Freedom of the Seas drydock rumors

Matt

Here's a list of what I've heard is coming to Freedom as part of her drydock. Emphasis on "heard", so assume none of this to be official 

• Hairspray will be performed
  • Crypt nightclub will be converted to a restaurant and staterooms
  • Diamond Club becoming Concierge Lounge
  • Card Club room will become new Diamond Club lounge
  • Portofino will be removed
  • New restaurants
    • Giovanni's Table
    • Izumi

Hi Matt.......new member here but long time lurker.  Just saw your inquiry about Sabor.  We just returned from a back to back on the Freedom last week so have some good news for you.  According to Capt. Thor at one of the top tier events, a Mexican restaurant (not named) is to go into the space where the Crypt is now located when she goes into the much needed dry dock refurbish.  During our first week (Nov 30-Dec 7) we sat in Nassau for two days while divers removed the main shaft propellers forcing loss of two port visits (St. Thomas and St. Martin).  It wasn't a big deal to us as we mostly cruise now for the ship experience since we have been to most of the Caribbean islands on past cruises.  

Thought you might want to know what we heard from the man that ought to know!

Happy Holidays!  

Hi Matt.......new member here but long time lurker.  Just saw your inquiry about Sabor.  We just returned from a back to back on the Freedom last week so have some good news for you.  According to Capt. Thor at one of the top tier events, a Mexican restaurant (not named) is to go into the space where the Crypt is now located when she goes into the much needed dry dock refurbish.  During our first week (Nov 30-Dec 7) we sat in Nassau for two days while divers removed the main shaft propellers forcing loss of two port visits (St. Thomas and St. Martin).  It wasn't a big deal to us as we mostly cruise now for the ship experience since we have been to most of the Caribbean islands on past cruises.  

Thought you might want to know what we heard from the man that ought to know!

Happy Holidays!  

Welcome OBX! So glad to hear that news.  I really hope that's true

• 2 weeks later...

Any chance we will see any of the Quantum features on the Freedom?  Besides the Jewel, Freedom, and Liberty (might be missing 1 or 2) almost all the ships have been in dry dock since Oasis Class.  

Perhaps, Michael's pub/Jamie's Italian start to spread fleet wide?  I wouldn't be surprised if Royal pulls a wildcard here.  

Any chance we will see any of the Quantum features on the Freedom?  Besides the Jewel, Freedom, and Liberty (might be missing 1 or 2) almost all the ships have been in dry dock since Oasis Class.  

Perhaps, Michael's pub/Jamie's Italian start to spread fleet wide?  I wouldn't be surprised if Royal pulls a wildcard here.  

Freedom was last in drydock in 2011 but anything is possible.  

Surprising cupcake board did not go away. The charms were on clearance and the crew member running it had every indication that she had to find a new position and hated to see it close. She had heard the excursion desk was moving to the spot to expand with kiosks.

(Dream music playing in background) If I were in charge for a day... Step 1: podcast listeners get suites for interior pricing... Step 2: Soft serve machines in every elevator waiting area on each floor... Step 3: Sabor on every ship immediately, and half price for those amazing podcast folks.

I approve!

• 6 months later...

What does a typical refurbishment include? Liberty of the Seas is scheduled but I can't find info on what will happen beyond the slides being installed. Is it possible for decor change or carpets replaced?

Hate to give you this answer but... it depends.

It definitely is possible for there to be new carpeting or decor.  Each ship's refurbishment scope seems to vary. 

As an example, Freedom of the Seas did not get any water slides but sister ship Liberty of the Seas will be getting three.