Sting Ray City (Grand Cayman)

UkuleleCruiser

My wife did this years ago, and we tried to do it once a few few years ago, but bad weather cancelled it. So, here we go again, this coming February. What experiences did everyone have? My mom is interested in this, but of course she also wants to shop. I said i thought there would be plenty of time to shop in the little village after the excursion. Is that true? or will we be pushed for time getting back?

No shopping in GC. It’s too expensive !

Sting ray city is fun but the last time we were there it was VERY crowded.  There were a dozen boats anchored and literally hundreds of people feeding the stingrays.  I would probably find out how many ships will be in port with you and if it’s more than a couple I might consider doing it another time.

The first time I went to Stingray City (back in the 80s when GC was a quiet diving destination only) we were the only boat there and had the place to ourselves. My how things have changed !

It was crowded when we went, April 2016.  Fun, except my wife really wanted to feed them, but people grabbed handfuls of food, instead of 1 piece per person, so she didn't get to.  Then, trying to get a picture with one was a pain because of a family from a different culture just shoved their way in front of us.  She finally shoved them out of the way, once they had their turn but wouldn't let others in, and got her picture.  I mainly snorkeled with the rays on the edges, away from the main crowd of people.

14 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

No shopping in GC. It’s too expensive !

Well, if you like rum, they do sell a local rum that you will not find on any of the other Caribbean Islands. It's called BBD and you can't miss it in the shopping area at the port. Got to try some!:27_sunglasses: