Main Dining Rooms

Bazza

Hi all

These are probably very stupid questions to many of you so laugh if you must! If there is a link to a previous/existing topic please share.

Looking at the Ovation deck plan, I can see what appear to be 4 large dining rooms (Silk, American Icon, Grande and Chic). I have found Youtube videos for each so my understanding is these are the MDRs. Please tell me if I am wrong!

The questions...

1 - Do you get allocated one of these as your MDR for duration of the cruise or can you choose?

2 - Can you change your choice each night?

3 - Does the formal night apply to all 4 on the same nights?

4 - I assume the My Time Dining is only for these restaurants? If so, my cruise planner does not let me choose which one it just gives me a time slot? Is this purely because I am still a few months before the cruise?

Thanks

"Stupid" Barrie

Well, first off, those aren't stupid questions.  You didn't already know the answers, so how could they be?

I'll try my hand, but the smart veterans will be able to help you better...

1)  I'm pretty sure you keep the same DR, but if you were to ask for other arrangements, I'm sure you will be taken care of.

2)  Technically, I'd say no, but the staff is very accommodating and I'm sure will do all they can.

C)  I believe so.

4)  I haven't done MTD yet, so not sure.

AFAIK, all of the MDRs are essentially the same thing, only on different floors for space-saving purposes.  So I'm not sure 

what the benefit would be to changing, especially every night.  One of the enjoyable parts of our cruises is to get to know the

wait staff during the duration of our cruise; they learn your likes and dislikes and are great at making you comfortable.

Now, I've never been on an Ovation class ship, but I would assume the premise is the same for all of the ships.

d

Thanks Floski - and for making me feel less stupid! Or trying to anyway! :11_blush:

I was assuming they were all different themes and as such different menus etc. but if what you are saying is correct then it possibly just the decor that changes.

As we are cruising back to back for 27 days I guess we will venture to a number of wonderful eateries (to give the waiting staff  a break as much as anything!) :1_grinning:

Kind regards.

Barrie

They used to be different menus, now all the same.  Two are for MTD, two for traditional.  You'll be assigned 1 for the duration of your cruise if you have traditional.  If you show up at the exact same time every night for MTD then you'll likely end up in the same one/table each night.  If you show up at random times each night for MTD you may be placed in either of the 2.  Formal night will apply to all 4.  As @Floski said, if you have any issues you can talk to the staff and they'll do what they can to help you.  We were assigned a "prime table" in MTD by a window...Long story short we asked to be moved the following night, and we were.

I say all that, but I've never been on Ovation.  But, from what I heard it should be correct.  Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

4 hours ago, Bazza said:

4 - I assume the My Time Dining is only for these restaurants? If so, my cruise planner does not let me choose which one it just gives me a time slot? Is this purely because I am still a few months before the cruise?

If I remember rightly, Grande and Chic are the two used for traditional dining, while Silk and American Icon are used for MTD.