Crown & Anchor Society benefits?

katjoe

So it's been pointed out in an email we just received that as C&A members, we'll get "priority boarding" and "priority lounge" benefits (even though we only have gold status, having only cruised with RC once before). 

So what exactly does that mean? Are there really any differences? Isn't pretty much everyone a C&A member??

And something about special offers on board...

Perks are always nice ;-)

Actually, not everyone is C&A; you still have to sign up, and not everyone does that. Also, even if you signed up when you booked your first cruise, you don't reach that first "Gold" level until after that cruise is done.

There's a boarding line for people not in C&A or who haven't yet "ranked up", and then separate lines for each of the different levels. Suite guests (including Jr Suites) get top priority along with Pinnacle C&A members, all of whom get to board first.

Amusingly, @Matt pointed out in one of his podcast episodes that sometimes the line for the non-C&A guests is actually shorter than the other lines, because as you noted so many people do join it. But then he still takes his "designated" line because, well, he's earned those perks! :3_grin:

You can see all the different perks for the C&A levels here.

I am not aware of a priority lounge area anywhere for gold members. The line ups yes, but as mentioned often the line up for gold or even platinum are longer than the general ones!

There will be a sheet off offers in your cabin that are pre-loaded to your seapass card and I agree, any perks are defn nice!

Boarding lines vary at some ports.  In Baltimore Gold was lumped in with the never sailed, but its a small facility and went pretty quickly.

They do load special offers onto your SeaPass card as a C&A member.  Offers get better with status, but even Gold members get something.   

Here were the offers as a Gold member on Grandeur a couple months ago.

Gold offers.jpeg

3 hours ago, monctonguy said:

I am not aware of a priority lounge area anywhere for gold members. The line ups yes, but as mentioned often the line up for gold or even platinum are longer than the general ones!

There will be a sheet off offers in your cabin that are pre-loaded to your seapass card and I agree, any perks are defn nice!

It would be awesome if the new Miami Port will have airline type lounges (lazy boy chairs, buffet, beverages, etc) for their higher tiers/suite guests.  

12 hours ago, jurrjurr said:

It would be awesome if the new Miami Port will have airline type lounges (lazy boy chairs, buffet, beverages, etc) for their higher tiers/suite guests.  

That would be nice but I've only had to wait one time in the terminal, the boat came in late due to fog in Tampa.  Any other time it was check in and straight on the boat. 

After checking in at the Cruise Terminal, you will be directed to sit with other guests in the same C&A level as you.  When boarding begins, they board from highest C&A level down to lowest.  

So being in C&A (even at Gold) means you get to board before the unwashed masses non-C&A members.

33 minutes ago, Matt said:

After checking in at the Cruise Terminal, you will be directed to sit with other guests in the same C&A level as you.  When boarding begins, they board from highest C&A level down to lowest.  

So being in C&A (even at Gold) means you get to board before the unwashed masses non-C&A members.

I think they call them steerage. 

37 minutes ago, Matt said:

When we boarded Allure, they accidentally skipped Diamond and went straight to Emerald :4_joy:

Embarkation has only been a problem one time for us and that was at a port where we got there too early before the process was opened.  We have found that the ports do a pretty good job of getting everyone processed so C&A lines don't seem to be a major perk for us.  Everyone has to go through the same process and your cabin isn't going to be ready until 1:00 pm.  

16 hours ago, KLAconQueso said:

But you CAN get to the Windjammer before it becomes a madhouse, and get the best pick of seats at the pool before everyone else hops on board! 

Not to mention being first at the bars....  But I agree, getting to the WJ early is best.  We actually got on so early once it wasn't open.

22 hours ago, Matt said:

Its funny, I think I tend to get there early and never once have I seen any form of orderly lines being boarded in order. Orderly lines checking in ... yes, but its always been open boarding for me ... maybe I have been missing some secret.

Typically aim to arrive at 11 and usually on board by noon.

C&A is kind of nice for the small perks you get as Gold, but my experience is that it is a step down in the boarding process compared to not being a member...it is almost like you're steerage...Next cruise brings us to Platinum...so I can't wait to save that extra five minutes boarding!

Being Gold is like that scene in Risky Business in the classroom when the clock goes backward...

5 hours ago, Kimberly7293 said:

I have a question about C&A and boarding... hubby and I are Platinum, but the rest of our group of 5 cabins are Gold or lower...do we all board separately? It's been a very long time since we've cruised, so all of these procedures have changed!

Not sure where you are boarding but in Orlando, they will board from top to bottom.  They flash it on a big screen.  Last time I went out of Tampa, they announced the tiers.  So you will board first, but nothing says you can't wait for them.

OK I am little bit confused about my status!! :42_confused:

I have signed up for C&A ahead of my first cruise - which happens to be 3 cruises back to back.

I assume day 1 of 1st cruise I am amongst the unwashed despite having a number?! Anybody know how this will work in Sydney please?

Day 11 (which is Day 1 of the 2nd cruise) I will have moved into a real Gold position having cruised for 10 nights but as I already have a room will I already have the relevant sea pass to just walk on and off at my leisure?!

Day 14 (which is day 1 of 3rd cruise) still loitering about half way up the Gold rankings now, but again hopefully just able to run up and down the gangplank as much as I like without queues?! :8_laughing:

Somebody able to enlighten me please?! 

Unfortunately, with RCCL you won't get anything until you have completed your cruise and it can take up to two weeks to see the change.  Since you are doing a back to back to back you MIGHT be able to go to the loyalty desk and get some kind of gold perks but I wouldn't count on it.  I've never done a back to back but I think you will have to get off the boat, they will direct you to a lounge and then let you back on once it clears customs.  Now, I assume it is similar in Sydney but I really don't know.

• 10 months later...

My husband & I took our first RCCL cruise 20 years ago for our honeymoon (4 night cruise), and our next one is booked for March 2019 (7 night).  I just registered us in CAS last night through an RCCL representative and she was able to locate our first cruise to give us credit for it.  I figured we would earn 4 points for that trip, giving us Gold status for our upcoming cruise in March.  She told me we're Gold members now and I got off the phone.  I went back into my account, and could already see my past cruise posted, but we only received 1 point for that trip, not 4.  But we have 8 points total, which I assume is 1 from the first trip + 7 for the upcoming, but I thought we didn't earn points until after a trip was completed.  I'm not complaining about being at 8 points already, but I'm concerned before our March trip, RCCL might realize they shouldn't have given us 7 of those points yet, and we'll be back to 1 point for pre-gold.  Does anyone know if past cruises (like 20 years ago) are credited differently, where they don't count all the nights?  Should I call them back and try to get 4 points for the past cruise to ensure our Gold status before the March trip or leave it be?

13 minutes ago, Brobbins246 said:

My husband & I took our first RCCL cruise 20 years ago for our honeymoon (4 night cruise), and our next one is booked for March 2019 (7 night).  I just registered us in CAS last night through an RCCL representative and she was able to locate our first cruise to give us credit for it.  I figured we would earn 4 points for that trip, giving us Gold status for our upcoming cruise in March.  She told me we're Gold members now and I got off the phone.  I went back into my account, and could already see my past cruise posted, but we only received 1 point for that trip, not 4.  But we have 8 points total, which I assume is 1 from the first trip + 7 for the upcoming, but I thought we didn't earn points until after a trip was completed.  I'm not complaining about being at 8 points already, but I'm concerned before our March trip, RCCL might realize they shouldn't have given us 7 of those points yet, and we'll be back to 1 point for pre-gold.  Does anyone know if past cruises (like 20 years ago) are credited differently, where they don't count all the nights?  Should I call them back and try to get 4 points for the past cruise to ensure our Gold status before the March trip or leave it be?

Your cruise 20 years ago...was it in a suite?  That might be where the 8 points is coming from.  It is recorded as 1 point because back then it was 1 point for a regular cabin and 2 points for suite. Then they changed the system a few years back to points per night.  But if you look at past cruise history, the old system points are still there and they converted your old points into the new ones.  Yes, confusing. 

Just now, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Your cruise 20 years ago...was it in a suite?  That might be where the 8 points is coming from.  It is recorded as 1 point because back then it was 1 point for a regular cabin and 2 points for suite. Then they changed the system a few years back to points per night.  But if you look at past cruise history, the old system points are still there and they converted your old points into the new ones.  Yes, confusing. 

No, it was an inside cabin, not a suite.  I might wait a couple weeks and see if my past cruise points change from 1 to 4, since I know it can take some time for points to be applied.  Thanks for the info on the old method, I wondered if it was different.  

3 minutes ago, Brobbins246 said:

No, it was an inside cabin, not a suite.  I might wait a couple weeks and see if my past cruise points change from 1 to 4, since I know it can take some time for points to be applied.  Thanks for the info on the old method, I wondered if it was different.  

I wouldn't worry too much.  Royal is not known their great IT department.  Either way, you are still at 4 cruise points so you will still be at Gold.  The one will always be there I suspect.  All my cruises that I took prior to new system show up as 1 or 2 points.  However, my overall point total reflects that of the new system.  So those 1 or 2 point were converted accordingly.

21 hours ago, Brobbins246 said:

We had the same thing.  Our first cruise was a 7 night cruise in 1999, which is displayed as 1 point in the “past cruises” section of the website, but the points were translated to 15 for both my husband and I (before the cruise we just took).

I cruised on Allure in August with my husband and my daughters, 17 and 15.  My daughters paid an adult fare, but would not have been able to cruise without me (their parents) based on their age, as per RC policy.  They had their own stateroom, which of course we paid for.  In the circumstances when parents pay for their dependents in another stateroom, I wish the parents got their kids’ points.

When the old system of 1 point per cruise (up to 8 nights) changed to 1 point per night every cruise was credited with 7 points (regardless of the actual number of nights) and 1 extra point was added to the total to account for some 8 night cruises.

We had been on three cruises - 3 old points became 22 new points.

On 10/25/2017 at 2:01 PM, craig403 said:

Everyone has to go through the same process and your cabin isn't going to be ready until 1:00 pm.  

Even if I can't get to my cabin until 1:00, I look at it as this: embarkation day counts as day 1 of my cruise. I'm getting onboard as soon as I can and enjoying Day 1. Aside from WJ being open, you can get to the pool :--D

Below is the awards and conversion between the old C & A system and the new:

Prior to 1/1/03 you got 1 point per cruise regardless of length or category of cabin.

After 1/1/03 you got and extra point for a cruise of 12 days or longer.

After 1/1/4 you got an extra point for JS or higher.

Around 1/1/11 they converted to the current point structure and old points were converted as such:

1-4 Credits - Credits * 7 +1
5-7 Credits - Credits *7 + 3
>7 Credits - Credits *7 +13

Also for point of reference the Original C & A levels were:
1 - Gold
5 - Platinum
10 - Diamond
24 - D+

At the time of conversion I had 5 previous cruises (1 point each) which became 38 points.

41 minutes ago, WhiteSoxFan said:
Also for point of reference the Original C & A levels were:
1 - Gold
5 - Platinum
10 - Diamond
24 - D+

OK, this starts to make some sense to me now. That old system heavily rewarded taking short weekend cruises, as you could take 10 of those in an inside cabin and be Diamond for significantly lower cost than someone who wants to only take longer cruises.

Now, with the tiers based on actual nights sailed, there's no real advantage to having a particular cruising length preference. The price per night for any given cabin category (I would hope) works out about the same in the end for a 3-night or 16-night cruise, so you've just got to sail those 80 nights (40 if you're living the suite life the whole time). So take 20 four-night cruises or 10 eight-nighters, you won't get there any faster.

Hold on... Royal did something that actually leveled the playing field, instead of rewarding those who spend more money?!? GASP!

2 hours ago, JLMoran said:

OK, this starts to make some sense to me now. That old system heavily rewarded taking short weekend cruises, as you could take 10 of those in an inside cabin and be Diamond for significantly lower cost than someone who wants to only take longer cruises.

Now, with the tiers based on actual nights sailed, there's no real advantage to having a particular cruising length preference. The price per night for any given cabin category (I would hope) works out about the same in the end for a 3-night or 16-night cruise, so you've just got to sail those 80 nights (40 if you're living the suite life the whole time). So take 20 four-night cruises or 10 eight-nighters, you won't get there any faster.

Hold on... Royal did something that actually leveled the playing field, instead of rewarding those who spend more money?!? GASP!

A whole lot of people definitely got to D+ doing 3 night weekenders.  I remember when they changed it a bunch of people were booking short ones to rack up the points while they could.

1 hour ago, Larry Muster said:

If you are Diamond but your spouse is not, do they get any of the D privileges? For example the free drinks or access to the D lounge?  

Your spouse can have your status.  They extend your diamond status to your spouse, but you need to contact them and request it.  

Make sure both addresses on each account match, give them a call or email them.  A few days later they will be diamond with all the diamond benefits including a free photo, happy hour drinks, free day of internet, etc.  

Unless you do the status match request, they get none of your benefits and can NOT go into the diamond lounge with you.  It's simple and easy to do and then they are diamond, even if they cruise without you.  If you ever make diamond plus, your spouse will be automatically moved to diamond plus.  They do NOT match for Pinnacle.

C&A Society ‭(800) 526-9723‬ or crownandanchor@rccl.com

38 minutes ago, twangster said:

Your spouse can have your status.  They extend your diamond status to your spouse, but you need to contact them and request it.  

C&A Society ‭(800) 526-9723‬ or crownandanchor@rccl.com

Status match?  Mind BLOWN!  

I have a confession to make.  I used the term “spouse” prematurely.  Any chance they will status match for girlfriends?  We share an address and have cruised together frequently.  I’m not ready to give her a diamond but would be willing to give her diamond status.