Thoughts from my Allure B2B Honeymoon

KLA

We're back! The wedding was amazing, and we had an absolutely incredible honeymoon. We both really enjoyed the Allure, and agreed that the two weeks were much needed. We didn't feel rushed to do everything on the ship, and the crew was absolutely amazing. If you're going to be boarding soon, visit Antony and Rex in the Schooner as well as Li and Marlon in the Pub! 

A few stray thoughts I had - 

• I was really, really impressed with the Oasis class. With most other ships that I've sailed on, they always seemed smaller in person after seeing them on YouTube. That was not the case with this ship. However, as others have mentioned, I really missed being able to see the ocean. It's easy to forget you're on a cruise ship. 
  • All of that said, unless I was cruising with family (particularly family that includes younger family members) or with a very large group, I don't know that I'd book the Oasis class again for just one week. 
  • If you are planning a honeymoon and want to sail on the Oasis class, I very highly recommend either considering sailing a B2B or sailing in a suite. 
  • Our first morning on board, we booked a spa appointment for a couples massage. 10/10 highly recommend - book early morning (8 AM appointment) to save a little bit of $$! It was the best possible way to start the cruise after a stressful day of (same day!) travel following our wedding! 
  • We dined at every specialty restaurant except for Chops (we've done it before) and Samba Grill (not big meat eaters)... and I guess Chef's Table, too, if you count that - I don't think we ever had a bad meal on board, even in the MDR and Windjammer. Our favorite specialty was Izumi (both the hibachi and sushi experiences) as well as Giovanni's Table. They still have a filet on the menu, which my husband (!!) greatly enjoyed. 150 Central Park was also a really wonderful experience and worth doing at least once. We had fun trying all the salts, and the Cucumber Martini really is as good as people have described. 
  • Don't forget the champagne bar! They have a lot of really fun and tasty martinis that are worth a try if you have the drink package! 
  • Food and drink fatigue is so, so real. 
  • Sabor guacamole also really is as good as people have mentioned, but we struggled to eat there for dinner - it's SO MUCH FOOD! We went more than once on Sea Days just to sit at the bar and have guac and margaritas, and that was our lunch! 
  • Not ship related, but port related - If you're going to do anything in Costa Maya that isn't a ship/third party excursion and you want to leave the port, just plan on taking a taxi door to door if you know specifically where  you're going. We had a pretty negative experience on the shuttle. Taxis are $2/pp whereas the shuttle is $3/pp. Walk out of the port area, and immediately there is a taxi stand. Taxis are readily available to bring you back to port as well.

I'm sure I'll think of more, but this is off the top of my head. If you have any questions, let me know! :D

WOOHOO !  Welcome home and congratulations !  I can't believe it's been 2 weeks already  !  We missed you while you were gone but we knew you were having a blast so it wasn't so bad.

I will be on Allure in 24 days. Can't wait !

I was actually up your way last week while you were gone.  I was on biz in Indianapolis but spent some off time down in Lawrenceburg.  I'm sure you can figure out where I went....:9_innocent:

32 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

WOOHOO !  Welcome home and congratulations !  I can't believe it's been 2 weeks already  !  We missed you while you were gone but we knew you were having a blast so it wasn't so bad.

I will be on Allure in 24 days. Can't wait !

I was actually up your way last week while you were gone.  I was on biz in Indianapolis but spent some off time down in Lawrenceburg.  I'm sure you can figure out where I went....:9_innocent:

Whaat! I have family in Lawrenceburg.... but yes I fully realize where you were now that you say that :4_joy:

And, THANK YOU! :D 

3 minutes ago, rjac said:

Welcome back Mrs....? So glad you and your husband had a great experience on the Allure. Sounds like you wined and dined from bow to stern, which is a good thing to do. How about the shows? Did you see them all?:27_sunglasses:

We saw Ocean Aria and Blue Planet - passed on Mama Mia and decided to relax rather than go to the headliner shows. We LOVED Ocean Aria - Blue Planet wasn't what I expected. It seemed like a modern version of a traditional style cruise music show ... if that makes sense! 

We also visited Comedy Live! which was really neat... one of the comedians was definitely better than the other! (Seriously back off on the "evil women" jokes. We get it. You're bitter.)

1 hour ago, KLAconQueso said:

We're back! The wedding was amazing, and we had an absolutely incredible honeymoon. We both really enjoyed the Allure, and agreed that the two weeks were much needed. We didn't feel rushed to do everything on the ship, and the crew was absolutely amazing. If you're going to be boarding soon, visit Antony and Rex in the Schooner as well as Li and Marlon in the Pub! 

• I was really, really impressed with the Oasis class. With most other ships that I've sailed on, they always seemed smaller in person after seeing them on YouTube. That was not the case with this ship. However, as others have mentioned, I really missed being able to see the ocean. It's easy to forget you're on a cruise ship. 
  • All of that said, unless I was cruising with family (particularly family that includes younger family members) or with a very large group, I don't know that I'd book the Oasis class again for just one week. 
  • If you are planning a honeymoon and want to sail on the Oasis class, I very highly recommend either considering sailing a B2B or sailing in a suite. 
  • Our first morning on board, we booked a spa appointment for a couples massage. 10/10 highly recommend - book early morning (8 AM appointment) to save a little bit of $$! It was the best possible way to start the cruise after a stressful day of (same day!) travel following our wedding! 
  • We dined at every specialty restaurant except for Chops (we've done it before) and Samba Grill (not big meat eaters)... and I guess Chef's Table, too, if you count that - I don't think we ever had a bad meal on board, even in the MDR and Windjammer. Our favorite specialty was Izumi (both the hibachi and sushi experiences) as well as Giovanni's Table. They still have a filet on the menu, which my husband (!!) greatly enjoyed. 150 Central Park was also a really wonderful experience and worth doing at least once. We had fun trying all the salts, and the Cucumber Martini really is as good as people have described. 
  • Don't forget the champagne bar! They have a lot of really fun and tasty martinis that are worth a try if you have the drink package! 
  • Sabor guacamole also really is as good as people have mentioned, but we struggled to eat there for dinner - it's SO MUCH FOOD! We went more than once on Sea Days just to sit at the bar and have guac and margaritas, and that was our lunch! 
  • Not ship related, but port related - If you're going to do anything in Costa Maya that isn't a ship/third party excursion and you want to leave the port, just plan on taking a taxi door to door if you know specifically where  you're going. We had a pretty negative experience on the shuttle. Taxis are $2/pp whereas the shuttle is $3/pp. Walk out of the port area, and immediately there is a taxi stand. Taxis are readily available to bring you back to port as well.

I'm sure I'll think of more, but this is off the top of my head. If you have any questions, let me know! :D

Glad you had a great time! Welcome back!

I hope you have an easier time than us getting back to real life. Still struggling here. :57_cry:

2 hours ago, KLAconQueso said:

Welcome back and congrats!   Thanks for the stray thoughts on the Allure (we are sailing in Oct for our 25th).  I had read and listened to lots of posts about being disconnected to the sea so we booked an ocean facing balcony as one of my favorite stress releases is watching the ocean water go by on the sea days.   I'm curious about comment #2 on not booking again for just a week.  I'm guessing that's because there's just too much to do and you can't fit it all in.  

Hey @KLAconQueso....Awesome that you had a great honeymoon!  Can you provide more details on that last point about Costa Maya?  Our cruise on Dec 2 has been re-routed there but I have never been there before.  We were not thinking of doing any excursions but we were planning just to get off the ship and maybe walk around.  Are there shops etc. in the port area?  What is that general area like? And is it safe?

1 hour ago, FManke said:

Glad you had a great time! Welcome back!

I hope you have an easier time than us getting back to real life. Still struggling here. :57_cry:

Awwe! Thanks! I hope your cruise was wonderful! 

Unfortunately we had somewhat of an emergency come up the day after we got back - so we had a nice quick jolt back to reality! Ready to go back now... hahahaa.

29 minutes ago, mbk999 said:

Welcome back and congrats!   Thanks for the stray thoughts on the Allure (we are sailing in Oct for our 25th).  I had read and listened to lots of posts about being disconnected to the sea so we booked an ocean facing balcony as one of my favorite stress releases is watching the ocean water go by on the sea days.   I'm curious about comment #2 on not booking again for just a week.  I'm guessing that's because there's just too much to do and you can't fit it all in.  

Yes - there's just SO much to do, and it takes a lot of planning to make sure you can get to everything. The two weeks allowed us to really take things slow and at our own pace, and even allowed for a night or two where we rented movies in the room and ordered room service junk food. It was great! 

I'm definitely glad we had the ocean view balcony - I feel like that's the only time we saw the ocean. We were aft near the entrance to the boardwalk on deck 6, and that was an amazing location. 

9 minutes ago, Sabrinaklai said:

Hey @KLAconQueso....Awesome that you had a great honeymoon!  Can you provide more details on that last point about Costa Maya?  Our cruise on Dec 2 has been re-routed there but I have never been there before.  We were not thinking of doing any excursions but we were planning just to get off the ship and maybe walk around.  Are there shops etc. in the port area?  What is that general area like? And is it safe?

9 minutes ago, DDemuth said:

Welcome back!  Sounds like a great cruise.  150 Central Park and the Champagne Bar; two of my favorite places.  Will be stopping in Costa Maya in November; can I ask what turned you off re: the shuttle?

The cruise port itself at Costa Maya is massive - think like Falmouth and Cozumel cruise terminals put together. Lots of shopping, lots of bars, and even a huge free pool with a swim up bar that you can use! 

Directly outside of the port, there's really nothing. You have to either take the shuttle or a cab to get to the beachfront or downtown areas. My huge issues is how pushy EVERYONE was outside the port (or, even inside the port if they realize you want to shop). On the shuttle, at the first drop there was a worker from a nearby beach bar that started yelling 'OKAY THIS WAY TO THE FREE BEACH!', and I think people had assumed that that was someone who worked for the cruise terminal to take them to the free beach. We were trying to go to Krazy Lobster, and they told us to go to the second stop. However, since everyone thought that that was *THE* free beach at the first stop, we were two of four people left on the shuttle. Since there were so few of us, we got yelled at (or catcalled) a lot from the shuttle, and I personally don't do well with that kind of thing and that's where I start to feel uncomfortable regardless of the situation. We got off at the second stop (and a bystander yelled at us to make sure we tipped the driver) and there was another person trying to take us to 'their' free beach. We tried asking where Krazy Lobster was, and they were like 'eh, that way' in a general direction. At that point, I realized we weren't going to get a good answer from anyone, and given that I was already uncomfortable I wasn't about to go wander around. I immediately requested a taxi, and back to port we went... where we proceeded to unsuccessfully wait 20 minutes for a margarita before giving up.

SO - if you're going to go out in to town, either 1) take a taxi directly to where you want to be (Krazy Lobster, Maya Chan, etc) or 2) be aware that a lot of people are kind of pushy and will try and hassle you to go to their beach club. 

3 minutes ago, KLAconQueso said:

The cruise port itself at Costa Maya is massive - think like Falmouth and Cozumel cruise terminals put together. Lots of shopping, lots of bars, and even a huge free pool with a swim up bar that you can use! 

Directly outside of the port, there's really nothing. You have to either take the shuttle or a cab to get to the beachfront or downtown areas. My huge issues is how pushy EVERYONE was outside the port (or, even inside the port if they realize you want to shop). On the shuttle, at the first drop there was a worker from a nearby beach bar that started yelling 'OKAY THIS WAY TO THE FREE BEACH!', and I think people had assumed that that was someone who worked for the cruise terminal to take them to the free beach. We were trying to go to Krazy Lobster, and they told us to go to the second stop. However, since everyone thought that that was *THE* free beach at the first stop, we were two of four people left on the shuttle. Since there were so few of us, we got yelled at (or catcalled) a lot from the shuttle, and I personally don't do well with that kind of thing and that's where I start to feel uncomfortable regardless of the situation. We got off at the second stop (and a bystander yelled at us to make sure we tipped the driver) and there was another person trying to take us to 'their' free beach. We tried asking where Krazy Lobster was, and they were like 'eh, that way' in a general direction. At that point, I realized we weren't going to get a good answer from anyone, and given that I was already uncomfortable I wasn't about to go wander around. I immediately requested a taxi, and back to port we went... where we proceeded to unsuccessfully wait 20 minutes for a margarita before giving up.

SO - if you're going to go out in to town, either 1) take a taxi directly to where you want to be (Krazy Lobster, Maya Chan, etc) or 2) be aware that a lot of people are kind of pushy and will try and hassle you to go to their beach club. 

Wow.  I would have been super uncomfortable in that situation too.  Seeing that we are not adventurous people that might be a "walk around the port and back relax by the pool" day for us.  Thanks for the heads up.

11 minutes ago, KLAconQueso said:

Yes - there's just SO much to do, and it takes a lot of planning to make sure you can get to everything. The two weeks allowed us to really take things slow and at our own pace, and even allowed for a night or two where we rented movies in the room and ordered room service junk food. It was great! 

I'm definitely glad we had the ocean view balcony - I feel like that's the only time we saw the ocean. We were aft near the entrance to the boardwalk on deck 6, and that was an amazing location. 

Planning I can handle (lots of years planning personal Disney vacations).  We're more mid-ship but a view is a view...

10 minutes ago, KLAconQueso said:

Thanks.  A cab it will be, then.

So sorry to hear about the drama in Mahahual.  I know exactly what you're saying though....you kinda have to know where you're going.  Even when you get there (we love the KL) you still have to deal with the strolling trinket vendors, which are something of a nuisance.  So many people never leave the compound (and it IS a really nice compound, as compounds go) but for me, Mahahual is the perfect beach experience.  I usually avoid the beach - it's usually a lot of work - but that beach is easy in, easy out and lots of good, inexpensive food and drinks.  Sorry you had a bad experience.  Next time !

3 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

So sorry to hear about the drama in Mahahual.  I know exactly what you're saying though....you kinda have to know where you're going.  Even when you get there (we love the KL) you still have to deal with the strolling trinket vendors, which are something of a nuisance.  So many people never leave the compound (and it IS a really nice compound, as compounds go) but for me, Mahahual is the perfect beach experience.  I usually avoid the beach - it's usually a lot of work - but that beach is easy in, easy out and lots of good, inexpensive food and drinks.  Sorry you had a bad experience.  Next time !

Yep! I know what to do next time around. :) Not going to let it deter me TOO much, that whole first experience was just a bit overwhelming for me. Haha! 

1 hour ago, KLAconQueso said:

SO - if you're going to go out in to town, either 1) take a taxi directly to where you want to be (Krazy Lobster, Maya Chan, etc) or 2) be aware that a lot of people are kind of pushy and will try and hassle you to go to their beach club

Welcome back and Congratulations!!  I'm glad you mentioned this about this port as we are stopping there in January 92019).  My gut was telling me just to stay on the ship as I wasn't impressed with what I saw, so we may just do that.  I hope everything cleared up too with your emergency and back to normal.  Again Congratulations!!

I was recently aft deck 6 with a balcony on Harmony and I loved the location.  On other Oasis class I was higher up and the ocean seemed so far away.   You can go down to the jogging track and get some ocean time, there are a couple of chairs on the stern below the aqua theater with a nice views aft plus a few other places along the jogging track to peep out.  

Enjoyed some of your scopes, thanks for those and congratulations!

5 hours ago, KLAconQueso said:

Food and drink fatigue is so, so real. 

I cannot imagine how bad that gets on a back to back.  

Something I try to remind myself of is to eat more on a schedule like I do at home (i.e. not eating every 2 hours).

17 minutes ago, Matt said:

I cannot imagine how bad that gets on a back to back.  

Something I try to remind myself of is to eat more on a schedule like I do at home (i.e. not eating every 2 hours).

It kind of turned in to eating breakfast (smoked salmon, fried eggs, maybe some rice, maybe a hash brown, fruit), having a snack (Sabor guac, little sandwich or two from Cafe Promenade), and then saving room for dinner. 

We kept having to change the drinks up - I got really sick of vodka soda after the first week, but did discover that Patron and pineapple juice is my new favorite pool drink! 

4 hours ago, KLAconQueso said:

Yep! I know what to do next time around. :) Not going to let it deter me TOO much, that whole first experience was just a bit overwhelming for me. Haha! 

What would have irked me the most was the 20+ minute wait for a margarita that never showed.  Talk about adding insult to injury...  Next time, visit the bar at Sabor first, grab a drink and then head to the shuttle or cab.  :15_yum:

Welcome back and congratulations, glad you liked the ship, we loved the ship, cannot imagine how we didn't see each other? Probably did and just didn't notice it, lol.

I know what you mean about Costa Maya, this was our second time this year so I knew what to expect, plus I'm a big guy, and my wife says I go into island mode which means I have a grumpy face, no one ever bothers us, we had to go out and walk by the taxi stand to get to the ride location to Maya Chan, Maya Chan itself is awesome, but the ride to get there is another story, the owner warns you in his documentation that it is bad, but that doesn't even come close, with the Hurricane that blew through recently and all the rain they had, I've walked on mountain goat paths that were in better shape than this rode. Maya Chan tried to do everything possible to make up for it, but it was still a rough ride. Oh my goodness, the food that is included in the price was just amazing, little pity Mexican lady made everything from scratch, including the tortillas.

Meant to add, we tired every specialty restaurant on board except Chefs table and Coastal Kitchen (Wasn't in a suit this trip), best steak was the filet from Giovanni's table, best meal overall was Izumi hibachi, including some sushi, by the end of the 1 week we already at food overload, can't imagine 2 weeks. We need to give Samba grill another try, we had it the last night and we realized we were already at food burn out mode...

So glad you had an amazing trip.   Loved catching your scopes!  I think if we ever do oasis class we will definitely spend the money for an ocean balcony... it seems worth it so my hubby doesn't feel like he is in a shopping mall!   I really enjoyed Costa maya...we went and saw the Mayan ruins, came back and hooked a ride to the beach.   We had beautiful views,  free chairs and actually didn't get harassed.   I can't remember if we did the shuttle or it was a taxi,  but we were in a closed minivan and didn't get hollered at!   We may have gotten lucky?!   I find sweet drink fatigue to be very real (found myself buying beer even though I was trying to get my drink pkg worth)  but patron and pineapple juice sounds amazing!   

Thanks for all the insights... hope the emergency wasn't too bad.   Have your started planning the next cruise yet?  Jane

18 hours ago, KLAconQueso said:

You want to feel uncomfortable, walk outside the gate in Falmouth.  We went out once because my wife wanted to see, in 5 min she wanted back in.

We'll be on the Allure in June with four port stops...I am a little concerned I will need a vacation from this vacation as I am already planning every minute so I can take advantage of the ship. We are planning on Maya Chan, and I understand they pick you up near the taxi stand...I hope that's still the case. Since I will have been to Nachi twice by then, we are going into San Miguel while in Coz. We are also hitting Roatan, and the only way I could get my cruise averse oldest back on a ship was to promise a trip to the Sloth and Monkey Sanctuary so she can hug a sloth (it's very high on her bucket list), and Nassau in which I will take the fam to the Queen's Staircase and walk to Junkanoo for cheap beers and a "free" beach day. I also haven't been to Pirate Republic yet.

Did you hit Park Cafe?

Also, did you hit all the bars?