What to do in St-Lucia

cjappert

We will be doing a stop in St-Lucia on January 19th. We are 2 adults and 3 kids ages 10, 5 and 3.I just realized, that my parents ( who are sailing with celebrity ) will also be doing a port stop in St-Lucia on the same day! We would love to do something all together, but since we are on 2 different ships, a shore excursion wouldn't work. Any other ideas? good beaches to visit near by?

As I recall, the main attraction of St Lucia is the Pitons, and they are a bit of a distance away from where the cruise ships dock.

When I went there, we balked at the cost and time in a car (we had young children at the time), and opted for a close beach. It was nothing special, so can't say I have any personal recommendations to offer.

First time I went to St. Lucia we booked with a local company:  Cosol Tours.  Local owner (but ex-US.MIL).  It was a fantastic day hitting all the island highlights.  Don't know about kids though, they might not be too impressed.  

With the size and ages in your groupI would NOT recommend any tours that involve what they call a bus. The roads are very narrow, steep inclines/declines, a lot of switch backs and an overall recipe for motion sickness. Also, if there is traffic you run the risk of getting back to the ship late. I speak from experience, won't do THAT again! Some years ago we did a beach excursion that was at a resort and it included a nice lunch. We booked it through Royal. We were transported on a small bus which was ok because the road was flat and we didn't have to travel very far, less than 30 minutes.:27_sunglasses:

Be aware there are two cruise piers and terminals in St Lucia.  One is on the cargo side of the harbor, the other on the opposite side of the harbor.  Depending where the two ships dock you may need to pre-establish a rendezvous point if all parties won't have wifi, text or cell phone service.  It's a bit of a walk between terminals.

In this photo I found online you can see one ship at the cargo dock at the bottom of the harbor and other ships at Point Seraphine closer to the airport.  I've used both.

St-Lucia-Cruise-Prort-Map.jpg

Another thing to know is that the pier is being extended and the harbor dredged to accommodate mega ships but like a lot things on islands, it's behind schedule and some ships are having last minute alternate ports swapped in to accommodate construction.  Just an FYI in case you or they find out they are changing this port to another.