Lower prices at specialty dining in overnight ports?

JLMoran

I was wondering if the specialty dining venues have discounted prices when the ship is docked at a port overnight. My wife and agreed we'd like to try out Wonderland on our Anthem cruise to Bermuda next year, and I was thinking that booking it the night we're staying in port might be a good option.

Here's why -- my wife doesn't care for seafood at all, and she's assuming (as am I) that most restaurants in Bermuda focus on seafood since that's what's local. I'm sure we'll have lunch on land each day and that she can at least find some sandwiches or chicken entrees, but she's indicated that for dinner on the overnight she'd rather be on the ship with some more non-seafood options. If she wants to eat on board the ship anyway, then it might be good to try out Wonderland that night and still have a special evening. We'd have a nice view of Bermuda from the windows, ship will probably be emptier for dinner hour, and service might be a bit more attentive with fewer diners to tend to.

15 minutes ago, DocLC said:

When we had to overnights in Russia on the Serenade, they were advertising 20 or 25% off as we reboarded the ship, but it wasn't advertised in advance.

6 minutes ago, michelle said:

Yep agree with DocLC - they often offer discounts for dining if you stay on the ship and eat there - but again you will not usually know this in advance as its driven by the ship and the sailing.

Interesting. So since I can't know in advance if they'd offer a special for the overnight, would they give me any difference back as OBC if I made a reservation in advance, and then they did offer the discount? Or would I just have to take my chances and wait until that night to be sure of getting any discounted price?

And Michelle, thanks for the steakhouse recommendation! I saved the email with your reply to my "Bermuda Cruise" folder so I don't forget! :)

Seems to me that when we were in Bermuda last month, they were offering up the specialty restaurants at a discounted rate.  I specifically remember it being at Chops -- We didn't take advantage of it though.... We ended up having a fantastic meal at the Frog & Onion Pub (5 minute walk from the ship) while we were there.

OK, so it sounds like I should talk with the missus and see if she does in fact want to do Wonderland that night, or do that a different night and check out the land restaurants mentioned here or see if there’s another place she might to try if there’s a sale (maybe Chops or Jamie’s Italian). And I’ll relay everything explained here so she’s clear about our options and the “risk” that there may or may not be a sale.

Thanks, all!

@JLMoran here's another thought that might work.....could just book it now to hold your time and spot and then when you get onboard if there is a sale you could cancel your reservation completely and re-book it as a new booking? I thought of this because on our last cruise we booked and prepaid for Jamie's online. Then 2 days into our sailing we decided that we did not want to dine at Jamie's on the night that we booked it for. So when we cancelled that booking it was refunded back onto our onboard account and then on the last night when we dined there it was put back on.