Liquor

hello all....19 days and we are sailing away.....so damn excited....first cruise ever.....not sure what exactly to expect....but we did get us a pretty nice room...JS....I know it's at the bottom of the suites, but we decided to go all out....and that was the highest we could afford to go....in talking with everyone, I was told that if I could afford it to get a room with a balcony....so that is what we did...I have so ENJOYED this forum....so many extremely nice people here....thanks to all that have answered all my questions....

My question this time is what is the deal with bringing liquor back from Mexico....everybody is asking me to bring them back some liquor...is it cheaper to by liquor there and if so how much are you allowed to bring back.....not sure I understand at all what the deal is....any help would greatly be appericated.....

Welcome!

Compared to the US and Canada alcohol is quite a bit cheaper in MX.  There are endless stores which sell liquor right near the port in Cozumel and other destinations.  That in mind, those are still tourist prices.  If you head to a grocery store (if you are talking about Cozumel, there are 2 within a mile or so of where you'll dock) then it's even cheaper.  For example, a bottle that might run $35 in the US could be $25 by the port, but may only be $10 or $15 at the grocery store.  Also note that often you're looking at 1L bottles at the port instead of 750ml bottles at home.

As far as what you can bring back, assuming you're from the US, they say you can bring back a liter per person over 21.  What they don't explain is that you can bring back more - but you may be taxed.  I've brought back quite a bit more than this easily a dozen times though and haven't had an issue.  I think they're just trying to prevent reselling, so a couple brining back 4 bottles isn't a concern.  In the unlikely event they did want to take the time to do paperwork and collect the duties however, my guess is you'd still come out ahead - but I've not run into this.  Again, I can't promise your results will be like mine, but it's not been an issue after many trips - in fact they often don't even ask if you're brining liquor back.

Please let me know if I can offer any clarification.

Concur with @monorailmedic. I have frequently exceeded my duty free allowances but I declare everything and have never had an issue. 

If you are cruising from Galveston, TX be aware that the state of TX has their own duty laws that apply to all liquor coming into the state.  Right after clearing US customs you will be directed to the state duty collectors who will charge for every bottle, but its nominal.  

Ask in the liquor store on the ship if they will match the price you find in town.  You will need to take a picture of the bottle with the posted price showing.  I have done this on two occasions.  Must be the same item of course.  Also you should know your local prices for 1L  bottles.  It may not be enough of a difference to lug all those bottles home.  Especially if your flying.  

I definitely agree with checking some prices before you go.  I was a little disappointed when I found out that a lot of what I brought home last year wasn't 

quite as great a deal as I thought, although Craig is spot on when he points out that most of what you find will be the larger 1liter bottles, so better ounce to ounce.

I brought this home last year, and was never questioned when we went through customs (using a porter is the way to go).  Still have plenty if any of y'all wanna come over for a drinkie.

Liquor from Cruise.jpg

My god, I would be in heaven if I could bring that back. Strict limit for Canadians is about 38oz....now because a lot of bottles out there are 26 oz, they will usually allow 52oz to come back but over that, chances are you are paying.

And at $1 per ounce duty being charged on anything over that, its just not worth it....Always some stupid rule being Canadian...:40_rage::61_sob:

14 hours ago, blueyes1961 said:

we did get us a pretty nice room...JS....I know it's at the bottom of the suites, but we decided to go all out....and that was the highest we could afford to go....in talking with everyone, I was told that if I could afford it to get a room with a balcony....

While on the ship try to check balcony staterooms and compare with your JS. You can decide what to do for your next cruise. Yes it will be next cruise and next... Try to book one onboard (NEXTCRUISE) to get extra OBC :)

in my books balcony is a must but JS in not worth extra $$ unless you are collecting double points for next level of C&A

Enjoy your cruise ! :)

On 11/2/2017 at 1:54 AM, twangster said:

Concur with @monorailmedic. I have frequently exceeded my duty free allowances but I declare everything and have never had an issue. 

If you are cruising from Galveston, TX be aware that the state of TX has their own duty laws that apply to all liquor coming into the state.  Right after clearing US customs you will be directed to the state duty collectors who will charge for every bottle, but its nominal.  

Good point -thanks.  I've never cruised out of TX so while I've heard this I kinda forgot about it.

For those sailing with stops in the US Virgin Islands, if you buy 1 liter of liquor produced in an insular US Territory (like the USVI), you are allowed to bring 5 liters back in total duty free, from anywhere - as long as 1 of the 5 is from the USVI.  

I'd recommend what @arebee purchased - Bone's Rum from St. Thomas IIRC.  I had it last year at the Miami Rum Renaisannce festival and quite enjoyed it.

On 11/2/2017 at 11:04 AM, monctonguy said:

My god, I would be in heaven if I could bring that back. Strict limit for Canadians is about 38oz....now because a lot of bottles out there are 26 oz, they will usually allow 52oz to come back but over that, chances are you are paying.

And at $1 per ounce duty being charged on anything over that, its just not worth it....Always some stupid rule being Canadian...:40_rage::61_sob:

LOL, I have a buddy from Spain that brought back three (3!) suitcases full of rum from a cruise we were on together (we toured a bunch of distilleries in the southern Caribbean on Adventure OTS last year).  Since each bottle was different, the just let him through since they figured he wasn't reselling/serving them at a bar.

If you're ever going to Madrid let me know as I know of a bar with a large rum section. :)

haha...I am not sure about that.....I am not a big beer drinker, but sure our beer is somewhat different but not sure better. Then again, I only drink Miller Lite and Coors...and at $15 for a 6pack or $26 for a dozen, I don't think the price is worth it, even if it was slightly better????!