Serenade vs. Silhouette

eaglesfaninfl

Have booked a cruise on Serenade Feb. 2019 but I am looking at a Celebrity Silhouette cruise, roughly the same timeframe and almost identical itinerary (roughly comparable costs). Have never cruised Celebrity before and was thinking of trying something different for a change. Thanks in advance for any thoughts, comments, comparisons, etc., they will be appreciated!

I'd probably opt for Celebrity for a change, but I've found the mix of passengers on Royal to be the best overall. The entertainment isn't quite as good in my opinion, but they do have some great love music. I do think the food is better, but that's a very subjective personal opinion. However, you will find more made to order items in the buffet and items on the MDR menu that can only be found in specialty restaurants aboard Royal. 

Take a chance on Celebrity. As an RCI cruiser you will find things more familiar than different. If you are Platinum or above on Crown and Anchor you can transfer your loyalty to Celebrity's Captains Club.  Platinum C and A is equal to Select in Captain's Club.  The Solstice Class ships are beautiful.  We were on Reflection this past summer. It is bigger than Silouette but never had a big ship feel to it. We love RCI but find things just a bit more upscale on Celebrity. Good luck in your decision.

On 10/28/2017 at 4:27 PM, eaglesfaninfl said:

Have booked a cruise on Serenade Feb. 2019 but I am looking at a Celebrity Silhouette cruise, roughly the same timeframe and almost identical itinerary (roughly comparable costs). Have never cruised Celebrity before and was thinking of trying something different for a change. Thanks in advance for any thoughts, comments, comparisons, etc., they will be appreciated!

I cruise nearly all lines and find Celebrity does a great job being a "middle ground" for me.  Slightly quieter environment without being void of activity.  On most sailings you'll find an older average age, but largely because there aren't as many families - not because most most cruisers are in their 80s.  The overall feeling is just a bit more relaxed and less "party".  Slightly better passenger:staff and passenger:space ratios which is nice.  Now, if you're looking for high-activity stuff like rock walls, flowriders, then you won't find those things on X (not that you'd find a flowrider on Serenade, but you get the idea).   

On 10/31/2017 at 8:18 AM, monctonguy said:

Interesting...even platinum level gets recognized on Celebrity? Is this something you need to let them know ahead of time or once aboard or will it automatically recognize?

If you create your online account with the exact same information (as if your b-day or name would change across lines...) then it should be automatic.  You can verify this by creating a Captains Club account on Celebrity's site and then seeing if it assigns you a higher level even though you've not cruised yet.  I'm not sure if this happens right away or if you need to give it a few days - but for me it was automatic.