travel with minors / grandkids - need your help.

Hannah

I'm sailing with minor / grandchildren. Do I need permission documents from both parents or can I just have one parent sign/notarized paper - along with birth certificate and state ID. I do have a document signed by one parent but not both. Will this keep me from sailing?

From what I understand, an original notarized letter signed by at least one of the child's parents. The notarized letter from the child's parent must authorize the traveling adult to take the child on the specific cruise, must authorize guardian to sign legal documentation/waivers for participation in any activities requiring them (i.e. Rock Climbing, Flowrider, Bungee Trampoline, Inline Skating, or Ice Skating) and must authorize the traveling adult to supervise the child and permit any medical treatment that must be administered to the child.

I would suggest contacting RC directly and confirming this before your sail date.

I would definitely confirm with RC. If you have time and is possible, I strongly suggest you get the other parent to also do a notarized letter.  While they may not even ask for it, they could deny you and your family boarding since you don't have permission from both parents to take the child out of the country. I would hope it would be easier to get a notarized letter than deal with the disappointment of not cruising. Here's what they say in the FAQ:

What if I'm traveling with a minor and I'm not the parent or legal guardian - Royal Caribbean International Q: What if I'm traveling with a minor and I'm not the parent or legal guardian? A: Adults who are not the parent or legal guardian of a minor traveling with them must present an original notarized letter signed by the child's parent(s), authorizing the adult to take the child on the specific cruise, supervise the child and allow emergency medical treatment to be administered. Please note: An individual's age on the date of sailing determines his or her status for the entire cruise vacation.

13 hours ago, Hannah said:

I'm sailing with minor / grandchildren. Do I need permission documents from both parents or can I just have one parent sign/notarized paper - along with birth certificate and state ID. I do have a document signed by one parent but not both. Will this keep me from sailing?

Best to have document from both parents.

Talking about children - not to hijack the thread - do we need additional vaccinations? they currently do get the recommended immunizations.

35 minutes ago, Tampaite said:

Talking about children - not to hijack the thread - do we need additional vaccinations? they currently do get the recommended immunizations.

Typically not for the Caribbean or Alaska.  Unsure for other parts of the world.

You could mention it to your doctor, see what they think.

You can create a free Permission to Travel Letter here (https://www.lawdepot.com/contracts/child-travel-consent/#.Wfy0TWhSwuV) and edit it as necessary. I have heard of boarding being denied when both parents (or proof of sole custody or death of the other parent) have been provided. Such permission is a requirement for any travel of minor outside of their home country and originated in 1980 with the Hague Convention on the Civil Aspects of Internation Child Abduction and is supported by the United States by treaty. You can read more here (https://www.hcch.net/en/instruments/conventions/full-text/?cid=24) if you want.