On 11/3/2017 at 6:10 PM, twangster said:

When GST first hit Ontario the big thing as restaurant goers was to not tip on the final total but only to tip on the food or beverage subtotal.  With PST and GST being 15% of taxes it could make a big difference!

Interestingly enough when you are paying with your credit card they offer you convenience of pre-selected tip %. If you select % you are paying tip on amount WITH taxes. So by selecting 15% you end up paying almost 18% (in Ontario and Quebec) 

Solution: select other and enter 13%. It corresponds to ~15 % before taxes

• 10 months later...

I didn't want to start a new topic...but I couldn't find it anywhere here on my searches(well 4 pages in anyway) so figured I would just post/ask here as it is kinda related.

I am sure I saw a break down of who/what the daily grat goes to...so much to the  MDR..so much to your room attendant etc....does anyone know or have the link to that breakdown?!

1 hour ago, monctonguy said:

I didn't want to start a new topic...but I couldn't find it anywhere here on my searches(well 4 pages in anyway) so figured I would just post/ask here as it is kinda related.

I am sure I saw a break down of who/what the daily grat goes to...so much to the  MDR..so much to your room attendant etc....does anyone know or have the link to that breakdown?!

This is what I've seen posted before from when it was the old rate:

The automatic gratuity is $13.50 USD, or $16.50 USD for suite guests, applied to each guest's SeaPass® account on a daily basis. Here's how it is shared between your onboard service team:
Standard Staterooms:

$6.35 - Dining Services
    $3.45 - Stateroom Attendant
    $3.70 - Other Hotel Services

Suites:

$6.35 - Dining Services
    $6.10 - Suite Attendant
    $4.05 - Other Hotel Services

The base rate is $14.50 & $17.50 now, and I have a very strong suspicion they don't really split it up that way.  It just goes into a big pot for everybody that gets doled out based on individual performance reviews, survey ratings, where guests scan their cards & get upcharged, etc.  The website just says it's part of their incentive system and doesn't break it down any further anymore.

I flat out asked our bartender about the 18% gratuity that gets added to the drink package price.  He all but confirmed what we suspected--there's a system that tracks where you get drinks and that subsequently gets split up among bar management of the subsequent bars and finally to the servers themselves, but the actual person serving you sees pennies of that.

I hate to say it, but I'm convinced now that any included/pre-charged gratuities are just the cruise industry's way of paying their people less, and as guests we just can't count on any more than a pittance going to the people who actually serve us.  The only way to ensure that is to tip them beyond the pre-arranged amounts.