Behind the scenes tour- Is it worth the $

MarcMcD

I’ll admit it.  I’m a nerd.  Mechanical devices are cool to me- and a ship is in effect a large machine with all of us onboard. 

Contemplating the behind the scenes tour, and was wondering if anyone had been on it- I’d they thought is was worth the money spent. 

Thanks in advance!

We have done the galley and bridge tours before but never the entire tour that goes into the bowels of the lower levels.  Have heard from numerous fellow cruisers that have taken the inclusive tour that is fantastic and very educational and enlightening.

We plan to do one of these in February when on the Oasis.

If you've never done a behind the scenes tour before, then yes, it's worth the money. Do it.

16 minutes ago, Bazza said:

Are these open to 'anybody' or do you have to be high ranking C&Aers?!

If they are open to all, what kind of $$ are you looking at please?!

Available to all guests. You should see it listed as an option in your Cruise Planner.

46 minutes ago, Matt said:

If you've never done a behind the scenes tour before, then yes, it's worth the money. Do it.

Available to all guests. You should see it listed as an option in your Cruise Planner.

Hi again Matt

Where will something like this appear on the planner? At present my 'headings' are:

• Dining & Beverage
  • Entertainment & Activities
  • Internet & More
  • Spa & Fitness
  • Shore Excursions
  • Royal Gifts
  • Photo Packages & Products

Also, what do the photo packages actually give? Can't find out from the 3rd party site yet as my cruise is not showing!

Thank you (again) 

I highly recommend the All Access Tour - especially if you are really interested in how things work behind the scenes.  I think the price on this tour has come down some since we took it.  I think we paid $150 each a number of years ago but I think it's a bit lower now.  If that's the case, I really REALLY recommend it

The Behind the Scenes Tours are nice but they will not give you the indepth information and access that the AAT does.  We visited the crew areas including their dining room, bar and social quarters area (the nice lady that gave us the tour even took us to her personal quarters but I don't think that's normally part of the tour !), the engine room (although there was only limited access to some of that), the laundry, the cold and warm storage areas, the galley of course, the trash and recycling area and a nice tour of the Central Park area which was fascinating.  This tour also includes all of the areas normally covered by the behind the scenes tours (theater, galley and bridge) but so much more too.

You have to wear closed toed shoes and there is a bit of walking up steepish stairs but it's really a good tour, IMO.

I believe it shows up under "Entertainment & Activities," it's not lumped in with the shore excursions.  I thought it was really interesting and worthwhile, but I too am a nerd.  It was really neat to see how much effort it really takes to run a cruise ship and get a peak at the crew areas.  I wouldn't do it on every ship, but it's totally worth it to go at least once.

1 hour ago, twangster said:

It's $99 on Anthem coming up.   I did it on Harmony earlier this month for $119.  I posted pics and a brief description in my recap in the Live Blogs.  Scroll down to day 5.

Harmony 9/30-10/7 Recap

Has that been on your cruise planner for a while?  It still doesn't show up in mine for March...

1 hour ago, Sabrinaklai said:

Has that been on your cruise planner for a while?  It still doesn't show up in mine for March...

I booked ~45 days away, it was there from that point, listed under activities, same price both Anthem cruises.

Heads up - long pants and closed toe shoes required (no flip flops).  No video but photos are allowed (obviously).

11 hours ago, Floski said:

Still can't find it.  Maybe my Oasis trip doesn't have it?

They make it so freaking hard sometimes.

Try calling, either directly or via your travel agent.  It's possible they aren't doing it that sailing or it sold out, but I'm willing to bet it's just hiding in the system.  I think Royal Caribbean bought their IT systems from the Willy Wonka factory.  I've called and asked about excursions and activities before and they've magically appeared in the cruise planner moments later.  I suspect an Oompa Loompa fell asleep and my call woke them up.

6 minutes ago, Orange Crush said:

Try calling, either directly or via your travel agent.  It's possible they aren't doing it that sailing or it sold out, but I'm willing to bet it's just hiding in the system.  I think Royal Caribbean bought their IT systems from the Willy Wonka factory.  I've called and asked about excursions and activities before and they've magically appeared in the cruise planner moments later.  I suspect an Oompa Loompa fell asleep and my call woke them up.

I NEVER do anything via the web site.  It's become way to unreliable.  I find I get things done quicker with a simple phone call.

16 hours ago, Floski said:

Still can't find it.  Maybe my Oasis trip doesn't have it?

They make it so freaking hard sometimes.

I've looked everywhere for weeks now and my cruise planner doesn't have it.  We are 133 days out.  I've always ignored these things in the past but this time we are bringing the kiddies and after a few cruises it's probably a good opportunity for them to see how it works behind the scenes.  Hopefully they will appreciate more all the behind the scenes work it takes for them to have a good vacation.  And if I can get it for $99 like @twangster then that would be a great deal.  It's been around $120 on my last couple cruises.

Just now, WAAAYTOOO said:

Not sure what the ages of the children are, but you probably should check.  I think there may be an age limit on these tours.  I really cannot remember.

Thanks @WAAAYTOOO. They are 9 and 11. But I will look into it if it ever pops up in my cruise planner.  I don't even have that option right now.

23 minutes ago, Sabrinaklai said:

I've looked everywhere for weeks now and my cruise planner doesn't have it.  We are 133 days out.  I've always ignored these things in the past but this time we are bringing the kiddies and after a few cruises it's probably a good opportunity for them to see how it works behind the scenes.  Hopefully they will appreciate more all the behind the scenes work it takes for them to have a good vacation.  And if I can get it for $99 like @twangster then that would be a great deal.  It's been around $120 on my last couple cruises.

It just appeared today for Anthem in January.  And its $79!!!!!

Sold!  It wasn't there yesterday.

4 minutes ago, twangster said:

It just appeared today for Anthem in January.  And its $79!!!!!

Sold!  It wasn't there yesterday.

Oh my...I just logged into my cruise planner after I posted that it wasn't and now it is.  Wasn't there yesterday either!  It's $99 CDN which is about $79 US.  Great deal!  Sold here too!

Screenshot (16).png

1 minute ago, twangster said:

Same with the US site.  IT strikes again.

The Google translation is interesting: 

Six (6) Children under the age of age are not allowed to attend, and children aged 6 to 18 years of age require at least one guard É

I just used "Parent translation" about 20min ago.  Texted a pic to my dad, and asked him to read and translate for me. :12_slight_smile:

@twangster since you've been on this tour before, I was just wondering how large each group is?  I remember on the Allure my husband and I went on a complimentary galley tour and the group was so large it was hard to see anything.

On Harmony there were 20 booked.  Two didn't show so we were 18.  They used a wireless microphone and each guest was given a small earpiece to listen to the guest speaker at each stop.  I liked that because you didn't feel the need to all cram around up close and personal like some other cruise line .  You could step back, look around, take pictures, etc.  I'm hoping Anthem does the same.