From the Ship to the Airport

tmh

For a group of 9, what is the best way to get to the airport from the ship?  We've made transportation plans to the ship but have not quite thought about how to get to the airport after the cruise.  Suggestions?  I do seem to recall someone mentioning there are vans/taxi's etc from the ship.  But for a group of 9, what is out there on the day of debarkation?  Or, can transportation be arranged upon boarding the ship? We will be leaving from Ft. Lauderdale January 3rd.

I suppose the real problem is that there are three adults and one of them is non-English speaking.  This would make things a bit difficult in terms of communication. The other passengers would be children. Personally, I have never used a taxi. By any chance have people seen or used mini-van "taxi's" ?

• 3 months later...

Yep always take taxis for about $12 one way from Port Everglades to the airport, very plentiful

when you get off the boat. good luck should be a great week to cruise

Michelle - would you say that for a family of four taking two taxis is a reasonable plan?

This is going to be one of those "savings vs convenience" kind of thing. There is -0- doubt that taxis are the cheapest option - especially at Port Everglades/Fort Lauderdale. The trip is quite short and direct....and there are lots of taxis available at the terminal.

HOWEVER, if you are concerned about keeping the group together and you fear a communications issue or for whatever reason you just don't want to break the group up I suggest making a reservation for a private shuttle (I assume that is what the above link is all about...didn't try the link so I don't know for sure). I will say, from personal experience (this occurred in Miami, not FLL) that the private van option for a large group I was with a couple of years ago on NCL Epic turned into a nightmare. We waited and waited out in the cold for the van and finally ended up having to take taxis in the end and nearly had to sue to get our money back from the shuttle company. Don't let my one bad experience scare you. I'm sure there are plenty of others who have used private shuttles and had wonderful experiences.

My very last recommendation would be to book the transportation from the ship to the airport through RCI. I use their bus service ONLY at Orlando/Port Canaveral and overseas b/c it is expensive and well...it's a bus. No class whatsoever. You cannot take your carryon inside the bus with you unless it is VERY small. It's kind of like a cattle call BUT it will get your group there all at once and it is guaranteed to get you to your flight on time. So if keeping your group together is more important than cost, I would say private shuttle or RCI bus.