Recommendations for Freeport and Nassau/Bahamas?

katjoe

Again looking for things to do without going through RC - their excursions are so expensive, and I hate that being herded-like-cattle thing that happens when you go on a ship excursion...

I've read that Freeport and Nassau aren't much to write home about, industrial and ugly...so maybe just another beach day? When we cruised last year, we found lots of very good local tours that included both island sightseeing and beach time, but I haven't had much luck finding any of those for the Bahamas so far...

I'd be really grateful for some recommendations from people who've already been there!

Thanks in advance,

Kat

Kat, definitely look into Sandy Toes Bahamas. I booked an all day beach excursion for us and for the family of 5, 2 adults and 3 kids it was $315.  No  interest in hitting any of the local beaches in Nassau, and the Colonial Hilton is just way too close to everything. RC offers a similar excursion but it's a shorter duration.

Sandy Toes is HIGHLY reviewed on Trip Advisor and they offer alot for your $$$.  Fare gets you RT boat transportation from Paradise Island, Welcome Drink, full lunch buffet with drinks, private beach access, chairs, snorkeling and other non-motorized activities. This is our most expensive excursion for the trip and based upon what I've seen thus far, I consider it money well  spent.  I've heard that on the boat ride they do point out alot of the interesting things along the way as you cruise by Paradise Island.

2 hours ago, katjoe said:

So I looked into Sandy Toes some more and I think I've decided against it - it just seems very overpriced for what it includes, considering it doesn't even include all drinks...but thanks for the tip and have lots of fun :-)

No worries.  It's priced the same as all of the others without alcohol included. I don't mind paying a few dollars more if that's the case to know that we will truly be on a private beach joined by no more than 50 others, all with the same goal of relaxing without crowds around.

My TA actually raved about Rose Island when we booked our April trip and looked at us a little funny when we said we weren't doing a Nassau excursion.   Since we didn't have a sea day on the itinerary, we treated Nassau as a pseudo sea day.  I had printed out a Frommer's walking guide for Nassau and we did that for a couple of hours in the AM and then spent the afternoon on the ship.  The Fort was pretty cool and the architecture (and colors) of the government buildings were nice.    For a beach day,  I know others have had good experiences at the British Colonial Hilton, which is walking distance from the port.   

We will definitely want to explore the town - which makes a closer beach more attractive also since it'll be easier to do both. And maybe go back to the ship after sightseeing to pick up beach gear etc. It's also not a super long day there so I feel like spending 90 bucks to go to the beach is prob not worth it for us. Maybe we'll do a private beach trip next time, if we go back to Nassau, which seems likely since it's a very common stop on Caribbean cruises!

I know the public beaches are cab/bus ride away but we've never done them.   The British Colonial isn't free but it's nowhere near Atlantis pricing.   The walking "tour" we did was about 2-3 hours and then we just did some window shopping so to speak.  We were back on the ship by 1:00ish.   We didn't have the ship to ourselves but it wasn't very crowded (the ship was actually docked until midnight that day so a lot of folks were off ship for awhile).   

My only time in Freeport was 1993 and I don't remember much at all and anything I did remember would be long gone and changed (at least I hope).  

3 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Freeport...UGH.  What a DUMP !  The worst cruise port I've ever been to.  REALLY unattractive, commercial...a real working port...and I recall that we tried to take a cab to find something but there just wasn't ANYTHING.  If Freeport was on my itin I would just stay on the ship for SURE.

THat was my impression, but I was hoping things had changed in 25 years.  I also remember not being thrilled about Nassau in 1993 and I would say it was better than I remembered but not a favorite.  But that's a good point, if there's a stop at both Nassau and Freeport, turn the later into a "sea day" and do something (even a walking tour) at Nassau.

I’m thinking of the public Junkanoo Beach when we visit Nassau in June.  We just want a simple beach break.  Short walk from the port so transportation not necessary.  The reviews are mixed but after researching I think it’s worth a try.  Was considering the colonial Hilton until the price went.  Junkanoo is right next the colonial hilton, I think. 

We are thinking Paradise Cove for Freeport; from the descriptions I've read, Freeport is not in the least attractive and I do'nt think we'll bother trying to visit the town...I forget what I wanted to do about Paradise Cove, will go back and try to find a good way to get there or if anyone has any advice, I'll gladly read it!

On 10/25/2017 at 12:52 PM, mbk999 said:

THat was my impression, but I was hoping things had changed in 25 years.  I also remember not being thrilled about Nassau in 1993 and I would say it was better than I remembered but not a favorite.  But that's a good point, if there's a stop at both Nassau and Freeport, turn the later into a "sea day" and do something (even a walking tour) at Nassau.

I’m not sure if cruisers are aware of rise in the crime rate in  Nassau...Its gone thru the roof. I’m not sure why it’s still a cruise ship stop.  We will be there 18th of next month (Nov) on the Majesty of the Seas.  We will enjoy the onboard activity’s of the ship but we may do some shopping in the port

I just called Sandy Toes on Rose Island yesterday to add a drink package ($39 for a day of drinking) and right now, there are 9 people booked on our trip during the 4NOV Anthem cruise.  The minimum they sail with is 10, max is 40. Think about it, imagine 10-15 of you, with 5 of those being my own group, going to essentially your own private island for the day. There's no way you can beat that.