Caribbean Beach Excursions

Ray

@Matt who runs this site did a blog on free beaches a few weeks ago but it doesn't include the islands you have mentioned here.  There are some points from it though that are relevant.  

Most islands will have a free or public beach as technically most beaches are not owned privately.  Free beach meaning a place you can sit in the sand but often that is it.  Facilities including restrooms, fresh water showers to rinse off, etc. are often private and in many cases owned by nearby resorts on the beach. They typically are for their guests and not available to the public.   Food and beverage for purchase, loungers, chairs and umbrellas are sometimes available for an additional charge.

I've not cruised to Antigua yet, only flown there, so I can't comment on beaches close to that port.  St Maarten has a beach close to the port within walking distance if you don't mind a 10-15 minute walk or there are water taxis available at a small cost.  St Kitts, St Lucia and Barbados require transportation either purchased from the ship or purchased on your own (taxi, public transit, etc.).   

"Resort for a day" are a popular choice for many as they include the facilities of the resort and in some cases include food and/or beverages.  Often they feature a fresh water pool, restrooms, loungers and umbrellas and swim up bar service.  Amenities vary. These are available through the cruise line or independently.  

Thanks for that, since we are only in ports a short period I personally don’t want to be sitting on a beach for 3 to 4 hrs when there will be lots of new sights to see. Sitting on the sand for half an hour watching the world go by as the sun sets is good enough for me :)