Looking for Info on Brilliance of the Seas out of Tampa

mbk999

I'm in the midst of looking at a quick trip on the Brilliance of the Seas out of Tampa in Jan or Feb, depending on if schedules can align.  It would be a first on the Radiance class but my question is more geared towards the Brilliance herself as I think she is due for drydock later in 2018.  Has anyone had any recent experience sailing her?   I'd imagine the ship needs a refresh but I'd be surprised if it didn't still look great.  Also, it would be a first sail out of Tampa for us. I'm assuming Port to Airport is about a 30-40 minute trip but I was looking to confirm that assumption and if the port was notorious for being slow on disembarkation.    Thanks, Brian

I really liked Brilliance.  Did a cruise on her two years ago and it was a fun little ship.  

1 hour ago, mbk999 said:

I'm assuming Port to Airport is about a 30-40 minute trip but I was looking to confirm that assumption and if the port was notorious for being slow on disembarkation. 

No issues with disembarkation.  About same as any port

We live in the Tampa area and have sailed Brilliance on a few occasions. My wife's office directly overlooks the port so she enjoys seeing one of her favorite ships on a regular occasion. Great ship and certainly still looks good.

You're correct on timing from Airport to Port, 30-40 minutes at worse - probably 20 minutes outside of rush hour. I find Tampa to be a lot easier and less chaotic for getting on/off than Port Canaveral or Lauderdale.

Let me know if you need more info.

Been on her twice.....nice ship. Keep in mind the potential fog issue in Tampa.

never had an issue with disembarkation in Tampa.

What I have heard is that often this ship out of Tampa often is "chartered" for large groups which can dramatically affect your cruise. Such was the case on my second cruise on her.

Pool tables where out of order as well which was disappointing.

But I am looking forward to trying Jewel in April which is in the same class.....it is a nice ship for sure!

17 minutes ago, monctonguy said:

What I have heard is that often this ship out of Tampa often is "chartered" for large groups which can dramatically affect your cruise. Such was the case on my second cruise on her.

Good point, thanks for bringing this up.  After some discussions on here about charters, I went and checked my Brilliance sailing and was in the clear, but it's probably about time to check again.

Easiest way I think is to google the dates and ship and see what comes up.

In my case it was a religious group....probably about 1/3 of the ship...made a huge impact on the feel and vibe of the cruise to say the least.

Just something to think about when  booking or checking from time to time. Usually these charter dates would be set out about a year before on average I am guessing.

While I love the big ships, I think the Radiance class is the most elegant of all the Royal ship classes.    So much beautiful glass and a view of the ocean from nearly everywhere.  The halls are VERY narrow but that's b/c the ship itself is narrow, by design.  It's been some time since I've sailed on a Radiance class ship.  I need to get back there !

10 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

While I love the big ships, I think the Radiance class is the most elegant of all the Royal ship classes.    So much beautiful glass and a view of the ocean from nearly everywhere.  The halls are VERY narrow but that's b/c the ship itself is narrow, by design.  It's been some time since I've sailed on a Radiance class ship.  I need to get back there !

They really are the best!  Classic, old-style cruising: connect with the sea...

Interesting....I don't think that would have too much influence or affect the vibe on your cruise...on my cruise it was such an issue that I had to wander around almost every meal trying to find a table for example as they would sit their for hours eating and talking(as they didn't drink or do much else I guess) which of course allowed for much quicker bar service(not complaining..lol) but also made for much more less exciting and entertaining nightlife as well.

At $899 per person for an inside cabin on a 4 day cruise...they must be really dedicated to pay that kinda money for this niche

• 3 weeks later...

Based on my experience, Tampa is second only to Baltimore in terms of ease of getting on/off the ship.  When we sailed from Baltimore we parked in the lot right next to ship.  Not a parking structure, an actual parking lot.  Couldn't have been easier.

In Tampa you can park across the street.  As mentioned, if you fly in it's only a half hour or so from the airport.  And if you overnight downtown or in Ybor City there is the trolley that runs right to the embarkation location, and many hotels have complimentary shuttles.

I have to say, next to San Juan Tampa is my most favorite place to sail from, and I've started going there for non-cruise trips as well.