First night done right

Don Harris

First thing when you get on the ship, go to one of the specialty dinning rooms or the MDR, ask them where and when you are reserved for and if it;s not what you want ask them to change it.

No other way to do it until you get on, don't wait because Chops dates and times will fill up fast.

On what ship?  My understanding is that on Oasis class, your options for FNDR are either Giovanni's or Sabor.  You can change the reservation to Chops or another venue but the charge will be 50% of the normal fee for the restaurant.  So there might be an slight upcharge to change to Chops, since the fee for Chops is ~$49.  Still, a 50% discount is not a bad deal if that is what you want to do.

So - when we were on the Allure, the only two options we had were Giovanni's or Samba Grill. If we wanted to swap to Giovanni's from Samba (which we had little to no interest in as I'm not really a meat eater), we could just call the specialty restaurant and ask to have it changed. 

1 hour ago, KLAconQueso said:

So - when we were on the Allure, the only two options we had were Giovanni's or Samba Grill. If we wanted to swap to Giovanni's from Samba (which we had little to no interest in as I'm not really a meat eater), we could just call the specialty restaurant and ask to have it changed. 

Well, looky who decided to show up...

Congrats on your nuptials, Kayla!!!  Very happy for you both.  I hope y'all had a great cruise(s).

16 hours ago, DDemuth said:

On what ship?  My understanding is that on Oasis class, your options for FNDR are either Giovanni's or Sabor.  You can change the reservation to Chops or another venue but the charge will be 50% of the normal fee for the restaurant.  So there might be an slight upcharge to change to Chops, since the fee for Chops is ~$49.  Still, a 50% discount is not a bad deal if that is what you want to do.

We ate at both Giovanni's and chops on our recent cruise. We liked Chops but loved Giovanni's. Chops was good for the $30pp. We were on Serenade. I don't think it's worth $49pp. Just my opinion. 

6 hours ago, FManke said:

We ate at both Giovanni's and chops on our recent cruise. We liked Chops but loved Giovanni's. Chops was good for the $30pp. We were on Serenade. I don't think it's worth $49pp. Just my opinion. 

Funny, last year on Oasis we thought Giovanni's was just average; liked it but thought nothing really special.  Haven't been to Chops since 2015 on Splendour but that was an excellent meal with great service.  I probably agree that Chops at $49pp is steep, but at $49 per couple for FNDR, it's a bit more attractive.  But put me on an Oasis class and my go to restaurant is 150 Central Park.

I think the restaurants vary by ship. On a two week sailing where we dined in the specialty restaurants six times, we only dined at Giovanni's one as it was just so-so and dined at Chops four times and Izumi twice. On the Allure, though, we weren't thrilled with Chops, so we ended up at Giovanni's and 150 Central Park multiple times. 

On ‎10‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 9:45 AM, DocLC said:

I think the restaurants vary by ship. On a two week sailing where we dined in the specialty restaurants six times, we only dined at Giovanni's one as it was just so-so and dined at Chops four times and Izumi twice. On the Allure, though, we weren't thrilled with Chops, so we ended up at Giovanni's and 150 Central Park multiple times. 

Agreed. You can think of them as a "chain" restaurant of sorts. Same menu but different staff.

On 10/25/2017 at 1:19 PM, Don Harris said:

I will be on Liberty Of the Seas 

I believe the verdict is still out on whether you even can change to Chopps on Liberty.  But if you can the method is as described above.  Soon as you board go to a specialty restaurant.  They will be able to tell you where/when you are booked and make the changes (based on availability) you want.  I was going to buy FDNR for my family but chose not to once the "Chopps Controversy" started out here.

On 10/27/2017 at 9:45 AM, DocLC said:

I agree, just got off Allure, even though Chops was good, the best steak I had all week was the Filet at Giovanni's, the service was a little off the first night we went but that was because they had 4 very large groups in at the same time, so as a table of we thought it was a little slow but acceptable.

Also ate at Izumi twice.

• 2 months later...

Anybody done this First Night done right on Oasis recently?

We did it in Feb 2017 and it was great. They had just started it. We had a card in our room saying Giovanni's. As I was about to leave to try and change it to Chops the phone rang. It was a Guest services agent who asked if we wanted 150. Rather than hassle with it I said yes knowing it was one of the most expensive options and we had a very nice meal and the bill at the end said $0.00

We are going on Oasis again in Feb and other than the price increase is there anything we should know? Would like to try Chops this time.

On 1/13/2018 at 3:49 PM, wsyrob said:

We are going on Oasis again in Feb and other than the price increase is there anything we should know? Would like to try Chops this time.

The principle is still the same behind the FNDR deal.  Enjoy!

This was why we decided not to take advantage of the specials for our upcoming cruise: The wife ONLY wants to eat at Chops. So, we pay more. We don't have to move the reservation. Why make embarkation any more stressful then it is? (It's not always stressful. But if my responsibility is only to get on board and make our way to Olive or Twist for Sailaway and alcohol, the stress level is way low!)

I have always found it extremely easy to make reservation for this offer or the dining package. when I board there are always staff members trying to book you into the restaurants so I just go to them and book all  at once, it takes 5 minutes then I head to the bar.

saying that I normally have a drink in my hand already.

Good morning All,

So my question may have been answered already but still drinking my coffee, lol.  We just booked the Freedom one way from FLL to San Juan 5/6/18 for my wives bday.  We have never done FNDR.  Her birthday is the first day and she really wants to eat at Chops.  If for some reason we don't get Chops will they change it once we get on board on the first day?  Have a great Friday everyone.