked in a corner aft cabin balcony on deck 10 but there are hump balconies available on decks 8 and 9.  I know the deck plans will change with the extreme refurbishment but which room would you recommend?

So here are my two cents!

We have done the corner aft on the Freedom class ship and the size of both the stateroom and balcony were great!!!  Some people complain of the pole in the middle of the room but it seems to go away withing a couple of hours.  I am not sure if I would like one in the dead center as your sight line would be only the back!

The only neg thing I could think of is if you are one of the last aft staterooms on the hump you may not have a clear view to the front of the ship.  We are in two JS on the Indy for Christmas.  

If you're prone to motion sickness, being in the aft corner might make you a little more likely to feel it than being in the hump room mid-ship, where the overall motion of the ship is less. These ships are so huge now, and they use so much technology to keep the ship stable, that motion isn't really a problem any more. But it should be kept in mind.

The other thing I've heard about, but it seems to be pretty rare, is soot from the stacks making its way down onto the aft cabins. I had asked about aft cabins and the desire to view the wake from them here in an earlier thread, and the issue of soot was noted by a few people who had stayed aft.

I haven't never been in an aft cabin (although it has never been a problem but I still worry about motion) but I have stayed on the hump before.  The little bit of extra space is nice on the balcony and I like that it is midship so you never feel much at all in terms of motion.  But as @JLMoran mentioned, ships are so big now it's rarely an issue.  If I had to choose I would choose hump over aft any day simply due to Deck 10 being right under the Windjammer.  They open/setup pretty early in the morning so who knows what kind of noise you might hear?  Maybe none at all but I would not want to take that chance.

12 minutes ago, Sabrinaklai said:

If I had to choose I would choose hump over aft any day simply due to Deck 10 being right under the Windjammer.  They open/setup pretty early in the morning so who knows what kind of noise you might hear?  Maybe none at all but I would not want to take that chance.

Interestingly, I checked cruisedeckplans.com and they make no mention in the "Cabin Guru" section about the WJ being above that area. No mention there of reported sound issues with any of the aft-most cabins, either. The only thing it notes is that there is a metal structure around the balconies of these rooms that can interfere with the views for the cabins facing straight back, while the corner ones have a better view that's less obstructed.

10 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

Interestingly, I checked cruisedeckplans.com and they make no mention in the "Cabin Guru" section about the WJ being above that area. No mention there of reported sound issues with any of the aft-most cabins, either. The only thing it notes is that there is a metal structure around the balconies of these rooms that can interfere with the views for the cabins facing straight back, while the corner ones have a better view that's less obstructed.

On CC there was some mention in a few reviews about those cabins being below the WJ but people did not complain about noise.  Personally we just wouldn't take chance that's all.  Our usual cruise rules are nothing right under or above public areas and nothing close to Adventure Ocean.  It's likely fine.  Lots of people stay in those rooms and report no noise.

Have had aft corner cabins on several of the Voyager/Super-Voyager class ships and would gladly kill to get another one ;)

The way the aft slopes on those ships each deck sticks out a few feet further than the deck above, so even if you are "under" the windjammer you are under the seating right against the window.

Had that location last Thanksgiving on Adventure, heard nothing from Windjammer, loved the huge cabin with the pole in the middle and the large covered balcony.