Buffets

Cruisefan

We're going to be on the Navigator of the Seas next week & I know that when we cruised a million years ago (ok, I suppose it was only 15 years ago) buffets were a big deal. Do they still do that kind of thing? My daughters want to know if there's a midnight chocolate or dessert buffet. Where do y'all go when the family wants a snack or more late at night?

The special buffets are not around any longer that I know of.

There are occasionally "poolside" buffets during the day but no midnight dessert ones that I have seen.

Havent been on Navigator in a while but IIRC there is a Sorrentos Pizza and a Promenade Café down on the Promenade (Deck 5?) that have snacky type foods.

The Windjammer is still the buffet to go to for all meals

And a quite tasty one at that :) . Even after the Windjammer closes around 10pm, the cafe promenade is open 24/7 and has sandwiches, some sweets including cookies, and even pizza.

Edited: doh, I guess you knew about the cafe... its 7am i still need wake up juice! I imagine because of the cafe, the only special buffets I saw were on a few different days at lunch poolside.

• 2 months later...

We're going to be on the Navigator of the Seas next week & I know that when we cruised a million years ago (ok, I suppose it was only 15 years ago) buffets were a big deal. Do they still do that kind of thing? My daughters want to know if there's a midnight chocolate or dessert buffet. Where do y'all go when the family wants a snack or more late at night?

I hope you enjoyed your cruise! What did you think of the Windjammer? A coworker just returned from a cruise aboard Adventure of the Seas and was pleasantly surprised by the level of service by the staff at the buffet.

• 1 month later...

Most ships have completely abandoned the midnight buffet.

I have seen it in the past few years on Majesty of the Seas as we sailed out of Nassau, and it's possible that Enchantment of the Seas might do it, too, since they have very similar itineraries.

The rest of the fleet, however, doesn't typically have a midnight buffet.

Someone that just got off of the enchantment a couple weeks ago said there is still a midnight buffet

Perhaps it was part of a deck party or theme night? The only cruise lines I've been on that have done midnight buffets are Holland America and Disney and both were only once during the cruise and related to a them. Chocolate/desserts and pirates, respectively. I'll also say that the later was the only time I've ever seen smoked turkey legs served on a cruise.