Dining package question

Neaxan

Now that dining is available on the cruise planner for our Symphony TA I'm struggling to decide which packages to buy.  We would like to try each restaurant at least once but we're definetly also planning on dining in the MDR a few times. The Ultimate Dining Package doesn't make sense for us - it's highly unlikely that we'll eat anything besides a sandwich or salad for lunch. We're going to buy the 5 night dining package - so that would be Jamie's, Chops, 150 CP, Izumi and Wonderland once each but I guess Hooked will also be specialty dining (not available on the cruise planner right now). Is it possible to combine the 5 night package with the BOGO 2 night package? It isn't listed as restricted but I'm not sure if they'll allow to use the first reservation for the 5 night package to be on day 3 as you'd have to use BOGO on first and second night. Has anyone ever tried that combination? Another idea would be FNDR but it isn't available in the cruise planner - how do you book that?

Worst case we'll just pay full price for Hooked but I'd prefer doing 5 night and BOGO. I'm thinking it might be nice to do Wonderland twice to be able to try most of the items offered - between the two of us I see no way to try everything in one sitting. And I know I'm way overplanning this but can you find out what will be served in the MDR for the whole cruise so you can plan your specialty dining around it?

Sorry for the bunch of questions, hope one of you Royal pros can shed some light on this dining package mystery :5_smiley:

4 hours ago, Matt said:

In short, you cannot combine dining packages.  The reason being all dining packages require you to take the first meal on night 1 or night 2. 

That's what I feared. So be it, 5 night package and I'll book the cheapest restaurant solo once more information about Hooked is out. Thanks for the information.

3 hours ago, twangster said:

The 5 night package seems like a winner for a cruise this long.  Good mix of MDR and specialty.

Exactly, for a week-long cruise it would really be too much for us but for 12 nights it's perfect. Maybe see you on the cruise :13_upside_down:

1 hour ago, F1guynz said:

Could you not use the first night for a 5 night DP and the second night for a 2 or 3 night DP and the remaining nights at your choice?

I found it annoying for Ovation cruise they are only offering the ultimate DP or nothing.

All dining packages start the 1st night (up here).  The 1st couple of nights trend towards lower reservations but especially so on day 1.  All cruise lines face this with specialty dining.   I suspect the dining packages all start on day 1 to help fill the specialty restaurants on day 1 as an incentive to spend more but at a reduced cost compared to buying specialty dining individually.    Fill the specialty venues on day 1, expose customers to the product, hope they'll spread the word and that leads to more people booking them on board.  

Unsure why Ovation doesn't do so yet but RCI studies trends, run trials, adapts.   Maybe they will soon, or maybe they don't need to in that market.

21 hours ago, F1guynz said:

Could you not use the first night for a 5 night DP and the second night for a 2 or 3 night DP and the remaining nights at your choice?

I guess that might be possible for 5+3 as they each only require that the first reservation is either day 1 or day 2, but 8x specialty dining on the packages plus Izumi Hibachi is a bit much. Unfortunately the 2 night package offered is only for day 1 and day 2.

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/31/2017 at 2:11 PM, Neaxan said:

I'm thinking it might be nice to do Wonderland twice to be able to try most of the items offered - between the two of us I see no way to try everything in one sitting.

Not sure that you can do Wonderland twice. Last year on Anthem we were told that you could only visit it once, all other restaurants you can visit more than once.

3 hours ago, HighlandBoy said:

Not sure that you can do Wonderland twice. Last year on Anthem we were told that you could only visit it once, all other restaurants you can visit more than once.

That would've only been an option had we booked two packages. As that doesn't work out we'll be going once.