Dragon's Tail - pay on Labadee?

cbnsoul

@rjac, actually it looks like you can purchase tickets when you're on the island. I found this thread on CruiseCritic that has multiple accounts of people buying their tickets when they got there, and not in advance.

The only caveat that I see is that the Oasis class ships apparently don't typically offer the all-day pass, simply due to the sheer number of passengers. But the thread did note a time where the coaster was doing slow business that day, so they changed the rules for that one sailing and allowed purchasing the all-day passes.

53 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

@rjac, actually it looks like you can purchase tickets when you're on the island. I found this thread on CruiseCritic that has multiple accounts of people buying their tickets when they got there, and not in advance.

Well, there you go! Just hope cbnsoul reads your post.:27_sunglasses:

Thanks for the update.  We are on the Harmony in June and, at least as of now, we can get the all day pass.  I was watching some videos about Labadee and saw a sign saying something to the effect of "coaster booking" so figured that on-island reservations may be an option but wasn't sure

On 10/28/2017 at 2:05 PM, rjac said:

Pretty sure that's something you have to book before you get there. If you book it ahead of time and decide once you are on board you can always cancel 24 hrs. before your scheduled time for a full refund. 

The 24hr cancel rule has been changed to 48hrs if I remember correctly.  I agree though, book before boarding.

1 hour ago, twangster said:

Any restrictions on cameras or GoPro on the coaster?

Is it really just a kiddie thing?

Nice views from it?

twangster,

You be the judge the ride is like 3:15 minutes long, don't know the cost. Check this link out. The first 1:30 minutes are pretty sedate/boring, then WOW! https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&ei=6BH6WaryLsnRjAP5y73oAQ&q=dragon's+tail+coaster&oq=dragon's+tail&gs_l=psy-ab.1.1.0l10.975.4794.0.9714.14.13.0.0.0.0.186.1737.0j10.10.0....0...1.1.64.psy-ab..4.10.1737.0..0i131k1j0i3k1.0._FD4TpLhlB4

:27_sunglasses:

Just now, rjac said:

twangster,

You be the judge the ride is like 3:15 minutes long, don't know the cost. Check this link out. The first 1:30 minutes are pretty sedate/boring, then WOW! https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&ei=6BH6WaryLsnRjAP5y73oAQ&q=dragon's+tail+coaster&oq=dragon's+tail&gs_l=psy-ab.1.1.0l10.975.4794.0.9714.14.13.0.0.0.0.186.1737.0j10.10.0....0...1.1.64.psy-ab..4.10.1737.0..0i131k1j0i3k1.0._FD4TpLhlB4

I searched Youtube and watched some videos.  Looks like fun.  $26 per ride or $36 all day pass in advance.

I've watched several YouTube videos of this ride, there are definitely not restrictions on GoPro or phone use for recording. Just make sure of two things:

1. Whatever device you use is secured to your person in case you lose your grip or it comes loose from the mount
  2. If you're using a device hand-held, test the hand brake on the car before you get going and make sure you can manage it one-handed. Even if you plan to ride at full speed (>30 mph), there is a section at the end where it says clearly that you must slow down. If you can't control the brakes well with one hand, put your camera away.

I've also observed from those videos that people are basically free to go down at whatever speed is comfortable, so if you want to take video you can slow down a bit and be ready to capture the vistas that open up during the ride. Looks like there are two points where you get a great view of the ship.

7 minutes ago, twangster said:

I like the one Youtube video where the girl and her bf are all nice and comfy going up, then as they start down she is yelling "SLOW DOWN!  SLOW DOWN!!!"  :1_grinning:

To be fair, she was in the front seat that (as far as I can tell from all these videos) has no visible seat belt or other restraints. I suppose there might (must?) be a lap belt, but compared to the regular seatbelt you can see the boyfriend has on...

• 2 months later...

Hi! I purchased 1 x all day access of a Dragon’s Tail Coaster.  I have two sons.  Should I get each of them ?  I may misread but Cruise Planner discribed

UP TO 2 people...Still I couldn’t find right answer..  My son 16 &13. For me , It is going to be a big trouble If they deny one out at the site.  Is anyone experience for 2 people ride for 1 purchase of this ride ????

On 2017-11-01 at 2:34 PM, rjac said:

twangster,

I just called RCCL.  I still didn’t get it.  She said that price shown for all day pass/ one time are per person.  I have two sons.  So she said I have to get another pass. But she also said that one person invited one more.  Her answer confuse me a lot.  Please help me to understand ??

4 hours ago, J. Woody said:

Hi! I purchased 1 x all day access of a Dragon’s Tail Coaster.  I have two sons.  Should I get each of them ?  I may misread but Cruise Planner discribed

UP TO 2 people...Still I couldn’t find right answer..  My son 16 &13. For me , It is going to be a big trouble If they deny one out at the site.  Is anyone experience for 2 people ride for 1 purchase of this ride ????

The “cars” of the coaster seat up to two people. Rear person has a seat belt, second person sits directly in front of the other one and I think only gets a lap belt. Doing it this way, you should only need one ticket but I’d confirm that with a rep from RCI.

46 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

The “cars” of the coaster seat up to two people. Rear person has a seat belt, second person sits directly in front of the other one and I think only gets a lap belt. Doing it this way, you should only need one ticket but I’d confirm that with a rep from RCI.

Thank you JLMoran!!

Get the all day pass. Your ride experience is dependent on the cars in front of you.  If you get behind someone who is timid, you have to ride the brake the whole way down - very boring.  I rode 3x, 2 were fun, 1 was a dud.  I would have been disappointed if my only time down was behind the slow rider.

Your sons will be able to ride together or separate, whatever they choose.  They can mix it up.

I went right after securing my beach chair, and the lines were short.  After 3 rides (about 1 hr total between standing in line, waiting in your car, and the ride itself), lines got much longer.

On 2018-01-14 at 9:47 PM, Osu_buckeye said:

Get the all day pass. Your ride experience is dependent on the cars in front of you.  If you get behind someone who is timid, you have to ride the brake the whole way down - very boring.  I rode 3x, 2 were fun, 1 was a dud.  I would have been disappointed if my only time down was behind the slow rider.

Your sons will be able to ride together or separate, whatever they choose.  They can mix it up.

I went right after securing my beach chair, and the lines were short.  After 3 rides (about 1 hr total between standing in line, waiting in your car, and the ride itself), lines got much longer.

“ securing my beach chair”.... which beach is the closest to this coaster ride ?  There are so many name of the beach.  We also booked zip line.  Which beach should I go to “ securing beach chair”???

Thank you for your help.