Recommendations for Port Canaveral?

katjoe

I'm not interested in the space stuff, nor in any of the theme parks; plus we won't get there until 1pm. I'd really just like to go to the beach, if weather permits (it'll be November 11, so not sure how realiably good and sunny it'll be at that time??).  RC offers a transfer to a local beach, but it's $19 per person, which I think is a bit ridiculous for a 15-minute coach trip!

Someone in another forum said there was a beach within walking distance from the ship, can anyone confirm this? 

Thanks!!

Kat

I am in the process of finalizing our plans now for PC.  

FIrst- rental cars are dirt cheap. You can get one with taxes for about $45 for a 12PM to 7PM window.  For me, that's reasonable.

I have family who live in the area and work for the coast guard. I was planning on meeting them for a beach for a few hours and mentioned Cocoa Beach. They said the problem with this particular beach is the coral and fact that it's difficult to walk around. They instead recommended Tables Beach near Patrick AFB, about 15 minutes away by car, as a much better option.

We're not into spending around $400 for my family of 5 to tour the space center, and looked into alternatives.  One that popped up is a local Air Boat/Gator Farm option. There's a few out there and I haven't set up with a specific one as of yet.

We did the Canaveral tour on our own.  It's a lot to see in 1 visit but you can just pick what is important to you and do what you can.

I am not particularly into the whole space thing either but I found the place to be fascinating.  I would recommend doing the Canaveral tour to anyone.  Perhaps small children may not be interested but they have a lot of displays that the older children seemed to love.

21 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

We did the Canaveral tour on our own.  It's a lot to see in 1 visit but you can just pick what is important to you and do what you can.

I am not particularly into the whole space thing either but I found the place to be fascinating.  I would recommend doing the Canaveral tour to anyone.  Perhaps small children may not be interested but they have a lot of displays that the older children seemed to love.

I completely agree, but I'm a total space nerd. However, my wife isn't and she found it very interesting as well. We only expected to spend a couple of hours there and ended up closing the place down. 

5 hours ago, Matt said:

You can take a taxi straight to the Space Center on your own.  

For those of you who have done the Space Center on your own are taxis readily available when you get off the ship??  What about when you want to get back to the ship?  Are taxis easy to get then?  I want to do this too but I agree that it is way overpriced through the ship.

Just went to a beach in Cape Canaveral last weekend (our 8 month old's first beach trip) and it was fine, no damage.

Jetty Park (has a $5 fee to get in I think), and Cherie Down Park are the closest to the port.  Both have bathrooms and showers.

Having grown up on the Space Coast, space is in my blood, and would recommend Kennedy Space Center to anyone.  Last time we went was to see Atlantis in her new home.  Sooo cool to be face to face with one of the space shuttles I've seen take off so many times over the years.  I just stood there for a while and looked at her.  Rumor has it she's hanging at a 32.1 angle.

I think I'll play it by ear - if the weather is not nice, I might go with hubby (even though the thought of spending that much money raises my hair...). if it's gorgeous, I think I'll go to the beach, esp. if it's walkable from the ship. Will try to find that website that shows you were exactly the cruise ships dock - anyone know off-hand??

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/21/2017 at 9:37 PM, katjoe said:

I think I'll play it by ear - if the weather is not nice, I might go with hubby (even though the thought of spending that much money raises my hair...). if it's gorgeous, I think I'll go to the beach, esp. if it's walkable from the ship. Will try to find that website that shows you were exactly the cruise ships dock - anyone know off-hand??

You COULD walk to Jetty Park...probably about a 30min walk...depending on which terminal you end up at.  If 1, then walkable (though boring and no real walk path as it's more of an industrial area).  Any of the others I'd get a ride of some kind.

7 hours ago, RestingBirds said:

You COULD walk to Jetty Park...probably about a 30min walk...depending on which terminal you end up at.  If 1, then walkable (though boring and no real walk path as it's more of an industrial area).  Any of the others I'd get a ride of sme kind.

Apparently, there will be two other ships there that day (!!) so no idea if that increases or decreases our chances of being nearer to the beach...

• 2 weeks later...

We did the airboat/gator park excursion in 2015 and my (teen at the time) boys loved it.  Would definitely do again.  The gator park was on the boring side for a lot of the kids, but mine are very nature-oriented and enjoyed it.  You could also eat gator which they thought was cool. But the airboat was the highlight for them.  

We're going back to PC in May, and only have three excursions at the moment in our Cruise Planner.  We may end up getting off, having lunch at Grills, and getting back on. None of us are interested in the shuttle to a shopping area, done KSC twice already, and can't remember the third at the moment.  Hoping now that we are 180 days out other items will start showing up.  We had nothing until about a week ago, not even listed. 

19 minutes ago, Sabrinaklai said:

What?!  What shuttle?  and what shopping area?  Is it a RC excursion?  Please share details Kathy....or anyone else.  I never realized there was good shopping near Port Canaveral...

There isn't. It's an armpit. We just got back from there. Took a public bus to Cocoa Beach (left very close to the cruise terminal) but there wasn't much of a beach left (I guess bc of hurricanes) and it was very windy, so went to the Sandbar and had some drinks. Walked back to bus stop, took bus back and had him drop us off as close as possible to Jetty Park; went there but beach even worse and nothing to do there, so walked back to the ship - bit of a walk so only for those who are comfortable walking. 

I really don't need to go back to Port Canaveral. If we do, we'll go to the Space Center next time. Other than that, avoid this port if you can!

1 minute ago, katjoe said:

There isn't. It's an armpit. We just got back from there. Took a public bus to Cocoa Beach (left very close to the cruise terminal) but there wasn't much of a beach left (I guess bc of hurricanes) and it was very windy, so went to the Sandbar and had some drinks. Walked back to bus stop, took bus back and had him drop us off as close as possible to Jetty Park; went there but beach even worse and nothing to do there, so walked back to the ship - bit of a walk so only for those who are comfortable walking. 

I really don't need to go back to Port Canaveral. If we do, we'll go to the Space Center next time. Other than that, avoid this port if you can!

Oh, ok. ? The shopaholic in me was hopeful lol

7 minutes ago, Sabrinaklai said:

Oh, ok. ? The shopaholic in me was hopeful lol

To me, it was just typical Florida ugliness and run-downness. But maybe by the time you get there, they'll have restored the beaches? I'm sure they used to be nice. Just don't pay for the ship's shuttle - they wanted $19 (!!!) per person, just to take you to Cocoa Beach on a bus! The local public one (aptly named Cocoa Beach Loop) was 1.50 per person :-0

1 minute ago, katjoe said:

To me, it was just typical Florida ugliness and run-downness. But maybe by the time you get there, they'll have restored the beaches? I'm sure they used to be nice. Just don't pay for the ship's shuttle - they wanted $19 (!!!) per person, just to take you to Cocoa Beach on a bus! The local public one (aptly named Cocoa Beach Loop) was 1.50 per person :-0

We're most likely headed to KSC.  Just waiting and hoping for a Black Friday sale on excursions in a few days.

8 hours ago, Sabrinaklai said:

What?!  What shuttle?  and what shopping area?  Is it a RC excursion?  Please share details Kathy....or anyone else.  I never realized there was good shopping near Port Canaveral...

I don't know how to do a screen shot, but I can copy & paste.  LOL  Here is what the excursion says:

Florida Mall Shopping Transfer

Overview

This dynamic shopping destination offers 1.7 million square feet of retail, dining and entertainment options. Prominent department and anchor stores include Macy's, Dillard's and JC Penney. Transfer via air conditioned comfortable coach for a shopping trip to one of Florida's largest indoor malls. Accompany your day by choosing from an expansive array of dining choices and health-conscious eateries. With more than 250 retailers including American Girl, Crayola Experience, M&M's World store, The Disney Store, A/X Armani Exchange, The Apple Store and Zara. Reusable shopping bag and Savings Passport to over 100 stores are included in your transportation. PC81

$54  per adult and child. 

14 hours ago, KathyC said:

I don't know how to do a screen shot, but I can copy & paste.  LOL  Here is what the excursion says:

Florida Mall Shopping Transfer

Overview

This dynamic shopping destination offers 1.7 million square feet of retail, dining and entertainment options. Prominent department and anchor stores include Macy's, Dillard's and JC Penney. Transfer via air conditioned comfortable coach for a shopping trip to one of Florida's largest indoor malls. Accompany your day by choosing from an expansive array of dining choices and health-conscious eateries. With more than 250 retailers including American Girl, Crayola Experience, M&M's World store, The Disney Store, A/X Armani Exchange, The Apple Store and Zara. Reusable shopping bag and Savings Passport to over 100 stores are included in your transportation. PC81

$54  per adult and child. 

Why would you pay $54 to go to stores that you have everywhere in the US? I don't get it. 

The Florida Mall is kinda dumpy anyway.  You're not missing anything, and certainly not for $54.

I live in the Orlando area but the problem is the Port is about an hour away from most things you'd want to do.  It's time and cost prohibitive to get anywhere good unless you know somebody in town who can come and get you.

• 1 month later...