Cruising with Dementia /Alzheimer’s

This answer is very much depending how far down the line this person is with this condition. If the the loss of a short term memory is now present I would suggest someone is with the person at all times as they may not have the capacity to move around the ship simply because it is very large and unknown to them. They may not remember their way on a daily basis? Only you know what stage they are at with this condition.

My late grandmother had Alzheimer's.  We would take a photo of her everyday and every time she changed her outfit that way it will assist in case we needed search for her.  We also used photo magnets of people who she was familiar with and put them on her cabin door.  Just make sure you do mention to the cruise line of any medical condition.  We also used a bluetooth tracker like Tile.  Attached the Tile to a piece of clothing or in her pocket.  Have a plan.  We told her to go to any stairway/elevator and stay there.  

3 minutes ago, jurrjurr said:

My late grandmother had Alzheimer's.  We would take a photo of her everyday and every time she changed her outfit that way it will assist in case we needed search for her.  We also used photo magnets of people who she was familiar with and put them on her cabin door.  Just make sure you do mention to the cruise line of any medical condition.  We also used a bluetooth tracker like Tile.  Attached the Tile to a piece of clothing or in her pocket.  Have a plan.  We told her to go to any stairway/elevator and stay there.  

Did grandmother remember your advice where to go?

3 minutes ago, pamw said:

Did grandmother remember your advice where to go?

We would "test" her throughout the trip.  About 75/25 she would remember.  She was always accompanied by someone she is familiar with the entire time.  Only time we were worried is if she wandered off while everyone was sleeping.  It never happened.  She was exhausted after all the fun activities on the ship!  She had a great time.  She would always talk about the cruise even years afterwards.  

Sure go on the cruise but please make sure that someone is with them at all times, there is no way that you can predict when they will have a memory loss and having someone there that is familiar to them is a great help.  Not sure how far the disease has progressed but I know that they also derive comfort from familiar surroundings as the disease progresses,  for their safety I would say please have someone with them to ensure that they do not get lost or confused.  I am the step son of a mother  that had Alzheimers/dementia and understand that "making memories and family time" are EXTREMELY important but our elders also need to be cared for and safe.  Please go and have a great time but please have someone with them at all times.:14_relaxed:

21 hours ago, pamw said:

This answer is very much depending how far down the line this person is with this condition. If the the loss of a short term memory is now present I would suggest someone is with the person at all times as they may not have the capacity to move around the ship simply because it is very large and unknown to them. They may not remember their way on a daily basis? Only you know what stage they are at with this condition.

She still remembers most things now, but the cruise is in a year. Not sure where they will be when it’s tine to go in the cruise. She was joking the other day that she can’t wait to get lost on the ship. I just rolled my eyes ??

17 hours ago, arebee said:

Of all the people we cruised with we had the most fun with them.Of course someone was with him 24/7 but they are a fun couple.

We plan on being with her 24/7 too, she is looking forward to ziplining across the ship, and going on the slides. She is 72, and still loves to have fun.

14 hours ago, jurrjurr said:

We would take a photo of her everyday and every time she changed her outfit.  We also used photo magnets of people who she was familiar with and put them on her cabin door.  Just make sure you do mention to the cruise line of any medical condition.  We also used a bluetooth tracker like Tile.  Attached the Tile to a piece of clothing or in her pocket.  Have a plan.  We told her to go to any stairway/elevator and stay there.  

The Bluetooth tracker sounds like a great idea, where can we get something like that? We are going to put magnets in the door, never thought to put our faces on their too. Thanks for the great idea.

5 hours ago, bhageerah said:

Please go and have a great time but please have someone with them at all times.:14_relaxed:

We will be with her. I used to work in an assisted living/memory care facility, so had some training. This will be her last big trip with her, and want her to have a great time before she forgets

6 hours ago, hallyluhopper said:

We will be with her. I used to work in an assisted living/memory care facility, so had some training. This will be her last big trip with her, and want her to have a great time before she forgets

If you guys will be with her then go and have a blast, especially since this will be the last big vacation for her, don't let the disease keep her from a great time and the chance to make more memories!:14_relaxed:

7 hours ago, hallyluhopper said:

The Bluetooth tracker sounds like a great idea, where can we get something like that? We are going to put magnets in the door, never thought to put our faces on their too. Thanks for the great idea.

The big box electronics stores should carry them.  Amazon has them as well http://a.co/dT0iRCG.  

• 5 years later...

My husband has Alzheimers and we cruise often. We have been on 3 cruises this year and have reservations for 2 more. He loves the schedule of breakfast, lunch and dinner.  I am always with him. We do not do the night life. We have never drank. We take short excursions to see natural beauty. He lives happily in the moment even if he does not remember it. Loved Icon of the Seas.