First time on Royal Carribean - Questions

Tampaite

I have considered walkie talkies in the past, but have never brought them and have never had a problem.  I am not sure how well they would work anyways, unless they were like police or military grade walkie talkies.  The ships are just so big.  A multi device internet package works so well with the texting.  I know it sucks paying for it, but in my opinion it is worth it.   

1 hour ago, monctonguy said:

Well if you could only use the walkie talkies in certain limited areas on the ship that others could totally avoid, similar to the deal with smokers.....than sure..lol.

Point is...even if they did work well or were effective, they are annoying. Hopefully if you and your kids do use them, its done in a considerate and respectful manner.

We aren' t sure we will use them but may try it out but will be considerate and respectful. That said, I hope smokers are considerate and respectful and don't wander around the ship after smoking in certain areas and carrying that smell around...lol.. How do you deal with that stink ?

52 minutes ago, JBC said:

I have considered walkie talkies in the past, but have never brought them and have never had a problem.  I am not sure how well they would work anyways, unless they were like police or military grade walkie talkies.  The ships are just so big.  A multi device internet package works so well with the texting.  I know it sucks paying for it, but in my opinion it is worth it.   

We looked into the internet package and it's not worth the cost so will forgo it.  Perhaps, when the kids are older, we may consider paying for them.

17 minutes ago, Tampaite said:

We aren' t sure we will use them but may try it out but will be considerate and respectful. That said, I hope smokers are considerate and respectful and don't wander around the ship after smoking in certain areas and carrying that smell around...lol.. How do you deal with that stink ?

Same way I handle people that wear to much perfume or eat stinky food or don't shower as often as they should..lol....

Anyways...point is...parents and kids talking, yelling, screaming into walkie talkies(or cell phones for that matter) is annoying and maddening and disrespectful of other peoples space and vacation imho. And lets be honest, no one whispers into these things.

At the end of the day, they aren't going to work effectively and probably not at all really for what you were hoping.

10 minutes ago, monctonguy said:

Same way I handle people that wear to much perfume or eat stinky food or don't shower as often as they should..lol....

Anyways...point is...parents and kids talking, yelling, screaming into walkie talkies(or cell phones for that matter) is annoying and maddening and disrespectful of other peoples space and vacation imho. And lets be honest, no one whispers into these things.

At the end of the day, they aren't going to work effectively and probably not at all really for what you were hoping.

Guess there isn't anything one can do about those smokers, perfume overdosers and people yapping on walkies or cell phones. If they are annoying, the only solution is to walk away unless you want to get into argument and ruin your vacation. lol

2 hours ago, monctonguy said:

Point is...even if they did work well or were effective, they are annoying. Hopefully if you and your kids do use them, its done in a considerate and respectful manner.

Add cell phones on vibrate to the list.  With Voom becoming so popular and people being connected I hate it when a phone is ringing or dinging during dinner or at a show.  Mine is on vibrate for the whole cruise. 

Can anyone please confirm a boarding question I have?  Our original boarding time was 12PM. Then, due to a coast guard inspection, the window is 11 to 2.  Does that mean that all guests can arrive earlier and board whenever they want?

My goal is to be one of the first groups on- but we are non-suite and not high tier C&A. Need to board early and make a bee line for guest services to try and score a day bed, along with the escape room.  What is the earliest that we could realistically be expecting to board? 

Thank you, as always.

8 minutes ago, Koz said:

Can anyone please confirm a boarding question I have?  Our original boarding time was 12PM. Then, due to a coast guard inspection, the window is 11 to 2.  Does that mean that all guests can arrive earlier and board whenever they want?

My goal is to be one of the first groups on- but we are non-suite and not high tier C&A. Need to board early and make a bee line for guest services to try and score a day bed, along with the escape room.  What is the earliest that we could realistically be expecting to board? 

Thank you, as always.

They don't actually enforce the boarding times anyway.  So show up when you like.

11 AM is about as early as you can expect, although I have been on ships by 10:45.

On 10/26/2017 at 6:22 AM, Tampaite said:

Thanks Matt but I don't think they are better alternatives unless you don't mind paying. Don't want to sign up for international phone service for a 4 night trip plus calling via cell-phone or even texting costs an arm and a leg.

To stay in touch on the ship, looks like walkie-talkie are an option but am not seeing any reviews or someone who may have used them in the past.

We were able to text without an international plan through the Cellular at Sea connection on the ship. I believe it was 50 cents per text sent. It's not free, but cheaper than getting internet service for all and will work throughout the ship unlike walkie talkies. Do note, however, that you should turn off cellular data so that you don't incur data charges.

1 hour ago, DocLC said:

We were able to text without an international plan through the Cellular at Sea connection on the ship. I believe it was 50 cents per text sent. It's not free, but cheaper than getting internet service for all and will work throughout the ship unlike walkie talkies. Do note, however, that you should turn off cellular data so that you don't incur data charges.

This is my favorite way of communication, incoming texts are free and wait for it.... Patented solution -> Ships are full of free public phones. If you feel that one text will not finish your conversation just find public phone and text its extension. Wait 60-120 seconds for the other person to find the phone next to him/her and you can talk for free to your heart's content :) voila !

1 hour ago, DocLC said:

I'd estimate this is the cheapest option for most families.

Newbie Questions:

(1) with regards excursions is it better to book with RC or an other reliable site such as Viator? For the atlantis submarine trip in barbados RC are £24 pp more expensive than viator.

(2) How many electrical sockets are in freedom of the seas oceanview rooms? 

(3) Is the Kilt suitable for formal wear? 

(4) If you order room service are you charged for the food  ( i know there is a service charge for room orders) 

(5) Are you able to drink 24hrs a day? 

Just now, Ray said:

(1) with regards excursions is it better to book with RC or an other reliable site such as Viator? For the atlantis submarine trip in barbados RC are £24 pp more expensive than viator.

(4) If you order room service are you charged for the food  ( i know there is a service charge for room orders) 

1. Depends on how comfortable you feel booking with private tour groups. We've always done private tours. It saves money, you can have more time, and get a more custom tour.  I do a lot of research with trip advisor and cc to pick the right guide. The guides don't want you to miss the ship either as that bad review would kill their business. We do plan to return at least an hour possibly more as I don't need that stress. 

2. Not exactly sure but in balcony and us there aren't enough. The biggest problem is charging electronics so I use a 6 charging station. 

3. There is a variety of dress even on formal nights. My last cruise had a group of costume (1920 ish) dressers and I saw several men in kilts. 

4. Only 1 service charge per order. Food isn't charged. 

5. I can't but I think so. You can get drinks pretty late and have mimosas in the am.

20 hours ago, Ray said:

It depends. Sometimes RC is better, sometimes on your own is better. There are advantages and disadvantages to both options.  I'd at least explore both possibilities.

20 hours ago, Ray said:

At least two easily reachable.  I recommend a small outlet expander like this to bring along, especially if you have many devices: http://amzn.to/2zBqZfK

20 hours ago, Ray said:

Absolutely

20 hours ago, Ray said:

No, just the service charge. Exception would be alcohol or other beverages

20 hours ago, Ray said:

Yes, there is always somewhere on the ship open (including room service) that offers at least some beverages 24 hours.